Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flooding back home.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
my god......thats horrible....I couldnt imagine

Joe, Did i hear right that all the people houses they flooded on purpose to save the big city have some kind of clause on their property that they gov't can flood their property if needed? its the people on the other side of the levee?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's getting deep fellas!!!

Attachments

• Stubbs%20Island%20Flood%20of%202011%20039.jpg
    Stubbs%20Island%20Flood%20of%202011%20039.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 134

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
my god......thats horrible....I couldnt imagine

Joe, Did i hear right that all the people houses they flooded on purpose to save the big city have some kind of clause on their property that they gov't can flood their property if needed? its the people on the other side of the levee?

That's correct.. A couple hundred thousand acres worth and thousands of home. In an effort to save Baton Rouge and Nawleans. But the government has been doing that since the "flood control" system was put in place. TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) flooded peoples lands to put in locks and damns. They just blew a levee in Missouri flooding hundreds of thousands of acres. Even by my house at buck creek State park with CJ Brown reservoir. 50 years ago the corps flooded over 20,000 acres of peoples land and homes in the name of "flood control". Yeah, they basically opened the levee gates to let the water flood through to another river system and on to the gulf..

The funny thing about that is this.. The justification for flood control is so people don't get flooded right. People who built their home in a flood zone.. like nawleans where they drained a swamp to build the city and they live in a bowl because it's sinking. But by doing so they create dry areas for people to build with the false belief that the "floods" are under "control". When in reality they are anything but.. The reality is the whole thing is done to simplify river commerce. Barges, ships, tugs etc.. Has nothing to do with flooding, but everything to do with trying to make a might river a commercial highway.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I know they havent had to do that in a long time, so these people must have had some false sense of security. Its rediculous, because you know they will all have to claim that on thier flood insurance and the gov't isnt helping them out. Unless they declare it a natural disaster zone.....

Hey, keep on raining!! We need more water....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I know they havent had to do that in a long time, so these people must have had some false sense of security. Its rediculous, because you know they will all have to claim that on thier flood insurance and the gov't isnt helping them out. Unless they declare it a natural disaster zone.....

Hey, keep on raining!! We need more water....

They are sent letters every year in the mail by the corps of engineers telling them they technically live in the floodplain for the levee. And if need be it could be opened flooding their home. But fact is. Many of these families were there long before the levee.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

SHE CRESTED IN VICKSBURG!!! :smiley_clap::pickle:

It'll probably hold a day or two then start to fall.. It's going to take a month or so for it to recede..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's correct.. A couple hundred thousand acres worth and thousands of home. In an effort to save Baton Rouge and Nawleans. But the government has been doing that since the "flood control" system was put in place. TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) flooded peoples lands to put in locks and damns. They just blew a levee in Missouri flooding hundreds of thousands of acres. Even by my house at buck creek State park with CJ Brown reservoir. 50 years ago the corps flooded over 20,000 acres of peoples land and homes in the name of "flood control". Yeah, they basically opened the levee gates to let the water flood through to another river system and on to the gulf..

The funny thing about that is this.. The justification for flood control is so people don't get flooded right. People who built their home in a flood zone.. like nawleans where they drained a swamp to build the city and they live in a bowl because it's sinking. But by doing so they create dry areas for people to build with the false belief that the "floods" are under "control". When in reality they are anything but.. The reality is the whole thing is done to simplify river commerce. Barges, ships, tugs etc.. Has nothing to do with flooding, but everything to do with trying to make a might river a commercial highway.

Told ya so...

When the water began to climb, the shipping industry was one of the biggest proponents of opening spillways to divert excess water from the Mississippi.