Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ESPN reports Urban Meyer on paid administrative leave

Jamie

Ohio
if any of that is true and accurate, there is surely nothing left of Zach Smith's credibility, but once again, these are allegations for now. not sure what any of that has to do with why Urban Meyer is being investigated or why Brett McMurphy has an axe to grind. his poetic license has officially expired.

Reactions: giles

Chass

The Hills
Anyone noticed how ESPN is completely ignoring all the investigative journalism from Jeff Snook. Wonder what would make them want to spin it in some particular direction. I'm sure it has nothing to do with OSU being Big Ten which has their own network. Surely not.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Yes, this is all a sham against poor ole Urban, haha. So what would you guys think if our Governor covered up one of his top aides beating his wife a decade ago? Then said Governor, who is an absolute control freak, like every other big time Governor, rehired that aide at his new job, covered for the same transgressions, and a whole bunch of new disturbing transgressions, all the while claiming: "I didn't know". You guys would be saying "uh, yea right". That what everybody who isnt a rabid buckeye fan is saying because it's pretty obvious.

Mcmurphy doesn't have an axe to grind with osu personally. IMO. This is his job. And dude does it good. He has more shit up his sleeve to unload, im sure of it.

So how many of you truly believe Urban, master control freak, who had staffers running background checks on recruits while they were visiting, had no clue about all this stuff?

Reactions: Jackalope

Jamie

Ohio
I guess my problem with all of this is that I can't imagine why covering for Zack Smith would be worth risking one of the most lucrative and desirable coaching jobs in college football? Meyer may be a control freak, among other things, but one thing he certainly is not is a dipshit who doesn't know the rules and the parameters of his contract. Do any of you Buckeye haters really think he is that dumb?

Jamie

Ohio
just because he knew something about something does not necessarily make him guilty of failing to do his job, follow NCAA rules, OSU policy, or violating his contract. as I understand it, that is the premise of this investigation. ever heard of "plausible deniability"? that is part and parcel with being a leader of any sort because there is always some little bitch humping your leg when you are in a position of responsibility and authority.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No matter the outcome, someone is going to be bitching. That is all I will predict.

Personally, is hate to lose Urban. Of he was guilty, aided and assisted in covering things up, and deserves what he gets? I'm going to wish our new coach good luck. If he was not guilty of anything, then I hope he doesn't get tossed out with the bathwater. Knowing Smith was an ass years ago doesn't mean he knew it was continuing. Doesn't mean he was aware of EVERY single thing Smith was doing. How are we to know? As a fan I can only wait and listen to the outcome. It is what it is.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The haters sure aren’t gonna like the discipline Urban is getting. Lol

I don't think it has anything to do with being a hater or not and really that should have zero weight on anyone's opinion. If Nick Sabin knowingly hired a wife beater then actively covered it up to keep him on the payroll, then his ass should be fired. The same for urban, the same for any coach no matter their team. On the flip side if he is innocent and genuinely had zero clue then he shouldn't be held accountable. And by zero clue I don't mean some BS "my wife and everyone on my staff and their wives knew but I had no idea, and you can't prove I did" stuff. I'm talking genuinely had no idea.

What the committee found was that he knew, turned a blind eye to it, and didnt report it. But they stated that he did not actively try to cover it up. An argument could be made that knowing about it and doing nothing to include failing to report it is covering it up. But that was for them to decide.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wonder how many of those who are after his head would have handled this situation IF they hired a friend or family member of a mentor or really close friend? Let’s face it, this wasn’t just some random coach he had no ties to or an axe murderer easy to send to the chair(fire). I think Urb finally said enough is enough after hearing about the trespassing charge and fired him plus his mentor, Earle Bruce had passed on so the sense of obligation had weakened some I bet.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
FB_IMG_1534995248072.jpg

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What really blows my mind in all of this are those who are completely incapable of remaining impartial by removing any fandom from the situation and looking at it on it's face. And that door swings both ways both buckeye fans and others. Rather disturbing to see that we as humans allow something as silly as a game to sway our sense of right and wrong so deeply.

At the end of the day this is a person who knew OSU boosters visited her in Fl to pressure her to drop the charges, knowingly hired him two years later, purposefully, never mentioned a thing because "he wasn't charged" then claims ignorance when it surfaces publically that the violence was still happening despite his wife, his staff, and all their wives knowing.

While the "I didn't know" loophole of plausible deniability was an effective excuse it doesn't make him any less of a verified shitbag. And anyone that can't objectively look at this on its face and come to the same conclusion causes me to seriously question their moral aptitude.

I've said this from the beginning. What university he works for, and what university you root for, should have ZERO bearing on the formulation of an opinion.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They all do shit. Some get caught. Some don't. Roll Tide. lol

Two years ago two star Alabama players were caught that summer sitting in a car smoking weed in a park. There was also two stolen handguns in the car. The prosecutor dropped all charges because "they're young kids with a lot going for them and we don't want to screw up their lives over a mistake". Sabin let them play they season because they weren't officially charged. I thought then, and still think, that was complete BS. It's not a matter of getting caught, getting away with it, or who you root for, right is right and wrong is wrong.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What really blows my mind in all of this are those who are completely incapable of remaining impartial by removing any fandom from the situation and looking at it on it's face. And that door swings both ways both buckeye fans and others. Rather disturbing to see that we as humans allow something as silly as a game to sway our sense of right and wrong so deeply.

At the end of the day this is a person who knew OSU boosters visited her in Fl to pressure her to drop the charges, knowingly hired him two years later, purposefully, never mentioned a thing because "he wasn't charged" then claims ignorance when it surfaces publically that the violence was still happening despite his wife, his staff, and all their wives knowing.

While the "I didn't know" loophole of plausible deniability was an effective excuse it doesn't make him any less of a verified shitbag. And anyone that can't objectively look at this on its face and come to the same conclusion causes me to seriously question their moral aptitude.

I've said this from the beginning. What university he works for, and what university you root for, should have ZERO bearing on the formulation of an opinion.

That is a big statement. Broad statement. First off, I think it is tough to remove ourselves from our loves. In this case, there are many who truly love the Buckeyes. Secondly, they went over tens of thousands of emails and texts. They reviewed NCAA rules, his contract, state and federal laws. They found him not guilty. Is he guilty? I truly don't know. NONE of us do. We weren't in this ordeal. We didn't live it. I'll grant you this: Sure seems unlikely he didn't know "something". No way of any of us to ever know though. That sits on Urban's conscience. Not mine. Don't question my moral aptitude over it.

Reactions: OO2 and Bigslam51

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I could word my opinion in several different directions....But I wasn't there and don't know of anyone personally who was....
Unbiased observation: People against Urban prefer other teams. People for Urban are OSU fans. The hammer went down. Play Ball!

Reactions: "J"

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I thought it would be an "all or nothing" conclusion. I figured if he was guilty, which was obvious he was, then they would fire him. Not guilty, back to work. I dont get the three game suspension, but, oh well. See ya a couple days after Thanksgiving

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They found him not guilty.

No they found that he knew and didn't say anything, but didn't engage in a coverup. Like I said earlier an argument could be made that knowing and remaining silent while turning a blind eye is engaging in a coverup. He is guilty of exactly what people thought he was guilty of which is knowingly hiring an abusive coach and turning a blind eye in order to keep him. the university worded it in a way to make it sound like that's not what happened while admitting thats exactly what happened.

It should not be hard to remove one's love for something when objectively looking at a situation. If it is then God help anyone who has that person on their Jury.

From the report.

"Although neither Urban Meyer nor Gene Smith condoned or covered up the alleged domestic abuse by Zach Smith, they failed to take sufficient management action relating to Zach Smith’s misconduct and retained an Assistant Coach who was not performing as an appropriate role model for OSU student-athletes. Permitting such misconduct to continue is not consistent with the values of the University and reflects poorly on Coach Meyer"