Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fort Spence

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Shit, Im not going anywhere..... With those two new spots and your Daughters house on the lower side I feel like I'm livin in Beverly Hills......

Why go to Colorado when your building a dream home???? Kid is ate up....

Reactions: giles

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I took a few pics on my travels around the property today.
1) Fall brassica plot. 2) someone doesn’t want a pear tree. I found the fence 10 yards away. 3) good rub in the new plot.
19966457-018A-46CD-92C9-9017A10C3E9C.jpeg
CEA7F53D-694E-427C-A8E1-A9FB13959C8A.jpeg
DCE8DEFC-351A-482A-8F88-BF7DBB233591.jpeg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The latest project at Fort Spence. Still need to do some ground work and steps off the lower deck. WeTalked about screening it in but I think I’m against that now.... not that my opinion matters. Not sure what, if anything, we will do underneath. View attachment 113520
Unless you’re planning on shooting off the top deck, I’d screen it in. Put a water proof vinyl flooring down and trim it out. It’ll cut down on the critters getting into the house and allow you too enjoy the evenings throughout the summer. We have both a screened in and a open deck off of it.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Unless you’re planning on shooting off the top deck, I’d screen it in. Put a water proof vinyl flooring down and trim it out. It’ll cut down on the critters getting into the house and allow you too enjoy the evenings throughout the summer. We have both a screened in and a open deck off of it.
We used Trex decking. I won’t have to do anything to take care of it but it has gaps between each one. That’s why I say no to screen. We also used Trex railing. Looks beautiful but holy crap it’s pricey.

Reactions: giles and Dustinb80

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We used Trex decking. I won’t have to do anything to take care of it but it has gaps between each one. That’s why I say no to screen. We also used Trex railing. Looks beautiful but holy crap it’s pricey.
Our screened in deck is treated and our open is trex. The vinyl flooring covers the gaps and the bugs from last year too this year are pretty much nonexistent.
But I get it, I wouldn’t want too cover up trex either.

Reactions: Spencie

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I might be a worse fruit farmer than I am deer hunter. I planted $600 worth of apple and pear trees last year. One died, a rabbit ate the bark off one and a buck tore down the fence around two $80 pear trees and ripped the trees in half within the last 2 weeks.
I had ordered another $500 worth of trees in October and they showed up Friday. Tyler planted them Sunday and I fenced what I could today. Chicken wire sucks by yourself!!!! I have $150 in fence and probably need another $100. I’m sure they will never produce fruit but I had to try.
Anyone have some good tips?
D3C45D18-6BAD-4634-9B18-822326468152.jpeg
A31010E7-5D92-477F-80B5-600CBB309F6A.jpeg
2566DC50-225C-434F-AFB4-0A225B873435.jpeg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Good luck with that! With as many deer that you have, I would imagine it will be a constant battle trying to keep them off of those trees. I used to hunt a fruit farm that the farmer was just furious with all the deer cause it cost him every year he tried to grow them trees. He too finally gave up in plantng the mass amounts for a while in the fields, did manage to get some growing much closer to his home, but that was about it at the time. He's still trying tho. I talked to him about it last year, said that he doesn't have the same amount of deer that he used to. He did acquire nuisance tags through ODNR about 10 years ago with good success in reducing the local deer population. Maybe too much, but IDK that to be the case. He still allows me to hunt his place, but I haven't hunted it in over 10 years now.

Anyways, good luck!

Reactions: Spencie