Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Enclosed Trailer

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Worth bringing this to the top.

I've been shopping recently. Doing lots of homework. It seems most manufacturers have 2-3 lines or grades available. I need sturdy. Was planning on Stealth brand but changed my mind. Seems most of these are built in Elkhart. The beefier models have 16" on center beams on the floors and walls. Others not quite as close. The higher end models have square tubing for wall and roof supports. 3/4" floors seems standard. 3/8" walls is what mine has but not all do.

I ended up with Cargo Express Pro Series. 7x20' with 6'6" ceiling height. One piece bowed roof. No leaks on my flat roof Interstate (knock on wood) but it makes me wonder if that will be an issue down the road. Glad the new one isn't flat. 5200# Dexter axles. Brakes on all four wheels. The smooth sided trailers are sharp but this one does not have smooth sides. I can tolerate seeing rivet heads. Charcoal color should not show the streaking like a white one so I hope it isn't an issue.

Like CSpot said, used holds crazy value. I shed a tear or two when I wrote the check. In the end the old saying "Buy once, cry once" is what I was thinking. Used for $4000-4500 (or more) in this size was crazy. If they had zero damage they were priced as high as new and sometimes more. Save a couple grand, buy new tires, need to do bearings or brakes. . . You are close to new price again. Nope. Wasn't going to roll the dice on used.

Attachments

• IMG_20190418_171749.jpg
    IMG_20190418_171749.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20190418_171729.jpg
    IMG_20190418_171729.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_20190418_171723.jpg
    IMG_20190418_171723.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20190418_171714.jpg
    IMG_20190418_171714.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 274

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice, unbelievable the price of trailers.... Just brought my trailer home from Tennessee. Saved enough to well make it worth the trip down there.
Nice thing about a boxed is it’s a home away from home if needed...
What’d they want for an external door up front?

Looking good Phil!! I've been looking for just a landscape/wood side type trailer and can't believe how much they are asking for used on them as well. Found one for $500 finally til I looked underneath and realized half the frame in the front was completely rotted away.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Boxed frame trailers are great and structurally much more stronger but what makes them stronger makes them weaker as well, they rot from the inside out over their lifecycle.

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice, unbelievable the price of trailers.... Just brought my trailer home from Tennessee. Saved enough to well make it worth the trip down there.
Nice thing about a boxed is it’s a home away from home if needed...
What’d they want for an external door up front?

Comes standard with extra door up front. Passenger side.

Figured I'd bring this to the top for a quick utility trailer question since it has been a good discussion. I am looking at a wood sided single axle utility trailer and I know next to nothing about them. My plan is to haul our lawn tractor down a few times through the year, John Deere 425 w/ 60" deck @1100 lbs. total. The place I am planning to go to this weekend has 2 different ones.

One is a Goldstar with rectangular steel tubing for the tongue and frame, 3000 lb. axle. Not sure on payload.

The other is AMO with steel C-channel tongue and frame, 3500 lb. spring axle. Payload is 2090 lbs.

Not sure what is better, tubing or C-channel. Also, what else should I be aware of??

Reactions: MoonLab and 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes. Good point, J. Treat the floors too. Even with minimal usage, those boards tend to rot. If you can keep it under a carport or out of the major elements it will help. If one has bearing buddies that is a bonus. Sure helps with ease of greasing the bearings. Otherwise it is a little more work which tends to be neglected.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Buy trailers made in a northern states, avoid southern made trailers.

WTF I am hoping this is a joke

C channel over rectangle frame also. Rectangle will hold moisture/condensation and rust from the inside out down the road.

Drill holes to allow moisture to drain out, but up there if you use it in the winter it will get salt in through the holes.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
WTF I am hoping this is a joke

Can't speak for Sam. I won't buy one of the Georgia made enclosed trailers. I shopped them. They are cheaper. I know some guys that bought them. Saved about a grand. Less than a year and they were falling apart. Warped ramp doors and such. There are some companies down there getting a bad reputation for junk enclosed trailers.

Reactions: Big_Holla