Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Feed/Bait ban coming?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny.. Threw 2 50 lb. bags of corn and a 50 lb. bag of sweet feed in the jet sled and drug it a 1/4 mile in and fed the deer... They are already on it... Feels good to see they are eating good knowing this is a huge tract of mountainous woods with little to eat...

Attachments

• eee4e4d2-f703-4c3e-980e-e992a5827530.png
    eee4e4d2-f703-4c3e-980e-e992a5827530.png
    456.3 KB · Views: 81

Jamie

Ohio
I saw a guy's hunt recap this fall online who did basically this. The recap detailed the 20+ sits on bait from ground blinds until finally the deer slipped up and daylighted, and got shot. My reaction to this sort of thing...congratulations? I guess? That's what "bowhunting" is now to people? :confused:

Look, different people hunt in different ways. That's never going to change. It just seems so night/day different to approach deer hunting in such different ways, but we're still all lumped in under the same umbrella as "deer hunters" to the state of Ohio. Just because we are all trying to end up at the same finish line doesn't mean we're running the same race.
Careful, now. 20 years ago I was branded a no good s.o.b. divisive elitist prick for making that statement. It was just as true and accurate then as it is today.

Ohio
Never baited growing up. I enjoy finding sign and pinch points much more. I dump corn on occasions to get inventory and if I take the kids out. I would love to see baiting banned. I know the new crossbows, cell cams, and corns piles are all the rage with younger generations. Hell some states even ban cell cams. I’ve always said I think cams have made it a little less fun for me due to over analyzing deer and missing the state of surprise. Funny to think if hunting was harder for people what they might do in response. You guys think there might be more of a shift back to gun hunting rather than bow? Would there be more deer gun drives? Would managing to harvest a doe with a gun be glorified again? Just thoughts but I think I would like to see how things went with a bait ban.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I'm changing my approach for next year at my place.

I've changed my position about baiting or anything that will concentrate heavy numbers of wildlife in small confined space/area on a regular basis. I'm NOT completely sure what I'll end with by the end of next spring other than continuing to make further property natural habitat improvements. Much to learn from you good people.

[F.Y.I. - I care more for the deer more than me killing one within my area and I can see myself making these improvements over the course of the next few years as the deer herd rebound occurs from the 2022 EHD outbreak. This is something that I cared to do personally and I would NOT hold no judgment towards anyone else if they choose to continue the practice, as long as it remains legal. that's your prerogative. I wanted to make that clear.]

Deer food plots will go in at a couple of locations. One decent size and another not very big at all at first, but may get there in a couple of years in size.

I just wanted to share that tid-bit and the following article, which I'm a member of, along with 'Sportsmen’s Alliance' and a few others also.

Last edited: