Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

Big H

Medina
JIM IS SPOT ON. The big issue IMHO is that if you give these pups away, would be the people that would be taking a free Lab. Will they be responsible enough to get them fixed so the inbred issue stops with the pups? Different situation, but we have the people that buy our Miniature Schnauzer puppies sign a contract that they are not to be bred. It won't stop them from breeding, but they won't be able to register the pups unless they forge papers also. Line breeding dogs can be a very good thing, if done correctly, but inbred and as close as your pups would be? I would most likely follow Jim's train of thought, but not the method...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Even if they were papered and I gave them away, nothing guarantees those pups wouldn't produce mixed breed or mutt litters, so I don't think I own that burden. I'll be honest about their lineage and what people do with that is on them. I can charge $1,000 and if someone is dumb enough to pay that, they could still breed and sell "papered" dogs if they wanted.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'm glad your having the pups... As for selling them I'd be against that... Put the shoe on the other foot of you were buying one from someone else... You probably wouldn't like it... I'm sure put them up for adoption on TOO and they will go to good homes...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What kind of pups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd guess them at 90% or better lab. She's all lab in appearance and behavior, great natural drive and instinct. He has some other big breed in him like St. Bernard.

IMG_20200224_090301.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm glad your having the pups... As for selling them I'd be against that... Put the shoe on the other foot of you were buying one from someone else... You probably wouldn't like it... I'm sure put them up for adoption on TOO and they will go to good homes...

Sure, if someone isn't honest with me. If you know all the details and willingly take one, how am I in the wrong? Open, free market transaction.

Unless they are papered dogs most people have no idea what they are getting or perhaps what breed might even be mixed in. By being honest from the get-go there is no reason anyone would get upset on what they are getting. You could also only give to people that you know would have them spayed/neutered, or at least promise to do it.

Reactions: 5Cent and Dustinb80

Fletch

Supporting Member
Sure, if someone isn't honest with me. If you know all the details and willingly take one, how am I in the wrong? Open, free market transaction.
I agree... As long as the situation is explained and nothing goes untold, there is nothing wrong with selling them...

Reactions: bowhunter1023