Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

finelyshedded's hunting log

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
.........and it is done!

No, just kidding as I'll be still adding more to my log as the season goes on. I still have a few doe tags to use and you can never have enough venison for the freezer. It is an awesome feeling though to get a target buck on the ground before deer gun. I will post my story on a separate thread over on the "Hunting Whitetails with archery gear" forum. I decided to name this buck, The "BP Split G2" buck. or Backpack Buck. I just can't decide right now. I just need some time to get this story together.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
His name is "Splits" and I finished my story and posted it. I measured his neck just behind his ears and it taped at 24.5". He had some gashes in his neck that did scab up. He'll gross out right at or near 160 and net in the low 150's. I got to get some work done around the house now and my wood pile is pathetic. I'll be taking a break from bowhunting awhile. Goodluck to all TOOzers!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just adding to my log today that my bro is up in his tree this am on Thanksgiving Day, giving it his all . He texted me at 10am that a shooter just came thru above him in the pines. I texted back to him suggesting him to rattle or grunt him in. We'll see what happens momentarily. Goodluck bro!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got back from gun hunting back home with my good friends and brother on Friday. In 4.5 days of hunting does and doing some light pushes to all of my friends at deer camp I personally had one of the worse deer gun seasons ever. I didn't even see my first deer which was a doe till Thursday afternoon. I did hear a few I jumped up on Wednesday but never saw them. I saw 5 does total with one small doe giving me a standing broadside shot on Fri. morning but chose not to shoot her because of the lack of sightings. As a group(10 to 12) we managed to get 5 does through Friday. My bro called me on Saturday late morning letting me know he shot a decent buck and is now tagged out. They estimated the buck was 3.5 years old and noticed it had been hit earlier in the week but not by anyone in our group. A neighboring landowner said his nephew hit one matching this bucks description and although it wasn't a fatal shot it appears that the wound sight had an infection starting around it. Here is a pic of my brothers deer.

Congrats bro! Now you can get back to work!lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
i got back from gun hunting back home with my good friends and brother on friday. In 4.5 days of hunting does and doing some light pushes to all of my friends at deer camp i personally had one of the worse deer gun seasons ever. I didn't even see my first deer which was a doe till thursday afternoon. I did hear a few i jumped up on wednesday but never saw them. I saw 5 does total with one small doe giving me a standing broadside shot on fri. Morning but chose not to shoot her because of the lack of sightings. As a group(10 to 12) we managed to get 5 does through friday. My bro called me on saturday late morning letting me know he shot a decent buck and is now tagged out. They estimated the buck was 3.5 years old and noticed it had been hit earlier in the week but not by anyone in our group. A neighboring landowner said his nephew hit one matching this bucks description and although it wasn't a fatal shot it appears that the wound sight had an infection starting around it. Here is a pic of my brothers deer.

congrats bro! Now you can get back to work!lol

hahahahaha

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I talked to him in more detail on my way in to WORK for the first time in 12 days and he said no way the buck he shot would have made it thru. It's lower jaw was badly damaged as well and likely would have died of not being able to eat well too. I'm just glad it didn't go to waste.

Dew Boyz

the one thing I can add to this Ric is it was one of the best weeks I have ever had deer hunting in along time....didn't see a shooter buck but still it was one fun week....Kyle nailing 2 does, 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon just added icing on the cake....thank you for taking us along with ya....and hopefully next season we can have even more memories to share....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You betcha Eric! I had a great time hitting the brush with ya and the time at deer camp was unbelievable! We've got a heck of a group of guys! Goodluck to you and Kyle this weekend. Keep me posted via phone texts during your hunting. I'll be living vicariously thru you two!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I haven't been in the woods hunting since Friday of the regular deer gun season. I do plan on getting back out for a few more days of bow season before it's all said and done. I will have to get another $24 tag first but might do some scouting first to see what the doe numbers are first before doing so. No sense buying a tag if I shouldn't kill another deer. I might just go hunting with the camera and video recorder from here on out TOO. As of today this is my updated hunting log totals:

Total Hours hunting: 61.75 hours
Total Bucks seen:22 bucks not counting 8 bb's
Total Does seen:38
Total Yotes seen:0
Total shots taken:2
Total turks seen:8
Total deer killed:1

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ric... Just read this... Very interesting and enjoyable read. Esp since you scored in the end...