Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

East Palestine Derailment and Fire

Walkercomp

Long time linger 1 or 2 time poster. So I work for a rail road. This is not a normal thing. But what I will say is the (defect detectors) aka "sensors" do give wrong messages to trains sometimes(over the radio). But wrong they are or not, trains do have to stop to walk the train to see what they find. But the bearings on wheels get hot very fast. We as employees call in trains to let them know about smoke or smells we observe. The detectors are randomly throughout depending on traffic and speed. Anyway just my two cents.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Long time linger 1 or 2 time poster. So I work for a rail road. This is not a normal thing. But what I will say is the (defect detectors) aka "sensors" do give wrong messages to trains sometimes(over the radio). But wrong they are or not, trains do have to stop to walk the train to see what they find. But the bearings on wheels get hot very fast. We as employees call in trains to let them know about smoke or smells we observe. The detectors are randomly throughout depending on traffic and speed. Anyway just my two cents.

Thanks for the informative post. No joke on the longtime lurker, 6 years and your first post. Welcome to the light. 😅👍

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Welcome, you a NS employee?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Welcome, feel free to continue to post, new perspectives are a good thing.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Looks like they’re going too blow it. Controlled vs unexpected.
Good thing Dewine decided too show up, landing the helicopter on the HS football field….. 🙄

Walkercomp

I appreciate it guys, it has been too long, I just dont like to post things. I'm a 37yr old with no social media except here lol.. maybe things will change now.. so i work for csx, as a signal maintainer. So basically I test/get called out for switches, crossings, signals you see along the tracks. We dont dont do track work. Basically if you see lights on the rail, then that's what we do. But what I've been told from "old timers" if you see candy cane tanks derail drive away as fast as possible and anything chloride get out! Just too damn bad to see what's going on up there. These big companies wont say what's really happening

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I appreciate it guys, it has been too long, I just dont like to post things. I'm a 37yr old with no social media except here lol.. maybe things will change now.. so i work for csx, as a signal maintainer. So basically I test/get called out for switches, crossings, signals you see along the tracks. We dont dont do track work. Basically if you see lights on the rail, then that's what we do. But what I've been told from "old timers" if you see candy cane tanks derail drive away as fast as possible and anything chloride get out! Just too damn bad to see what's going on up there. These big companies wont say what's really happening
Buddy who works for NS does the same. They’ve been wearing him out this week.
I come from a RR family. Grandfather, conductor. Father worked in the rail yards. Both for the Erie Lackawanna and father retired from Conrail. Brother retired from NS and have a half dozen friends who are with NS doing the same as you.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
5B4B8AE8-7875-4F21-ACDA-52D1108FBD8C.jpeg

Looks like they did it!