Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fluteman's Hunting Diaries

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Got skunked this morning like I figured I would. Just not a good morning spot. Got brave (maybe TOO brave) and made a move to the timbered side if the field in a tree I picked out earlier this hear. He walked out the logging road that will be to my east last night. Here's to hoping he isn't a nomad and stuck it out with those does last night.

East

Northeast

North

Northwest, the scrape he made is 30y away.

West

Southwest

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, it worked out just like I planned, only the bucks weren't around tonight. Watched two does come out across the field and feed to 40y at 6:15, then had one big cautious doe come out of the thick stuff behind me and feed out in front of me. I waited until well after dark hoping they would leave, but ended up having to howl like a coyote to run them off.

Headed to the pond stand in the morning, then back to the stand I sat tonight for the evening. Probably stay out pretty late on my morning hunt unless things are slow.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been hearing of some awesome big buck movement during the middle of the day already. So keep that in mind. If you have a spot for an all dayer I'd park it soon. Lol

Good luck Greg, if you haven't been hitting the grunt tube much, I'd be making music with it if I were you. Lol pretend its a FLUTE. Rotflmao

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've been hearing of some awesome big buck movement during the middle of the day already. So keep that in mind. If you have a spot for an all dayer I'd park it soon. Lol

Good luck Greg, if you haven't been hitting the grunt tube much, I'd be making music with it if I were you. Lol pretend its a FLUTE. Rotflmao

I was quiet tonight and didn't see a buck. Last night I rattled every half hour and did some grunting 15minutes after rattling. Your story inspired me. Might do an all day sit Sunday or Monday down where I believe Stickers is.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a plan! Just have bow in hand and your release ready as soon as you hang the horns up, it can happen fast. Try grunting and snort wheezing first for an hour or two. Then try rattling but just light stuff for awhile. Get nasty with the horns mid day when things seem dead but short and sweet.(15 seconds tops) once every 30 minutes. I'd leave the horns on the hook after that, fuggars always try to get downwind so your best chance for a shot is grunting. I typically rattle just to get a shooter that's 100-300 yards away to head my direction and grunt once they get within sight. That's how Ron and I've done it mostly. Goodluck Greg!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Thanks for the tips Ric! I'm gonna sit at the Pond Stand until around two or so, depending on how things go, come home and grab a bite, and try to be in the other stand by 3.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Time to catch this thing up! I've been hunting hard since Saturday, and just haven't taken the time to update it, as all I have done is eat and hunt, and when I wasn't doing either of those, I was sleeping!

11/3/2012, M, Pond Stand

Sat until 1:30, and saw one lone buck cruise through at 9:30. It appeared to be a good ten point, every bit of 130", but he was over 100y off and couldn't get his attention.

11/3/2012, E, Timbered Field Edge

Same spot I sat Friday evening. Had the same two fawns come out and feed at 6, followed by the same big doe. Right a dark, a up and coming eight came out, and limped down the field edge, bedding 20y from my stand. I was stuck in the stand for a while waiting for him to get up and leave

11/4/2012, M Pond Stand, E Timbered Field Edge

Skunked on both sits. Really odd. Did get to lay my hands on a dandy buck that my buddy Jesse killed. You all might know him. :smiley_crocodile:

11/5/2012, M, Oak Flat

Got skunked again, but had to get out of the stand early, as I had some stuff to do.

11/5/2012, E, Timbered Field Edge.

Had the gimpy buck come out and feed in the field from 4-4:30, then circle around me, and bed down 100y to my SW. At 4:45, a four point comes from my N and works the field edge, making a few scrapes, and tearing up a bush. He then heads into the brush behind me and riles up a doe. They both head right towards the gimpy buck, and he gets up on his feet. Both bucks acted interested in the doe, but didn't really go all out chasing her. I watched them for 20 minutes, and then all three disappeared out of sight. Right around 5:30, the same two fawns come out, and feed around a bit, then disappear into the oak flat

11/6/2012, M, Oak Flat

Got into the stand around 6:15, there was a real heavy frost and it was cold as hell. At 7, I catch movement out of the corner of my eye, to see a good buck coming across the field. He's at 60y, and coming right at me. I get stood up, and grab my bow. By this time he is at the field edge. He spent several minutes at 45y working two different scrapes. About that time, a spike appeared across the field headed right for him. I was ready to go and was sure I was positive I was going to shoot this deer. About that time, he came into the wood line, and was working from S to NE. He came through at 35y, but never presented me with a shot. The woods are very open, but I just didn't have a good window cleared for that yardage where he passed through. I had one small opening I could have shot, but chose not to as I thought he might try to circle around. Watched him and the spike disappear over the hill to the NE.

This was the buck that passed through this morning.

At 9:30, I climbed down, as I had to get home and get some stuff done before heading off to work. I got to the field edge and noticed a deer feeding in the field. Got the binos out and saw it was a forkhorn. Watched him for 15 minutes or so until he disappeared out of sight, then I headed for the house. As I was walking down the drive, I catch movement to the right. The same buck I saw earlier was now feeding in the last little patch of beans left standing (they cut them last night). He headed up over the hill and disappeared across the field. I decided to deploy the two Spypoints I had laying on my work bench, so I went out and hung them both. By this time, it was 10:30. On my way out to the field, I saw a small buck feeding in the cut beans, and on my way back, I saw a second. They are preparing themselves for what has to be coming in the next few days!

I had to be back at work this evening, so I didn't get to hunt. Instead, I chose to sit on the edge of the cut beans and watch with my binos. I guess I should have taken the camera with me. At 5, I look to my right and 200y down the field edge working a scrape is the same eight I had seen twice earlier today. He worked the scrape over real good, then went to browsing along the edge of the field. I watched him until 5:20, when I slipped out and headed for work. He's still coming out of the same holler he was staying in all summer, and I haven't been in there this fall. I'm hoping that will pay off for me and I can connect this weekend. I plan on spending the next two nights watching the same field to see if that was just coincidence, or if he is a nightly visitor. I was pretty bummed to be headed back to work tonight, with the way things were shaping up, but like I told Jesse, these three nights off may be a blessing in disguise!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's a dang nice 8 Greg! Sounds like its starting to really amp up around your hunting spot! Fuggin work always finds away to intervene!!! Hopefully he sticks around till the weekend but I TOO got a feeling the Fluteman is gonna bring it home this year! Goodluck buddy, can't wait to we get the call!