Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Feed/Bait ban coming?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Really interesting thread.

I think I bring a little different perspective:

I can hardly control the browse on my farm with baiting being allowed. If you outlawed baiting, I cannot imagine the draw my acres of plots would have! I think I would suck in deer for a long ways - probably make for even better hunting.

I am ok with them banning it, if they don't - I am ok with that as well. Either way, I am going to adjust and keep working to kill mature bucks.

One area I will push back on is the notion that you just dump bait, and can easily shoot a booner. I would say this is likely true in areas baiting is illegal, but not in Ohio. We have an entire thread here with strategies on how to bait a mature buck.

Aexample - a good friend of mine owns a prime farm in IL. He used to not believe we could bait. However, he plants a half-acre food plot and would have 15-30 deer piled into it to feed. In Ohio, you just don't see that- unless there is bait. However, since everyone is baiting and many strategically baiting near a bucks bedding area or such, these deer are spread out and educated on what the yellow nuggets lead to -imo.

Lastly - a lot of guys (including myself) worry about neighbors but I think the best thing we can do is talk to neighbors and come up with goals that align for all parties involved. As long as everyone's hunting mature deer, who cares if they kill it or you do? Eventually, the cohort of killable mature bucks is going to give everyone an opportunity and as long as the doe harvest is adequate with browse availability, the deer quality will continue to increase.

just my .05 cents!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
improve their year round habitat by doing things like killing invasive species, planting trees and managing native grasses.

This is all part of my taking care of the deer around my place every year. There is far more to it that meets the eye, living in this creek valley. I also patrol the area regularly, looking for misdeeds, which is also part of the big equation of taking care of deer in my area.

Reactions: Fletch

LonewolfNopack

The woods
This is all part of my taking care of the deer around my place every year. There is far more to it that meets the eye, living in this creek valley. I also patrol the area regularly, looking for misdeeds, which is also part of the big equation of taking care of deer in my area.
Wasn't a knock on you. I know you invest a lot of time and effort in what you do, and I enjoy looking at your pictures. I was just generally speaking. Healthy deer begin with healthy habitat, which many parts of Ohio we do not have, and baiting is no substitute for that.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Wasn't a knock on you. I know you invest a lot of time and effort in what you do, and I enjoy looking at your pictures. I was just generally speaking. Healthy deer begin with healthy habitat, which many parts of Ohio we do not have, and baiting is no substitute for that.

Appreciate it, thank you!

What I have discovered after doing all of this now for nearly five years continuously, is that it really is a whole lot of work, meaning, hard labor. We have excellent habitat all throughout the surrounding area, thousand of acres of it too, that holds deer, nearly all of them for about 10 or 11 months out of the year. The off winter months, the deer seek heavy cover at the nearby big hills.
Every year, I have to clear timber, debris, deer trails, or whatever else that hinders or prevents deer to take up residence. I also grow trees every year as well that are heavy deer attractants for both food, cover and bedding. We maintain our small 3 acre alfalfa field every too that is strictly for the purpose of the deer every year. They feed, bed and socialize within it daily. That never happened before until I started to manage that field.

What I do today fulfills and satisfies my soul, always trying to manage and improve the overall health, genetics and herd size/ratio of all the deer within my area.

I honestly fell into this, and it was never a life goal or plan of mine. The wife and I decide to take over the family farm when her grandparents passed over 10 years ago and the place sat vacate for a few years, and it was vandalized, broken into and processions were stolen, plus no one else in the family cared to take it over or take it on.

The life I live today is much like when I grew up when I was just a little boy during the first six years of my life being raised on a large family dairy farm.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
One area I will push back on is the notion that you just dump bait, and can easily shoot a booner. I would say this is likely true in areas baiting is illegal, but not in Ohio. We have an entire thread here with strategies on how to bait a mature buck.

Yep. If killing good bucks over bait was as easy as dumping corn there wouldn't be a single deer over 90 inches left in the state due to all the piles.

The power of bait completely depends on what your neighbors are doing. If they do not bait or just dabble in it then your bait pile is like the holy grail. Once everyone in the neighborhood baits heavy those deer change and realize they don't have to compete for food, that is where they become harder to kill IMO. It doesn't take you long to figure out who relies on bait to kill their buck and who doesn't. The one's with a new big buck in their profile pic on FB year after year after year are likely master-baiters IMO. Sure there may be the exception.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and Fletch

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Really interesting thread.

I think I bring a little different perspective:

I can hardly control the browse on my farm with baiting being allowed. If you outlawed baiting, I cannot imagine the draw my acres of plots would have! I think I would suck in deer for a long ways - probably make for even better hunting.

I am ok with them banning it, if they don't - I am ok with that as well. Either way, I am going to adjust and keep working to kill mature bucks.

Aexample - a good friend of mine owns a prime farm in IL. He used to not believe we could bait. However, he plants a half-acre food plot and would have 15-30 deer piled into it to feed. In Ohio, you just don't see that- unless there is bait. However, since everyone is baiting and many strategically baiting near a bucks bedding area or such, these deer are spread out and educated on what the yellow nuggets lead to -imo.

Lastly - a lot of guys (including myself) worry about neighbors but I think the best thing we can do is talk to neighbors and come up with goals that align for all parties involved. As long as everyone's hunting mature deer, who cares if they kill it or you do? Eventually, the cohort of killable mature bucks is going to give everyone an opportunity and as long as the doe harvest is adequate with browse availability, the deer quality will continue to increase.

just my .05 cents!

Yep. If killing good bucks over bait was as easy as dumping corn there wouldn't be a single deer over 90 inches left in the state due to all the piles.
I am going to cautiously disagree with you guys. Had you said that 6-8 years ago, I would have cautiously agreed. But nowadays, as prevalent and as affordable as cellular cameras are, I think that viewpoint somewhat goes out the window. Yes, you do have to be careful and hunt a corn pile a certain way in order to consistently kill big mature deer over it. But, in my opinion, the advent of the cellular camera has made that approach exponentially easier and more effective than it’s ever been. There are so many “big buck slayers” out there these days whose entire hunting strategy is to pile corn at multiple properties, hang the cell cams to monitor what’s going on, and then sit back and wait for a giant to start daylighting. They literally don’t go in unless the bait runs dry or the buck shows up.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am going to cautiously disagree with you guys. Had you said that 6-8 years ago, I would have cautiously agreed. But nowadays, as prevalent and as affordable as cellular cameras are, I think that viewpoint somewhat goes out the window. Yes, you do have to be careful and hunt a corn pile a certain way in order to consistently kill big mature deer over it. But, in my opinion, the advent of the cellular camera has made that approach exponentially easier and more effective than it’s ever been. There are so many “big buck slayers” out there these days whose entire hunting strategy is to pile corn at multiple properties, hang the cell cams to monitor what’s going on, and then sit back and wait for a giant to start daylighting. They literally don’t go in unless the bait runs dry or the buck shows up.

although I agree with you - I think at the state level. The number of guys doing this, successfully, is still a very low % on a macro statistical level.

even with that strategy - it is still not that easy lol atleast for me lol!! I’ve tried it and I still suck! Hahaha

all joking aside it is still a major time commitment, strategy, and knowledge of access/wind to pull it off.

I do think you’re right but I think at a state level it’s a small % overall.

this is just my opinion and observations. I don’t have data to back this up.

Agreed!! 100%

That's why all the outfitters in the state are doing it. Most aren't using food plots, or if they are there's a feeder on the edge.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I'll second this opinion.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Creamer

Athens

I saw a guy's hunt recap this fall online who did basically this. The recap detailed the 20+ sits on bait from ground blinds until finally the deer slipped up and daylighted, and got shot. My reaction to this sort of thing...congratulations? I guess? That's what "bowhunting" is now to people? :confused:

Look, different people hunt in different ways. That's never going to change. It just seems so night/day different to approach deer hunting in such different ways, but we're still all lumped in under the same umbrella as "deer hunters" to the state of Ohio. Just because we are all trying to end up at the same finish line doesn't mean we're running the same race.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Jagermeister you hit the nail on the head... Combine corn and a cell camera and you got the perfect combo... Eliminates the need for alot of scouting and wasted time sitting in a tree watching a trail or scrape line when you don't know what's in the area.. Add the two together in several spots and then concentrate your time there where your chances are good..
And today with lifestyles what they are with raising a family your time is limited...

This year our wonderfull governor approved a bear hunt late... So in a last ditched effort to find bears I dumped a 100 lbs. of corn out in two spots on state forest that has been closed to bear hunting the last few years... Low and behold I got a very nice 8 point on the camera... Now I would never have thought to deer hunt there...But now I decided to give him another year and hunt him in 2023... I think that corn might have been his demise... Because I drove by there Thurs. of gun and a large group was driving that area... Basically our hunting season is over so last Sat. I dumped a 100 lbs. of corn for inventory purposes... So far this buck is missing... Did that corn keep him in the area to get driven out and shot??? Who knows??? Time will tell... But goes to show you, by putting out corn I found a deer that would have been off the radar screen...

Reactions: Big_Holla

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I saw a guy's hunt recap this fall online who did basically this. The recap detailed the 20+ sits on bait from ground blinds until finally the deer slipped up and daylighted, and got shot. My reaction to this sort of thing...congratulations? I guess? That's what "bowhunting" is now to people? :confused:

Look, different people hunt in different ways. That's never going to change. It just seems so night/day different to approach deer hunting in such different ways, but we're still all lumped in under the same umbrella as "deer hunters" to the state of Ohio. Just because we are all trying to end up at the same finish line doesn't mean we're running the same race.

that is wild but I also respect the honesty and saying it was over bait. 20+ sits is no joke either, especially after one deer!

this goes to show how difficult it can be. There is a big difference between getting a pic of a deer on corn and killing one. Imo.

btw. I’d support a baiting ban. My farm would be way way way better!

I just continue to stand by the fact that the vast majority of Ohio hunters dumping corn are not that successful in killing mature bucks over it.

Reactions: Bighoun52

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
It's possibly to find oneself to be physically challenged due to simply of the old age process of life, such as the typical natural deteriorating health issues/problems of getting old that might hinder ones ability to hunt the way he or she used to, years prior, perhaps utilizing those methods and tactics considered to be more traditional then what we generally see today.

I wonder if, or how such person goes about hunting deer differently when he or she is confronted with such health challenges and yet, when they were younger, healthier, stronger and probably, not as established just yet as a seasoned successful veteran hunter, what will they do and how will they handle it, give up hunting all together, IDK.

As an old man myself, my biggest challenge nowadays while bow archery deer hunting, which was never a problem 10 years ago, is my eyesight.
All you young bucks may possibly reevaluate your position as you get to my age, or not. but I assure you, as you age, your hunting style just might change, do it differently than what you're currently doing today.

If interested in hunting beyond the age of 50, you might want to get started today and maintain your best excellent health regiment if you wish to continue to chase those real big mature bucks utilizing those more traditional tactics and methods. If you are of the age of 30 years or older today, and wish to hunt at the age of 50 and beyond, you may want to get started right away on that healthier life style if you're slipping now. This would be my best advice for you. Good luck!

I whole heartedly wish nothing but excellent health and success to all 'TOO" members for the rest of your happy lives!

I hope that I made myself clear enough and I do believe what stated is relevant to this whole baiting/not baiting subject matter, and why hunters might possibly justify a different hunting tactic and/or method.

Look, as long as it is perfectly legal to do, then I personally do not care how one hunts or harvests a deer. I will support them, be happy for them and move on.

Our hunting community is not get any bigger these days, if you haven't noticed. A lot of baby boomers have hung it up, and I think it's time we hunters, and all the other like minded people within the sport, need to insure the future of wildlife conservation, and the American family tradition.

Just my $.02, and I'm now done here, thanks!

Carry-on...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fletch and Creamer

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny $.02 worth??? Hah, more like $.07 worth.... :ROFLMAO:. Who loves ya....

I hear ya on the age issue... But your still a young stud... Your only as old as you feel... And boy some days we do feel old and worn out... I wish I was 50 again, hell come Nov. I turn 73... Still got some gas in the tank and hope to still be chasing big bucks and bears another 10 years...

I see your point, if a bait piles gets the elderly or disabled guy out doing what he loves God Bless Him... Go for it...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Hell I'm gonna hump 150 lbs of corn into these deer tomorrow... As I said just for inventory purposes as hunting season is over... But I enjoy feeding them and getting pics...

Attachments

• b4ff9dad-d965-48fe-824e-1f61de08819d.png
    b4ff9dad-d965-48fe-824e-1f61de08819d.png
    1 MB · Views: 73
Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Denny $.02 worth??? Hah, more like $.07 worth.... :ROFLMAO:. Who loves ya....

I hear ya on the age issue... But your still a young stud... Your only as old as you feel... And boy some days we do feel old and worn out... I wish I was 50 again, hell come Nov. I turn 73... Still got some gas in the tank and hope to still be chasing big bucks and bears another 10 years...

I see your point, if a bait piles gets the elderly or disabled guy out doing what he loves God Bless Him... Go for it...

Trust me, Rich! You're my idol, no-shit too! I can only hope that I can still do what I do at your age. You're awesome 💪 mister! Keep it up!!

Reactions: Fletch

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My hunting started way back when baiting wasn't allowed and we didn't have trail cams let alone cell cams...we did and do just fine killing deer and it was just fun to go hunt and wonder what might show up each time out.Really miss those days, I have always said if baiting is ever banned their is going to be a whole generation of hunters that are going to be totally lost on what to do. All they know is going to a blind and sitting over a big pile. Pretty sad when you think about it.
On the one farm we keep a feeder in the middle of the farm but we don't hunt close to it. Will keep some out for the deer thru the winter but if it were banned it wouldn't bother us at all as we would just keep hunting like we always have through the years.
Would be interesting to see how the hunting would be without everyone on every piece of property baiting.
I doubt it ever happens though.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Never cared for deer until I moved to where we live today. Never done it before and I've been doing this for 4yrs straight now. My doing what I do today has made a night & day difference for this location for the better.

It would not hurt me it they banned baiting or feeding wildlife, in fact, it would save me thousands of dollars annually if they do, and I would comply with the law. If such law passes, then I would look into other legal alternatives I could do to help those more vulnerable deer survive the winters.

Today, taking care of the deer has become a passion now for me, and I do take it very seriously, much like a regular job that I do daily. If I did not do what I do today, the hunting in the area would not be nearly as pleasurable not only for me, but for all the others that hunt the area as well, which are many that benefit of my taking care of the deer around here also.

I'm an animal lover. Always have been and that will never change. I take care of deer, I do not make it a habit to hunt over food that I place out for all wildlife, however I will put someone else with not nearly the hunting experience, a novice hunter in setups that are near or over feed sites. I have a few documented examples where persons new to the big game hunting world were able to successfully harvest their first Whitetail Deer ever, and that would most likely never have happened successfully if were not for bait.

Personally, It does not matter to me if the state outlaws baiting, but if they do, then I believe the state will also loose a ton of revenue as well with that kind of law in the books.

View attachment 170781

8:30AM EDIT:

When my eldest son was ready to get his feet wet and learn how to hunt big game animals, I taught him how to go about it the same way I learned four decades ago in central upstate NY, which is the more traditional old-school hunting like methods and tactics.

He no longer hunts today regularly because I think it was too much work for him and he has other interests, he young still. I never pressured him into the sport either. He learned the same way I did when I was brought into the game. He still likes to hunt, and maybe that internal fire will eventually turn into that blazing inferno when he gets older, IDK, but I at least do know that he'll have the skill and knowledge on just 'how to' when it comes to hunting & fishing for food if his life were to completely depend on it. A thing that I did with him that I am certain when I go to kick the bucket myself one day, I believe I'll go peacefully and fulfilled, as a proud father.

Speaking of other interests 😂 my son's ears must have been ringing because no sooner I mentioned somethin about him, like within this thread, I received a text message from him regarding his latest accomplishment, which happens to be his first band's single debut. Thought I'd go ahead and share it with you all. Now you may understand where his current interests lay ☺️

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230113_160851_Messages.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230113_160851_Messages.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 965e5fdb-2644-40ae-b7fd-986420759695.jpg
    965e5fdb-2644-40ae-b7fd-986420759695.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 69
  • c05d7f91-977b-479b-8615-cb87a50f1efd.jpg
    c05d7f91-977b-479b-8615-cb87a50f1efd.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 93f8d7b8-e30d-4ef5-8e26-b93fb5b90170.jpg
    93f8d7b8-e30d-4ef5-8e26-b93fb5b90170.jpg