Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frozen Solid Downspouts

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I was wondering if anybody has found a way to keep your downspouts from freezing solid ?

I have a patio with with an awning covering the span of the concrete pad and the stupid downspout has frozen solid and starting to bust the seam. I have an electric heat gun but it seems to take for ever to heat up the bottom of the downspout and I would think a propane torch would leave a black mark from the burning fuel or discolor it from the high heat.

Just curious to see what others have done to solve the issue.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well Shit RC ya didn't say free....just get the cable and lay it in your down spout....

Buckmaster

Portage
I have the same problem. I bought snow rake and an 80 pound bag of salt. It's working a little bit as the problem is getting better.
My insurance company is coming out Monday to verify my claims.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Let it bust and replace the downspout before spring.. Then clean the debris out in the fall so it doesn't collect water. ;)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Let it bust and replace the downspout before spring.. Then clean the debris out in the fall so it doesn't collect water. ;)

All the debris was clear. The problem was all that ice we had the other day (2" thick ). It wasn't falling as liquid but rather little ice pellets. They landed in the gutters and openings of the downspouts and coated it all in ice. We had a little bit of sun yesterday that was enough to melt the snow/ice on the roof and finished clogging the downspout when the sun went down. Now my downspout is solid as can be lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Going to go try an idea lmao.

Going to take some full strength antifreeze and put a catch pan at the bottom of the downspout and pour in the antifreeze at the top of the downspout :D.

Let ya know how it works out lmao.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That happened TOO me once and I used a heated electrical cord. I ran it down thru the downspout that was freezing up before the icey weather and just plugged it in prior to the ice build up prob. If you already have a clogged downspout just wrap the cord around the outside of it till it thaws THEN run it down thru. It worked for me but as a precaution I kept the electrical conection out of the way of the weather and any run off. It worked great for me!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Going to go try an idea lmao.

Going to take some full strength antifreeze and put a catch pan at the bottom of the downspout and pour in the antifreeze at the top of the downspout :D.

Let ya know how it works out lmao.

All Antifreeze is 50/50 now.. Pisses me off... At some point they realised they can "Pre-mix" it, use half the product, and charge the same price.. FUGGERS..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That happened TOO me once and I used a heated electrical cord. I ran it down thru the downspout that was freezing up before the icey weather and just plugged it in prior to the ice build up prob. If you already have a clogged downspout just wrap the cord around the outside of it till it thaws THEN run it down thru. It worked for me but as a precaution I kept the electrical conection out of the way of the weather and any run off. It worked great for me!

Heat tape. Theres an idea :smiley_clap:.

Found this after you mentioned it.

http://www.onlinetips.org/heat-tape-gutters

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
All Antifreeze is 50/50 now.. Pisses me off... At some point they realised they can "Pre-mix" it, use half the product, and charge the same price.. FUGGERS..

I still have a jug of PEAK from about 6-7 years ago in the shed :D.

BTW, It does open the downspout up a bit lol. Probably not going to stay open but it is draining for now lmao.