Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fishing on and off days?

This is my first year ice fishing, but I've been hunting and fishing since my feet hit the ground. Granted there are days when the fishing is great and there are days when they're just not hitting like the usually do. Even on the slow days, I've always caught fish...sometimes it just takes longer to figure out what they like/want.

Yesterday I was on several farm ponds and couldn't catch a single fish. :smiley_depressive: I've never been shut out, while fishing.

Are there days of ice fishing that you're just not going to catch fish...no matter what you throw at them? :smiley_confused_vra
Reasons: Too cold? Lunar phases? Too dark...poor visibility (overcast days)?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Same thing happened here last weekend. We had 2 vexilars running and it took an hour to find some fish. 3 of us fished for 2 hours and only caught a couple fish. I think they just didn't want to bite that particular day due to barometric pressure or who knows what else???? Kind of discouraging when you put the bait in front of them and they swim up to it and then don't bite.

Gern186 said:
We had 2 vexilars running and it took an hour to find some fish. 3 of us fished for 2 hours and only caught a couple fish.
I got a fish finder on my list for next year's ice fishing. At least you found fish and new they were down there. It's still frustrating, but knowing they're there helps.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I got a fish finder on my list for next year's ice fishing. At least you found fish and new they were down there. It's still frustrating, but knowing they're there helps.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to actually locate fish in a 3/4 acre pond, knowing how many fish are in there. I bought a Marcum VX-1 and it should be delivered within a couple days. I can't wait to try it out!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Gern186,
How's that Marcum VX-1 working out for you? Have you had a chance to use it, yet?

Yes, I put it into action last Saturday! I didn't seem to have any trouble locating fish, but getting them to bite was another story. I did manage to catch a 21" walleye and about a half dozen small to medium bluegills on the first try though....... I spend about 4 hours on the ice Sunday afternoon, but really couldn't get them to bite very good, only caught a few bluegill.

As far as the Marcum VX-1 goes, man those things are SLICK! You can see the bottom depth quickly and you can also tell within seconds if their are any fish below a hole. You can see your little bait move up and down on the flasher and also see fish coming right up to your bait and ignoring it! Overall though, when the fish are biting it will no doubt dramatically increase your fish catch rate because you can keep your bait right on the fish without guessing where they are at. If you see a suspended fish you can just raise your bait up to it and most likely it is more active and willing to bite.

I can't wait to get back out on the ice with it again and get the fish biting. Most of the reports I read from last weekend were poor all over Ohio.