Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First ODNR referral

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I was sitting here reading up on my TOO buddies and got a Phone call from a guy here in town. Seems he is the caretaker at the cemetery and had a problem with a young coon. He called around to the sheriff who said the WO for the county was on vacation this week so they gave him the number for Richland county WO. He called them and they sent him to the district office where the lady said " Hey your in luck " There are 2 trappers there in town. I got the referral call :smiley_clap:.
The guy calls and says he is standing 20' from this coon that is walking in circles and wanted somebody to come and get it. I told him I would be right over to take care of it. First I'm thinking of things that could be causing this coon to wonder in circles. Usually the ones I see doing this either have distemper or have somehow gotten into the chemicals and pesticides. I stop off at a friends house who runs a dog kennel and ask if I can borrow the catch pole. I get to the cemetery and sure enough there is the guy standing about 15 yards from this small scruffy looking coon wondering in circles. I get out of the truck and the guy says " It's blind " I walk over with the catch pole and wrap the noose around and pull it tight expecting this coon to go nuts. Nothing, it just flips on it's back and holds on to the pole. I look down and this little feller seemed to have double eye infections and his eyes where matted shut with discharge.
The nice thing is that the cemetery is just outside city limits :smiley_clap:. I grab the .22 bolt action with CCI sub-sonics and lights out. The best and fastest money I have made in a long while lol.

I was excited and just had to share my days adventures lol.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Adam you should hit up the Delaware WO for referrals. Some of them are more "city" folks and more apt to call the DNR for removal. Just a thought.

Beentown

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Bat and pigeon I could handle but fugg the bee's.

Beentown

We have a local bee handler so I won't get those calls...Hopefully lmao. Bats I have delt with on more then one occasion growing up. Long handle fishing net and thick leather gloves work great lol. Pigeons, the only thing I have ever done with them is shot them with a .410 while flying out of the barns lol.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Adam, you're now a professional assassin, hitman, hired gun.
Gangsta.
Adam Soprano! :smiley_clap:

A good coon is a dead coon.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
RedCloud, You could come up my way and help me. I have 14 coon jobs, a hand full of groundhog traps out and doing a job in the Village for 3 coyotes right now AND IM RETIRED......

FYI, Go to the Crawford Co. Sheriffs office and talk to one of the dispatchers on your own. Let them know what you do and that you are lic by ODNR and leave your number with them. 99% of the time, people will call them and never think of calling ODNR. Kind of moves you to the front of the line.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
RedCloud, You could come up my way and help me. I have 14 coon jobs, a hand full of groundhog traps out and doing a job in the Village for 3 coyotes right now AND IM RETIRED......

FYI, Go to the Crawford Co. Sheriffs office and talk to one of the dispatchers on your own. Let them know what you do and that you are lic by ODNR and leave your number with them. 99% of the time, people will call them and never think of calling ODNR. Kind of moves you to the front of the line.

Anytime you want or need an extra set of hands let me know. Always up for some fun and learning. I only live about 15min. from your place.

I will go over and talk with the Sheriff Department. Ronnie is a good guy and have talked to and know most of the deputies over there from my time on the Vol. Fire Department. Should workout pretty well. Thanks for the tip.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
good deal man, glad you are finally getting some use out of that permit.

best bat kill. a pillow and a buck knife, whacked it out of the air with a pillow and stabbed it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Last bat I killed I was standing on a ladder, naked. Snapped it with a towel.

Huck, why do you do this to yourself? I envision you looking like a sororiety girl squealing like a pig and screaming while trying to kill that bat! rotflmao

Sorry man, I kept telling myself I need to take it easy on you, but I couldn't resist that one. haha