Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Drop tines: Why the fascination?

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
We all love to deer hunt and have all dreamed about seeing a monster set of antlers cruising through the woods steadily making it's way towards our stands. The reasons vary(deer mounts, rattling horns, knife handles and etc), but what is the fascination with a drop tine buck?

I'm not an expert on scoring deer so if I'm wrong please correct me, but it can't be because of score. Wouldn't a single drop tine deduct from the overall score? Suppose someone shot a perfect 17 point that scored 215 inches, but that odd six inch drop tine ruined the chance of a world record.

So what's the fascination? I've seen people get worked up about a small 100 inch buck with a drop tine. Why are they considered the holy grail?

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Because of their uniqueness. Drop tines are very rare. Kinda like the buck Jesse is after - it will have a lot of deductions but it sure is a one of a kind rack.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I think JJ nailed this one. It is the uniqueness of the rack for me but I like the non-typical more then a perfect rack just because I like the character that is in the shape. It's just one of those wonders of the whitetail deer :D.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
First off, fuck score when it comes to drops. Nets are for fish in the case you shoot a typical with drops. If you shoot one that scores as a non-typical, then you get credit for them. That's how ludicris the scoring system is IMO.

Secondly, for me it's the idea of killing something with handles! I've always wanted to kill something with double-drops so you cold hold them in the hero shots!!! They are unique and rare, making them desirable. Plus, they are just cool!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
They are extremely rare and very different........

Hey, I know a guy that killed a droptine buck one time:smiley_chinrub:

rrr

I'm not an expert on scoring deer so if I'm wrong please correct me, but it can't be because of score. Wouldn't a single drop tine deduct from the overall score? Suppose someone shot a perfect 17 point that scored 215 inches

Me either, I really am clueless...but wouldn't you need that to be a 16 or 18 point that's symmetrical for it to be 'perfect'? Somebody write up a how to score your deer for dummies!

Personally, I am in no business to get picky about antlers. I haven't hunted long enough, don't get to hunt enough, and have not been successful enough to limit myself - if doesn't have spots, it's a target. That said, I do like the standard huge regular ones better than nontypicals, more classy. However, a buck like the one Cotty posted last night or Hook Jr does get my attention.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Me either, I really am clueless...but wouldn't you need that to be a 16 or 18 point that's symmetrical for it to be 'perfect'? Somebody write up a how to score your deer for dummies!

Personally, I am in no business to get picky about antlers. I haven't hunted long enough, don't get to hunt enough, and have not been successful enough to limit myself - if doesn't have spots, it's a target. That said, I do like the standard huge regular ones better than nontypicals, more classy. However, a buck like the one Cotty posted last night or Hook Jr does get my attention.

It would be a 16 point with a drop tine, thus making it a 17 point.

Fuggin' law students. ;)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
180. Duh... And a 165 plus class 13+ point with a 10 inch drop the next season lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If they both was standing there at the same time, I would go for the Character not the higher scoring buck. There is just something about an odd looking rack for me. Just looks like there is a better story behind it then a " Perfect " rack.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
So if you had a chance to shoot a legit net 180 ten point or a gross 140 inch 13 point with a 10 inch drop time which buck would you shoot?

That's borderline apples and oranges for me TF. If you said a net 160 10 or a 140 with the 10" drop, then I'd take the 140. A 180 is a whole different class of animal even in comparison to the 140 with the drop.

Kaiser878

ohio
It all started for me in 08 before I had my own cams and was using my buddies.
He got the name double D, and I have been sick ever since! I havent seen him since jan of 09. I am positive he is still alive. I have heard of no one shooting him and I heard he was seen last year but he never visited me agaiN!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If they both was standing there at the same time, I would go for the Character not the higher scoring buck. There is just something about an odd looking rack for me. Just looks like there is a better story behind it then a " Perfect " rack.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D.

You like them racks wif one high and looking at you, and the other pointing at the floor but lookin at the wall. All google eyed. You'd pick that up in a bar before the perfect matched set of Ds.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
My 08 buck was a main frame ten with double drops (see avatar). He gross scored something like 164 and some change. There was very little deductions through his main frame. Less than 3 inches if I recall. Yet he netted 156 4/8" because of the double drops.

I personally always said that I wished I would get the opportunity to just see a drop tine buck on the hoof. I feel that they are that rare. Maybe I am wrong but just felt that way. I didn't even know that he was a drop tine buck until I found him after the track job. Talk about an awesome surprise on top of a already great deer.

I really think it is due to just the rarity of the rack. Think about it. If you could have your pick between a regular pearl or a black pearl which would you choose? I would choose the black pearl because of how rare they are.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is a great buck Steve. I am still going to give you crap for posting it everytime you get a chance though. hahahaha.

It is just the rarity and uniqueness of them for me. Just sets them apart and seems to be a genetic thing not available in all areas. I could be wrong on this one though.