Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Done with Rage, Any suggestions?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Muzzy 3 blades all the way Greg!! I will be more than willing to send you the MX4's I have, they don't fly for chit in my setup and it's tuned well....just don't understand it. I will stick with my original 3 blad Muzzy 100grs for a long, long time!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I still prefer expandables or G5 Montec because I don't have to change my POA. I can get other fixed blades to fly right but they never hit the same spot as my field tips. My OCD kicks in and it becomes a "thing". If I use my Rocky Mountain Snipers (Rage before they were Rage) or Grim Reapers I am GTG.

Beentown

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm not much help on this one. I started hunting with 180gr. snuffer's and moved onto the 125gr. Thunderheads about 11-12 years ago. Then about 5-6 years ago dropped down to the 100gr. BH. I feel that if a BH has a good edge on it the ribs won't stand a chance since they are pretty easy to cut through with today's bows.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I shot a buck with the Crimson Talon in 2005 and it was amazing as to the amount of blood that was on the ground. I didn't need to track the deer, because it dropped in view, but I wanted to see the trail that it produced. Believe me, the blood trail was ridiculous! It looked like someone was walking behind the deer with a garden hose on full blast! What a blood trail ....

I went away from these heads due to the blades being really brittle and breaking off in the target while sighting in. Great flight from the bow, but very tough to tune prior to the season without trashing them in the target. Have they changed the construction of the head?

Ray

Yes, they made the blades thicker in the last couple years. I had the same problem at first, but the newer heads work fine for target shooting, except they screw in, so you have to unscrew them back out of the target.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Thunderheads have killed more deers than any other 10 brands. Thunderhead 125's for me, 3 blade. Those heads kill them as good now as they did 20 years ago..

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
100 grain muzzy 3 blade.

If muzzy was to stop making them and they werent available any more I might try the muzzy phantoms or the magnus buzzcuts.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, I have nine Rage heads. As soon as I get them sold, I'm gonna invest that money in a pack of the Montec CS's, A pack of Slick Tricks, and the third is a toss up. Which ever ends up flying the best will be the ones I hunt with.

I may take you up on the Maguns offer Ray, I'll get ahold of you once I'm ready.

I looked at the Crimson Talon Heads, and thought they would probably fly great, but with the curve in the blade, I was afraid that maybe they wouldn't get as good of penetration as a straight fixed blade head. Maybe my way of thinking is wrong, but in my mind that's how it plays out. I also saw them being an issue when target shooting from the aspect of getting them out of the target.

I guess we will see what heads I will end up shooting. If all else fails, I will go back to the Muzzy heads.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Dad shoots Thunderheads, and I used them back in the day. I just like things over here on the Fruitcake side of the street, dick...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Keep running down the gay side of the street! THUNDERHEADS you simple fuck:smiley_bril:

Only steers and queers shoot them damn Thunderheads... and swanny you don't look much like a steer to me. :smiley_armscrossed::smiley_crocodile: