Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ever find your dog impaled?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have never seen or heard of this happening to a dog before. Glad to hear that everything is going to work out fine for Hank. Probably can't say the same thing for your wallet though.:smiley_depressive:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Huh, I was feeling bad after my $150 vet bill cause my dog has sensitive skin and can't keep from getting ear infections. $150 is a drop in the bucket compared to what yours is gonna be...hope I am wrong. Did they do X-rays? The stitching up and such isn't anymore work than fixing one so hopefully it won't be TOO bad of a bill.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is what the doc did for him. Put him under, cut an opening at the top of the stick, removed stick, and put a "drain" in it. The drain material looks like the rubbery material they use for rehab of injuries. Sutures around the drain, 2 different pills to take and some liquid in a syringe which I believe is for the pain. He is a chicken most of the time, but took all this like a prize fighter. Never whimpered, whelped, and only whined a little bit. Tough s.o.b.

As for me, I did cry a little bit as I wrote the check today. $320. Dang.

Here are some pics of the finished product. I hear that bitches dig scars!

Pictures of his stick next to a bottle of soap for reference, his drain, and his cone head! He ripped this off and Drake helped me put it back on him. Looked like we were wrestling a bag of squirrels. I had to put it back on him twice since. It is now held together with duct tape!

Attachments

• IMG00819-20110609-1134 Hanks conehead.jpg
    IMG00819-20110609-1134 Hanks conehead.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG00821-20110609-1134 Hanks drain.jpg
    IMG00821-20110609-1134 Hanks drain.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG00818-20110609-1115 Hanks stick.jpg
    IMG00818-20110609-1115 Hanks stick.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 111

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Here is what the doc did for him. Put him under, cut an opening at the top of the stick, removed stick, and put a "drain" in it. The drain material looks like the rubbery material they use for rehab of injuries. Sutures around the drain, 2 different pills to take and some liquid in a syringe which I believe is for the pain. He is a chicken most of the time, but took all this like a prize fighter. Never whimpered, whelped, and only whined a little bit. Tough s.o.b.

As for me, I did cry a little bit as I wrote the check today. $320. Dang.

Here are some pics of the finished product. I hear that bitches dig scars!

Pictures of his stick next to a bottle of soap for reference, his drain, and his cone head! He ripped this off and Drake helped me put it back on him. Looked like we were wrestling a bag of squirrels. I had to put it back on him twice since. It is now held together with duct tape!

If someone would have had that on camera they could have made some money... he didn't want that thing back on for sure! :smiley_crocodile: Good idea on the duct tape!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Put a dropper full of tea-tree oil around the wound. Not on it because it'll burn, just around it.... He will not be licking or sticking his nose anywhere around it. Works like a charm when your dog has a sore / hotspot / or anything you don't want them licking. He should get used to the Elizabethan collar today though. But they're a pain to keep checking.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Duct tape was still holding up this afternoon. Looks like he was giving it a run for it's money though. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gave him his meds again tonight and had to reinforce the duct tape. Pretty soon you won't be able to see the clear e-collar, just a 10lb duct tape ceremonial head dress around Hank's head. lol