Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Equifax Data Hack.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Got 3 out of 4 done.
Equifax seems to be having problems today will try back later.
As more people learn of it they will rush to secure their data. Sadly most will only do equifax which is why their system is bogging.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Transunion was easy and is locked
equifax is flooded and online and phone are unavailable
experian is requiring me to send paper copies and utility bills and a drivers license in?!?!?!?! :tantrum:

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I keep getting the same thing with EQF and EXP, unable to process your request?!!? on the phone and website! They then request me to submit paper information...fugggg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What pisses me off about the whole thing, they're capitalizing on a breach and making money doing it... With a breach of this magnitude they should wave the fees...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What pisses me off about the whole thing, they're capitalizing on a breach and making money doing it... With a breach of this magnitude they should wave the fees...

I actually filed a CFPB complaint yesterday for that exact reason. For those that don't know the CFPB is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. They are a financial institutions worst nightmare right now and have been laying fines like crazy.

Charging a fee for consumers to lock access to their credit report information constitutes consumer fraud. Consumers do not have a say the collection of credit and personal information by credit reporting bureaus. If not for the collection of information by those companies, consumers would not need to enroll or pay to protect it. In short consumers are being forced to purchase a product from a company to protect information that the company collected. The personal information exposed through the recent hack of Equifax can be used to validate credit information from TranUnion and Experian. A breech of one agencies data should constitute a breech of all agencies data as the underlying personal data is not unique to each agency. Items such as social security numbers, current and previous addresses, and other information used for the purpose of issuing credit is unique to the consumer and not each agency. Since data from one breech can be used to fraudulently validate a consumers identity with another agency a fee should not be charged in any state for a consumer to protect themselves against fraudulent access.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We're both set as far as all 4 being froze. Both may have been compromised though. Time will tell....:smiley_confused_vra

Thanks Joe and Brian for the info.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn, I like your post to them... Puts exactly what I felt into words....

I actually emailed the attorney general and said the same... They called me today and said, although they agree, they have no jurisdiction in the matter...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Damn, I like your post to them... Puts exactly what I felt into words....

I actually emailed the attorney general and said the same... They called me today and said, although they agree, they have no jurisdiction in the matter...
He's right as Ohio doesn't actually have a law limiting the bureaus fees or requiring a freeze to be free like other states do. No basis for a lawsuit. Your state legislature would be a good target for that email.

Or file a CFPB complaint. Its a pretty easy process.