Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fury’s garage/man cave project

Isaacorps

Columbus
Huh...I wonder why we don’t use it? Is it just for services? I’ve been doing underground since thanksgiving and we have never used the stuff. From the pole to transformer to transformer we just shove the dirt back on it.
Probably because that’s high voltage/utility stuff that doesn’t get inspected so it’s not required. Any contractor or customer installed underground is required to have caution tape

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles

Isaacorps

Columbus
The National Electrical Code (NEC) in Section 300.5(C)(3) requires that underground service conductors (direct burial) that are not encased in concrete and that are buried 18 in. or more below grade must have their location identified by a warning ribbon (there is no color requirement) that is placed in the trench at least 12 in. above the underground installation. Note thapplies only to service conductors and not to feeders or branch circuits, which are protected by short-circuit and overload protection. So, technically it’s not required since it’s ran in conduit and is a branch circuit from the house. I’ve had plenty of inspectors require it, nonetheless. Gotta pick your battles lol

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
51B1551A-4815-4DE8-A9FA-6DBC6CE0540C.jpeg
43E67242-3A85-4DB0-A14B-6EC64A05A5F5.jpeg

Got the asphalt put down Thursday and they came back today to do the seal coat.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
View attachment 102304View attachment 102305View attachment 102306View attachment 102307View attachment 102308View attachment 102309View attachment 102310View attachment 102311
Got the electric run from the house to a 100 amp breaker in the utility room...they also ran cable tv and a spare conduit. I Painted the doors...the outside doors still need another coat. Taped the shelves for painting and got the workbench framed out. Need to get 3/4” plywood for the top and finish painting. Also need to fill in the trench. After the bldg and electric inspector come, then I’ll get started on the bar area. Getting the electric, water and gas run to the garage was a task that I’m glad is behind me. Now the fun work starts.

I'm really surprised they're aloud to bury gasline and electric in the same trench.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I'm really surprised they're aloud to bury gasline and electric in the same trench.
What gas line? Wink wink😊 The gas line got some dirt thrown on it (it’s 36”deep) then the electric (in conduit) laid on top of that. The inspector will only see the electric conduit. I wasn’t even going to get the electric permit as I’ve already paid $1500 to the township for inspections and another $864 for the building permit, the electric permit is another $115....not to mention my taxes are around $10,000 per year and will likely go up more because of this building. On average, out property taxes rise about $250 every year. This township taxes the hell out of you.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Dayumdats a lot of property taxes. Ours isn’t cheap but not like yours George. I’ve read on a Texas forum that some areas there go up2-300%. I’d fine another place to live.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Dayumdats a lot of property taxes. Ours isn’t cheap but not like yours George. I’ve read on a Texas forum that some areas there go up2-300%. I’d fine another place to live.
I’d have no problem moving to a small town like Mayberry USA...maybe Iowa or South Dakota, but the wife won’t move. Too many friends and family. That’s one reason why she let me take out money from our home equity loan to buy property in Ohio...it’s my happy place.😊