Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First ODNR referral

Huckleberry Finn

The story was that I was trying to get some work done and the football team was pussy footing around with this bat in the dorm. I was coming back from a shower and commented that they should just kill it. "Well if you are such a redneck badass, why don't you do it?"

Fuggin snapped that bitch out of the air.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good work, Adam.

Food for thought.... If you need to get rid of bats or 'coons, or if they are acting "funny," most county health departments have a Rabies Monitoring program and will take them from you. Depending on the type of exposure, if any, they will send them to either the Ohio Department of Health or the Ohio Department of Ag for testing. It's pretty rare for raccoons to have rabies, especially in western Ohio, but bats are fairly common carriers of rabies. Be very careful with bats. If you get cut or bit by one, get a rabies vacc ASAP. If you wait for the symptoms to show up, too late... you're as good as dead.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nowhere near paying the bills like I want it too but it's growing :)

At least you have the right equipment for the job. You won't have to pull your towel off in front of the football team to snap it at the bats.:pickle:rotflmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ok, so I just got another phone call from a guy here in town.

Seems he set a live trap in hopes of catching a few possum and got a skunk instead. He wants me to come over and kill it and get it out of his trap lol. Why do people do things like this lol. The guy about fell over when I told him I couldn't get there until around 1 O'clock since I'm home with my 6yr old son and nobody to watch him. I sure as hell don't want to take him with me on a skunk call. His mother would kill me if he got sprayed or even knew that I took him along for that ride lol.

I guess the guy will wait and pay my fee or call another person that will more then likely charge him way more to do it and probably not get there any sooner lol.

Duckdowner

SE Ohio
if you don't mind me askin, if someone called you to there place to get rid of skunk,coon, bats, bees, moose, or whatever, what the average price to pay for such a job?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
if you don't mind me askin, if someone called you to there place to get rid of skunk,coon, bats, bees, moose, or whatever, what the average price to pay for such a job?

I don't have a set rate myself. I talk to the person and get as much info from them over the phone as I can and then go out and do an inspection for free. I take each job separately and the amount of work involved to come up with an estimate.

I can tell you the cheapest I have done a job. I got a call about a coon walking in circles just on the edge of town in a cemetery. I grabbed the catch pole and .22 and headed over there. I put the catch pole on the coon and moved it to a better location on the property and shot it. Charged them $20 since it wasn't much work and was 5 minutes from the house. My cost involved was about $3 in gas round trip and a .22 bullet.

I do know some guys that charge $20 for use of the live trap and $20 per adult animal removed. (coon,possum,skunk)