Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

? For the scope Gurus

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have a black Mueller 4.5 -14X APV on my .17HMR. Scope has AO and has performed flawlessly for me for 5 or 6 years that I've owned it. Plenty of magnification and the AO takes care of the parallax issue. Check them out you may like them. This APV is for rimfire use only though.

Thanks Dick, I’ll give it a look see....

Jamie

Ohio
nice scope. I bought the exact same one, but I sent it back. the reticle looked much finer in the picture. not quite fine enough for shooting squirrels in the eye, though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
nice scope. I bought the exact same one, but I sent it back. the reticle looked much finer in the picture. not quite fine enough for shooting squirrels in the eye, though.

Damn, that’s what I was wondering about em... Jamie, what’d you end up going with?

Jamie

Ohio
I'm not a scope guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I know what works for me with what I am trying to do with my scopes, and the only rimfire rifle scopes that I've found meeting my needs in terms of magnification, parallax adjustment, clarity and overall quality, AND with an available fine duplex reticle are the Nikons and Leupold. I had a Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 AO, which is a damn good scope for squirrel hunting. I replaced it with the VX-2 6-18x40 AO, and I'm very happy with it as well. I also have a Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9x40 AO on another gun, and it is an excellent scope for the price. Both Leupold and Nikon have full lifetime warranties, too, btw. a precision reticle is not available on very many scopes, but it is a relevant consideration when you are shooting at small targets. I'd love to use a red dot for squirrels, but the smallest dot available is as big a squirrels head at 30 yards (I tried it with an Ultra-Dot on my MKIII).

I wish luepold still made their vx2 efr 3x9-33 ao. Im pretty much settled on the weaver rv9 ao. I have a weaver v3 on my 45/70 that has taken a lot of abuse. I do not care for the plastic caps on the nikon efr and it is a heavy scope compaired to the weaver and Leopold.

Last edited: