Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd certainly think the winter coat is long gone at this point. Then again, how hot is it right now? Doing some extra shedding to best the heat? I dunno. Hope she is alright.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After I brushed, washed, and brushed again, I think it's just a massive shed that lingered until it got really hot. I didn't see much in terms of signs for concern, so we'll see how she is when we get back.

These two on the other hand, are great campers. They lay in the shade all day and do their business when we go on walks in the woods around camp. It's nice having them in camp.

FullSizeR.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After I brushed, washed, and brushed again, I think it's just a massive shed that lingered until it got really hot. I didn't see much in terms of signs for concern, so we'll see how she is when we get back.

The two on the other hand, are great campers. They lay in the shade all day and do their business when we go on walks in the woods around camp. It's nice having them in camp.

View attachment 130470
Hard to beat a good, well-behaving dog. 2 of them is even better!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
June-bug turns 10 months old in a couple weeks. She is the polar opposite of her mother, from a temperament aspect… which I’m very thankful for. Betty is good around most people and other dogs but she’s always been unpredictable around young kids. That’s a worrisome issue to deal with and I’ve always had to keep her kenneled up when kids were around. With June, it’s no concern whatsoever. She’s as friendly and lovey-dovey as can be. A huge breath of fresh air.

As busy as I’ve been with the house and the move and work the past 6 months, her training regimen has really been delayed. But all in all she’s coming along nicely. Very obedient and cooperative, great retrieving desire, and excellent marking skills so far. I think she’s going to be a real joy to have in the boat and the duck blind in the coming years.

421B38B8-B023-4ADD-A132-486082B2CB03.jpeg
35735E8D-54F8-4075-9E7F-1C59C5B4B3EE.jpeg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Can’t say enough about this little pup. I was helping the local club today with their annual hunt test, so I figured I might as well run June in the ‘Started’ flight while I was there. I really wasn’t sure what to expect because she’s only actually retrieved a real bird like 2 or 3 times. The first series was water… and the first mark would be longer than any water retrieve I’d had her do so far (55-60 yds) lol. But she never missed a beat. Water series, land series… didn’t matter. She performed flawlessly and behaved like a pro in the holding blinds and at the line. Never pulled a lead tight all day. Walked at heel and was steady as a rock. All this… and I’ve basically just neglected her for the past 6 months. 😅. I think I need to market this new breakthrough training regimen. Seriously though, it was so nice to run a dog that isn’t a fire-breather like Betty. I think I can get used to this laid back, calm demeanor sort of thing. I might actually get serious about the hunt test game again.

9FF30822-7CFA-44BF-A484-685C31EAAB71.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That'll make you feel like a new man. Recharged your own personal training batteries I'm sure. I'm guessing the dogs rarely run out of juice.

Reactions: jagermeister

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Love running test. I’m more nervous that trying to shit a peach seed during the test. Lol. Started I was cool but the upper levels I’m a train wreck inside

Reactions: jagermeister

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Love running test. I’m more nervous that trying to shit a peach seed during the test. Lol. Started I was cool but the upper levels I’m a train wreck inside
Ha! Yea, there’s definitely a lot less going on in Started so it’s easier to stay calm and focused. Seasoned and Finished, with all their complexities, can absolutely create some stress for the handler. That’ll be the case no matter what dog you’re running. But there’s no denying some dogs give you more additional stress than others! Lol. Betty is that way… always amped to the max… just trying to get her to the line without her falling apart gave me anxiety. I don’t think this new dog will be that way. I think she’ll be one of those dogs you don’t really worry about. So then it’s just a matter of whether I can keep things together myself. Easier said than done! We shall see.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Does anyone have any experience with Brittany’s? Looking into possibly getting a pup.
Great, talented little dogs. Awesome in the upland. Somewhat high-maintenance hair/coat, but nothing unmanageable. Like most bird dogs, they can be very high strung and require a LOT of physical AND mental stimulation in order to be happy. Never saw one I didn’t like though.