Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do you process your own deer?

Do you process your own deer?

• Yes I do!

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • I used to, but not any more.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Never have.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Never have, but would like to try it.

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Need another choice
I do Most or some of my deer

I sometimes have it done
Just because I am working to many hours and don't have the time

Last year I did 2 of the 3 doe's I got

John

Matt

Norton, OH
I do all my own, including sausages and jerky. I would like to buy a meat mixer for the sausage and when I cut with pork fat or pork shoulder. If you ask me, I get a lot better quality than whenever I took it to get processed somewhere (maybe that's just where I had it processed!) I used to get packages of backstrap with hair in em, TONS of extra blood in the wrappings... etc... Now, everything neat, clean and vacuum sealed. That, and I have a sense of pride and satisfaction knowing that from the field to the freezer, I did it all myself.

I do as well. For me the only things I need are a few tubs to but the meat in, a couple different fillet knives, a good table and a meat grinder. If I work hard I can have a deer cut up and meat trimmed and packaged in about 4 hours. Add a little time for the burger after.

tritonbill

NE Ohio
I do all my own stuff TOO. I have a meat grinder, stuffer, smoker and mixer. I wish I had a better stainless steel table! I make my own trail bologna, jerky and snack sticks. My favorite trail Bologna recipe is three LEM trail Bologna kit by far, it is always a hit when I bring it to gatherings, especially when you serve it with smoked cheddar cheese and crackers.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I process my deer in the garage. I use a rubbermade tub too put the cuts in, then clean them up on a 5ft piece of kitchen counter top. Foodsaver vacum sealer and cabela's meat grinder. I buy 50ft rolls of vacum bags from canada that work great and are 1/3 the cost. I tried butcher paper, but the meat got freezer burn after a month.

Matt

Norton, OH
Kill 2 birds with one stone on the meat grinder.
Get the wife a Kitchen Aid mixer and buy the meat grinder attatchment.
Makes great burger.

Works ok until you burn up her nice mixer, lol! If you do more than a few deer a year, it gets to be a pain! I wait until Thanksgiving when Gander has their grinder on sale for $50. I am on my second one now. If it lasts a few years, it's worth it to me, since I can't drop the dough on a nice one...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Works ok until you burn up her nice mixer, lol! If you do more than a few deer a year, it gets to be a pain! I wait until Thanksgiving when Gander has their grinder on sale for $50. I am on my second one now. If it lasts a few years, it's worth it to me, since I can't drop the dough on a nice one...

Guarantee that won't happen.. My kitchen aid mixer is a fuggin HOSS.. Grinds it as fast as i can feed it and doesn't bog a single rpm even on 1/4 power. You have to understand, this machine is made to kneed dough big as a large cantaloupe.. Grinding some meet isn't a problem. It has a 375 Watt motor. The same as Cabellas $299 commercial grade grinder.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My wife said I can process my own deer...in the farthest corner of the backyard.lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
When you grind up the venison, to make it into burger patties, do you add anything to it...like beef fat? Can the venison patties be made of JUST venison or will it be too lean and not stick together?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

I don't add anything to the grind.. But when I go to make burgers i will add about 1/4 roll of sausage and a couple crackers.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I mix in either pork trimmings or butt. I haven't used beef fat before and may be something I try.

I would like to know what percentages people use in their mix though. 90/10, 80/20, 95/5, etc...?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I mix in either pork trimmings or butt. I haven't used beef fat before and may be something I try.

I would like to know what percentages people use in their mix though. 90/10, 80/20, 95/5, etc...?
70/30 for breakfast sausage and it is still very lean and difficult to cook at times. i figure going any lower defeats the purpose of killin the deer anyway..ground is straight up

Huckleberry Finn

You know, I could be very wrong with the beef fat, it's probably pork and I'm most likely a dumbass. It's been a long week.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Joe has a good tip there also that he slipped in. If you have some grind that you are trying to make into patties and a bit of water and bread crumbs or crackers.