Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite ground venison jerky recipe?

Schu72

Streetsboro
Made a batch of high mountain hunters blend. Added just a little extra seasoning. Very happy with the result. Definitely my favorite so far. Sweet and spicy was the worst.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Best shot jerky I've made so far not because of the seasoning but texture. I usually don't do anything to bold or spicy so the kids enjoy it. Once groundwith a fine plate. Added nearly doublethe water I would for summer sausage. Mixed and kneaded very well until tacky. Which I think that was my downfall in prior batches. this needed no binder deer only. I'm hooked.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I use the jerky seasoning/cure packages that they sell at Walmart. Mix with ground venison then place into a jerky shooter and shoot it onto dehydrator trays. Rotate trays every hour for around 5-6 hours. Taste great and has good texture. I bought the dehydrator kit at Walmart around 20 years ago, so I’m not sure if they still carry it but I’ve been able to get the seasoning and cure pretty easily. An added bonus is the aroma that stays in the house for a few hours.😂👍

Johnny44

I use Nesco brand. Just recently got some Dill Pickle, new favorite; Mango Habanero, meh; Teriyaki is always on point. Their Cracked Pep and garlic is good. Original flavor is good. Once through the grinder, anymore and it has trouble staying together. I don't want shoe leather by any means, but I don't want sand granules either.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Did 5lb with the hillbilly seasoning blend. My kids will eat it all by monday. Going to order more seasoning tonight.

Sauger

Warsaw
If I remember right the package seasons 25lbs of meat. I bump this down to 20lbs per package. I also may be thinking of sausage seasoning. Either way take 5lbs of meat out and it will help with the flavors.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If I remember right the package seasons 25lbs of meat. I bump this down to 20lbs per package. I also may be thinking of sausage seasoning. Either way take 5lbs of meat out and it will help with the flavors.
If you do that make sure to also cut down on the cure.

Reactions: Sauger

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
20230201_111517.jpg

This batch is Leggs Custom Blend Seasonings. Teriyaki Flavor. I skipped directions and used 1 oz per pound. Approx 1/4 cup cold water was added as well.

Recently used Hi Mountain Hickory Flavor and it is pretty awesome also.