Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Did you forget your deer?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Apparently, a hunter left a harvested young 🦌 that is completely dressed out, laying right near the park parking lot.

Hard to believe that any person forgot to retrieve their 🦌 . Perhaps most likely that they filled their tag with a different 🦌 possibly and perhaps decided to just leave the younger one behind for the yotes or somethin.

I'd say the young🦌 has been laying there for no more than a few days. It's still frozen solid and good to go to be ✔️ in and processed.

I looked for any entry and exit wounds and from what I can tell, the 🦌 could have possibly been hit by a car because the lower jaw is all busted up and hanging. I really did not see any other entry or exit wounds, but I really didn't look very hard either.

Anyways, I was out running some errands this mornin and along the way, I stopped at a couple of public hunting areas nearby. I'm seriosly considering some potential future public hunts that are close to 🏡 for next season. This is how I came across this 🦌 discovery just moments ago.

20221206_105742.jpg

20221206_105942.jpg

20221206_105547.jpg

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Just got off the phone with ODNR. They are sending WO manager to the scene. It's now out of my hands. I hate to see a perfectly good harvested deer go to waste, especially if it can be processed and the meat turned over to a needy family. Like I said, I believe the meat is still good despite the warmer temps from yesterday. The animal is absolutely frozen solid and whatever exposed meat that I could see appeared to look and smell just fine to me.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I’m just not sure why you would go through all of the trouble to get it field dressed just to ditch it, if it was a roadkill. It would make more sense if they put their tag in a bigger buck, but still strange. I wonder if the officer could share any updates with you.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I wonder if the officer could share any updates with you.

I doubt that'll happen, but occasionally I have run into our WO for the area, and if he's the one that goes to investigate the scene, then there's a good chance I might get some further information about the ordeal later on possibly.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinyTucky

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe they were in a hurry, loaded their truck and drive away, after forgetting to load the deer up. 🤷‍♂️ I did that with a tackle box once. lol. They probably got so far away before they realized and said the heck with it. Should be pretty easy to narrow it down to who it was, if they checked the deer in. Public land kill in that county on that particular day.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Ohio used to have a wanton waste law, but I think it was only directed to waterfowl and didn’t mention deer. I don’t see it anywhere in the regs, but I also didn’t look that hard lol

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
View attachment 168013This pic was either Sunday evening or Monday. 6 deer dumped on a township road just out of Dalzell in Washington County. Damn pricks cut the backstraps out of most but took the head and hind quarters off of at least 1. DNR is aware but it still makes me sick! People suck!!

Nothing furiates more than when I come across crap like this, and I've come across piles of deer carcasses the first two hunting seasons, shortly after I first moved into the area. It took a lot of work on my part to put a fuggin stop to it, or slow it down. I constantly lookout for this kind bullshit all the time, all year long around my place during all my travels.

Throughout the previous 'TOO' hunt journals of mine, I've shared some of these types of discoveries as well, and what all I've done about it for my area. It's a constant battle, but one I'm more than willing and determined, totally committed to put a stop to it each time I come across such things. I've confronted trespassers, poachers and some real fuggin idiots while out in the field, with weapons on their person as well. I don't have a death wish or anything like that, but this is a fight that I choose to take on after observing the crazy shit I've seen through travels around my place over the past six years.

I agree with the statement, it's shit like this that makes all hunters look bad unfortunately.

Last edited: