Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

gas or diesel

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pros of diesel- Longer life. Generally better for towing. Generally better mileage.

Cons- You need to put an additive in your tank when filling up because the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel does not provide the lubricity needed for your injector pumps. Diesel is around $3.50/gallon which pretty much negates the fuel mileage gain. They are more expensive up front and more expensive to repair. On the flipside of this, they also retain their value whenever you sell them.

There is a starting point. I would say if you don't drive 20-30,000 miles a year and pull a trailer a bunch I can't see why you would need one.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Pros of diesel- Longer life. Generally better for towing. Generally better mileage.

Cons- You need to put an additive in your tank when filling up because the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel does not provide the lubricity needed for your injector pumps. Diesel is around $3.50/gallon which pretty much negates the fuel mileage gain. They are more expensive up front and more expensive to repair. On the flipside of this, they also retain their value whenever you sell them.

There is a starting point. I would say if you don't drive 20-30,000 miles a year and pull a trailer a bunch I can't see why you would need one.

Is that something you have to do with the new ones??? I have an 09 duramax and don't put no additives in it...

between bait runs, and paylake trips all over ohio and pa and west virginia , ill be putting close to 1000 miles a week on it , wont be pulling much , but will be putting some weight in the back with bait tanks

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is that something you have to do with the new ones??? I have an 09 duramax and don't put no additives in it...

Ever since they changed over to the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel it has been highly recommended. What it does is burns up the injector pumps prematurely. I did the one on my dually at maybe 160-180k miles. It was $2300 at the time. I am sure they aren't any cheaper. The Powerstrokes aren't as expensive from what I hear. Not sure about the Duramax. Good preventative maintenance either way. $7.50 for the bottle that gets you 250gal treated if I remember right.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Yep. I have only broken into the low 20's in MPG a few times in the last 6-8 diesels I have owned. Mostly mid teens 13-15 around town and upper teens 16-19 on the highway. I haven't put enough miles on the newest one yet to know. Most of the miles were plowing miles other than a trip to Gern's.

rrr

I love powerstrokes but if I was filling one up somewhere other than the company pump or wasn't driving across the state, I don't see a legit reason for one.

That said....they are cool and sound good...

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I reset the tire size on my tuner, and according to my trucks computer I'm now getting 20-21 highway and 19 city/backroads. 04 Dodge Cummins 3500 Crew Cab Longbed. This spring I'm going to set my tuner to program my truck to half power and see what I can get just cruising. Ive heard of guys running tuners and getting 26 mpg on the highway.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Gas!

Why spend the extra money for the diesel and the gas that goes in it? If you buy a new gas truck now you'll have it just as long as a diesel. The engine on a diesel may last forever, but what about the rest of the truck? Are you going to be towing a house, Yacht, or mountain? I've got a buddy who bought this bad ass Dodge diesel 4x4 off road assault veridical about the same time I bought my gas FX4 F150. I spend about 1/3 the amount on fuel, cost less, and my truck will last as long as his.

Unless you REALLY need it save the money and buy a gas truck. You can use it on strippers and lap dances.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
TripleA88- I am guessing you have dual stacks too? Not everyone needs a penis extension brother!:pickle:rotflmao

rotflmao. No dual stacks. Just a 4 inch straight pipe. I hate the kids that have duals and smoke my ass out every chance they get, spit in their spit cup, then mean mug me with their white guido sunglasses on. That's a common protocol around here if your run a stack. Not sure why.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like trucks in general most people who have diesels don't need them either but think it's cool too have one..... How many people do you know have a truck and maybe get a load of mulch once a year or haul a piece of wood a couple times a year..... Same as diesels a lot of kids have them up here and haven't seen them tow a single thing around..... Don't haul anything but ass and all have 4+" exhaust and you can hear them coming from across town.... Yeah try to sneak around doing something with that lol..... Stick with a gas motor and save the money like the rest said..... You'll be happier in the long run....