Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DJK Frank 16's Hunting Log

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thats a nice track right there Drake! We've all had mishaps like you had the other morning, sucks ass bigtime! Some areas IMO are already experiencing lockdown. Hopefully your area is free and clear with the big boys out and about looking for companionship when you start your stretch of work free hunting. Good luck!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
All settled into one of my favorite rut stands.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352149882.703641.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352149902.901276.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice track and good looking setup! Good luck this week Drake. You have my number. I am more than ready to load up Hank or simply help you drag if you see him fall. Just a matter of being in the stand as much as possible right now. Educated luck is what we need right now. You know your rut stands. Now you just need the luck part to fall in place! Good luck!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Hit the can call a few times tonight. Had a 110 inch (maybe less) 8 come into 15 yards. Got some pretty good iPhone video of him.

That was the only deer tonight but he sure got my blood boiling. He walked the same path in that I walked in on. Came to directly down wind then came back and forth twice over my boot tracks and never even knew I was there. Gotta love hickory smoke!

I upload the video later tonight or tomorrow between hunts.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great encounter Drake! Hope his dad or granddad does the same thing for ya! Goodluck, sweet looking spot for sure!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not a thing moving this morning. Heading home to grab lunch, vote, and possibly a quick nap. Then it's fresh smoke and back to the stand for the evening sit.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Made a move last night in a little closer to bedding area, proved to be a little TOO aggressive, as I bumped a deer going in. Got setup with the Lone wolf sticks and stand in a great tree though that I think will be huge in the coming week. Hit the can call a few times when I got settled in and it wasn't long before I had a doe and 3 fawns all over me. This is two days in a row that I've had deer all over my entrance/boot tracks and never even knew anything was wrong. I have some good Iphone video of the buck encounter from the day before as well as the does last night, that really show a deers reaction to smoke and how they just end up going back to their business.

Didn't see any bucks, but man it was a great night of action in the stand. I will try to get the video posted up today.

Here is a view from the stand out into the CRP field, with standing corn back behind it:

Here is a view back behind to my North, a small creek running through the woods with a cut bean field in the background:

I really love hanging in a double trunked tree to get my gear out in front of me for easy access:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Video from last nights hunt. These deer really wish they could figure out what the smoke smell is... :smiley_clap:

[video=youtube;JCYqNPC03Lo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCYqNPC03Lo&feature=plcp[/video]

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Here is the buck from the night before. I walked in on this bean field edge and entered the woods about 15 yards before the field split. As you can see in the video, he comes in on my boot track and goes back and forth twice before heading on his way.

[video=youtube;N3UPQ083Mcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3UPQ083Mcw&feature=plcp[/video]

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Update including the last 3 hunts:

Morning Hunts:1
Evening Hunts:3
Hours on Stand:10

Bucks Seen: 1
Does Seen: 1
Fawns/Yearlings Seen:2

Shots Taken: 0
Harvests: 0

Total Deer Seen:4

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Back up in my CRP field stand. They got the rest of the beans picked around the woods so it made for a much more quiet entrance. Wind couldn't be any better for this set tonight.