Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flu or Food Poisoning?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Alright guys, never had food poisoning before, so figured I would throw this out here, to at least pass some time and get some insight.

Woke up this morning, stomach cramps and feeling a little under the weather. Wasn't too bad so I grabbed my morning protein/breakfast shake and hit the road.

I get to work and it turns into full blown nausea/flu like symptoms. For the first hour I was running to the restroom every 15 minutes, not good.

Still not feeling good. I've never really heard of getting the flu in the summer. I rarely get sick, when I do it usually doesn't last long. This just doesn't seem like a regular flu to me.

The wife and I ate some Mexican food last night, which was good, nothing tasted funny or anything like that. That was early afternoon and I was fine until this morning 12+ hours after I ate. Does food poisoning usually come on right away?

Just hoping this doesn't last long because I'm leaving Wednesday morning for a week long Tennessee vacation for my cousins wedding. Trying to tie up loose ends at work, but not sure if I can tough it out all day or not. Coworkers are begging me to leave, as no one wants this crap!!

So any of you experienced food poisoning recipients have any insight?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I think it will hit you within 24 hrs....sound like thats what you have. especially since you said you had mexican food. Those are usually the worst places according to my wife the health inspector..

I got food poisoning in Vegas a couple years back. Due to a bad buffet, I think we narrowed it down to the prime rib. Mine lasted about 12 hours, basically until you can get everything out of your body. Some people go to the hospital to have their stomach's pumped, I was in Vegas and thought it was the flu but due to the way it hit me I was told it wasn't. I was fine one minute eating breakfast and 5 minutes later I was doubled over the toilet not knowing what end it was gonna come out. Good luck with that it sucks

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Where exactly is the pain? A few years back I had Long John Silvers. A few hours later I was in severe pain and throwing up. It became unbearable so I went to the ER. Found out it was my appendix about to go.
The pain started in the dead center of my stomach then gradually moved to my lower right.
I swore I had food poisoning. It ended up being the greasy food that finally triggered my appendix to take a shit.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Where exactly is the pain? A few years back I had Long John Silvers. A few hours later I was in severe pain and throwing up. It became unbearable so I went to the ER. Found out it was my appendix about to go.
The pain started in the dead center of my stomach then gradually moved to my lower right.
I swore I had food poisoning. It ended up being the greasy food that finally triggered my appendix to take a shit.

Luckily I can rule that one out, got it taken out a few years back. I was working at a factory during that summer and thought I had pulled something in my stomach, not fun!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I got food poisoning in Vegas a couple years back. Due to a bad buffet, I think we narrowed it down to the prime rib. Mine lasted about 12 hours, basically until you can get everything out of your body. Some people go to the hospital to have their stomach's pumped, I was in Vegas and thought it was the flu but due to the way it hit me I was told it wasn't. I was fine one minute eating breakfast and 5 minutes later I was doubled over the toilet not knowing what end it was gonna come out. Good luck with that it sucks

I really hope mine doesn't last 12 hours, heading home shortly to shower and lay down, not sure how I can have much left in me...

You aren't pregnant are you? I only ask cuz that's how my wife got before we found out. Otherwise, I'd say it's food poisoning

LOL, I hope not!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Alright guys, never had food poisoning before, so figured I would throw this out here, to at least pass some time and get some insight.

Woke up this morning, stomach cramps and feeling a little under the weather. Wasn't too bad so I grabbed my morning protein/breakfast shake and hit the road.

I get to work and it turns into full blown nausea/flu like symptoms. For the first hour I was running to the restroom every 15 minutes, not good.

Still not feeling good. I've never really heard of getting the flu in the summer. I rarely get sick, when I do it usually doesn't last long. This just doesn't seem like a regular flu to me.

The wife and I ate some Mexican food last night, which was good, nothing tasted funny or anything like that. That was early afternoon and I was fine until this morning 12+ hours after I ate. Does food poisoning usually come on right away?

Just hoping this doesn't last long because I'm leaving Wednesday morning for a week long Tennessee vacation for my cousins wedding. Trying to tie up loose ends at work, but not sure if I can tough it out all day or not. Coworkers are begging me to leave, as no one wants this crap!!

So any of you experienced food poisoning recipients have any insight?

Did your wife get sick as well ? Most times food poisoning will get everybody that ate the same food. Another thing with food poisining...it usually hits you within hours of eating it say 4-6 hours. Did you eat at a restaurant or in your kitchen ? The reason I ask is because you can call the restaurant or local Health Dept. and ask if any other people have called and reported illness from eating there that day.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Take it from someone who's had food poisoning so many times it only gives me the squirts now..

Usually symptoms will happen anywhere from 6-12 hours after you eat.

Nausea and Cramps are usually the first symptoms followed by diarrhea, puking.. While the symptoms may take 12 hours to appear they will progress rapidly after that.

Everything you smell will make you want to puke, every food you see or even think about will make you puke.

The most important thing is to keep pushing fluids. Water, gatoraid, and sprite or 7-up.

You'll usually fee better in 12-24 hours after the onset of the symptoms, however the squirts may persist for a week or so..

If your skin or eyes start to turn yellow get to the doctor. Your liver isn't keeping up with filtering the toxins.

If you start to urinate very very dark urine so yellow it's almost orange, get to the doctor. Your kidneys aren't able to keep up with the slacking liver.

Push fluids, Wear layers of sweats and stay under the covers. Hopefully it will break in a bit.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would just fess up and tell your boss the truth. "I don't want to work this week. I think I am pregnant."rotflmaorotflmaorotflmao

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Feeling much better as of today, which is great because we are leaving tomorrow for Tennessee. Felt like I got beat with a ball bat when I got up this morning, but starting to come around.

Still pounding the fluids and finally feel like eating something!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Feeling much better as of today, which is great because we are leaving tomorrow for Tennessee. Felt like I got beat with a ball bat when I got up this morning, but starting to come around.

Still pounding the fluids and finally feel like eating something!

Told ya.. :) 12-24 hours after onset of symptoms you'd feel better if it was food poisoning.