Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Diablo 2015 sheds

Diablo54

Outside
Diablo54 - Quick question for you, what percentage of sheds would you guess are found by your dog? I imagine we all walk by more than we pick up, but I'm just curious the payoff in investing in a sheddog. And congrats on the excellent season.

The dog picked up every antler this year. However he only actually found 7 on his own. Next year he will do a lot better I guarantee. Last year I picked up 50 with no dog. The year before I picked up 36 without the dog. I'm hoping for 75 next year with the dogs help.

Diablo54

Outside
Are there certain breeds of dogs that are better at finding antlers ?

I am no expert gern. But I would say most any dog that has any desire to retrieve and desire to please would make a good shed dog if you worked with it. That said I've seen a few guys with beagles that shed hunt. Gunners mom is a retrieving and pleasing fool. But he is a mutt so I wasn't real sure of what I was getting. He is turning into a good dog and hopefully next season he will be a great dog.

Diablo54

Outside
#53 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428842181.063509.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I went out again today. No dice. Guess I need SW Ohio deer densities or larger tracts of land to access. I am limited to how many acres I can search.

You have done awesome this year Taylor. I know you have worked hard for it.

I'm glad you were able to get back out after them Taylor! They would have just been plowed under and never found if it weren't for you going after them. Question, how did you search the cornfield? Were you going perpendicular to the rows or did you get in a row and just follow it for a while? Let me know if you want to go back out any time.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great job T! Another milestone year!

I wish I had the half buck numbers in my area that you do! Dang....

I always keep my eyes peeled when checking my cameras and Turk hunting in case some are still carrying though.