Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dispatched Deer

Huckleberry Finn

I went out with my roommate today as he bought a Remington 700 in .223, bull barrel no less, can't wait to shoot it tomorrow... We had to run over to his parent's house and got to view and handle his grandfather's heirloom collection...very cool.

Anyways, so we are driving back the main road, houses on both sides, and pretty heavy traffic. Drive the route to work every day (for you locals, it's 43). There's a jeep on our side of the road with its four-way flashers on, off to the shoulder. I look to the left side of the road and there's a fawn that has obviously been hit; but is still alive...and a dude standing over it beating it with a billy club...multiple times. The fawn was trying to get up and the dude was just bashing its head in.

Fucking disgusting and is still bugging the hell out of me. I am not stranger to life and death but it was awful. Middle of the afternoon and there's a guy with a billy club beating the shit out of a fawn that still had its spots. Not gonna shake that one for awhile...

I understand the desire to put it out of its misery...but clubbing it to death in the middle of the day? Fuggg...

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
Ugghh, man... That's tough to even read. Sorry you had to be there for that. I'm sure that dude was just trying to to the right thing, but it makes you realize the value of a concealed carry permit. Wow that sucks. I can't get the image out of my head, either.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Yah that would suck, but it should have taken one good blow to do the job.

Huckleberry Finn

If it was in the country, I would not hesitate to pull the .22 from behind the seat and shoot it. Or a CCW. But this was in someone's front yard. What if a freaking kid saw that, hell I am tramautized.

I know, I know, quit being a pussy. I realize that there are guys on here that have slit throats for one reason or another...but who the fuck carries a billy club in their car anyways?

If there was anything good that came out of it, my roommate (who "hunts" ie he's been out on an opening day or two, but enjoys guns) says "I understand how it's the ethical thing to do that you would want to put it out of its misery, but I also see how upset you are about it, and that shows me what kind of a hunter you are. I think it's cool how hunters are the biggest conservationists and respect their game".

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
My roommate says "I understand how it's the ethical thing to do that you would want to put it out of its misery, but I also see how upset you are about it, and that shows me what kind of a hunter you are. I think it's cool how hunters are the biggest conservationists and respect their game".

Amen. It is amazing how hard it is for non-hunters to understand the respect for deer that we all have. Glad he got to see that.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I always hate seeing a deer that has just been hit struggling to get away but can't. It's a hard pill to swallow, but that's life I guess. That is the same reason I always try to take the most ethical shot I can on a deer. I am harvesting that animal to feed my family, and I want it to suffer the least it possibly has to...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I told yall they were not easy to finish off with a maglight billy club...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
honestly, you;re a nicer person than me....I would have told him off and did it the right way......that would have ticked me off too....im TOO much of a softy to sit there and watch something like that.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I know it sounds bad but the guy was trying to do the right thing. If I have good clothes on I'll opt for a shovel or billyclub(yes I carry one..lol). If I can afford to get a little bloddy I'll slit their throat. Not of it is pretty or fun, it just has to be done. If there are spectators I try and sheild what I am doing with a vechicle or my body. Sometimes they are tougher to kill than you might think. A busted spine and few internal injuries will not prevent a big deer from trying to kick your ass. Sometimes they are hard to pin down and cut. Even if I have a gun the side of the road is no place to discharge it unless you have a cop directing you to do so.

Last edited: