Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Yote Of The Year

badger

*Supporting Member*
I failed to get any new snares out today as yard work has been building up. After I was through with that it was time to get in the stand. Not making any promises for tomorrow but I will try to at least get some pics of the snares, supports, and anchors I'm using. I'm planning to get in a stand in the morning and then I'm headed to Akron for a doc visit.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J,
Do you know a Bob Moss? He works there.
I sell him firewood every year.

Know of and have talked.to him a few times.o er the years. He opened a restaurant sometime after he retired last I heard of him. I haven't seen him in a couple of years now.

Buckmaster

Portage
Know of and have talked.to him a few times.o er the years. He opened a restaurant sometime after he retired last I heard of him. I haven't seen him in a couple of years now.

10-4; He'll probably be knocking on my door shortly seeking firewood for the upcoming season.

Buckrun

Its time I started getting my trapping stuff down from the barn. I have a place to trap coon again this year. I will be using mostly snares. I have some snares I made up for coyote. All though I have never snared a coyote or fox. Last year was my first year to catch anything in a snare. That first catch was cool!

Steve

badger

*Supporting Member*
Glad to hear you still have the trapping bug!

If you get some snares hung for coon, make sure you gang set the good trails. Also, try to keep your loops on the small side. It will get you more neck catches.

Good luck this year Steve!

Buckrun

Thanks I think I had some walk through last year.

Do you have any luck catching coon in a set that is remade after you have caught a coon? I was told not to bother remaking the same set after a catch. Said coon wouldn't use the trail any more.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Thanks I think I had some walk through last year.

Do you have any luck catching coon in a set that is remade after you have caught a coon? I was told not to bother remaking the same set after a catch. Said coon wouldn't use the trail any more.

Rarely is the area suitable for a remake. I have run coon snares on a slider just to get them out of site. If you use a long enough cable you can remake those sets.

Most of the trails I set I can hang 4-6 snares and have coon in maybe half of them, then I'll move on.

Buckrun

I went buy the place I am planning to trap yesterday. The farmer plowed the corn under. Will the coon still use the trails and go out in the corn now? I am going to try to get permition to trap other corn fields around this place.

I hate to drive all the way down there for just a couple coon. Last year I only cought 6 coon there.

steve