Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gordo's 2013-2014 Hunting Journal

joejoe8

I have really enjoyed reading your journal this year. I spend a good bit of Nov. in your area, its always good to read things going on in the area I hunt. Not many people get to hunt a buck of that size, I was rooting for you until the end. Now go an find those SHEDS!

Gordo

Athens County
Need this snow to melt so i can do more lookin for his sheds.

Its prob a good thing. There's 16 bucks yarded up on the one property. At last chwck, about half where still carrying.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The frustrating aspect of making the decision when to enter a known bedding area for me is, they all don't drop their horns at the same time nor does a single buck drop both sides at the same time thus the early drops get the snot chewed out of them while we're waiting for the rest of the sheds to drop. If you try to slip in and pick the early drops up you risk busting up the bachelor group and/or bumping them to another prop you don't have permission.

........oh what a stressful life us shed hunters lead! Hahaha

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Need this snow to melt so i can do more lookin for his sheds.

Its prob a good thing. There's 16 bucks yarded up on the one property. At last chwck, about half where still carrying.

This snow we have up here has a thick coat of ice on it. If a buck has shed after the snow hit I think it will just lay on top and I will be looking on Saturday! I don't think I will be entering any bedding though:(

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391787638400.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391787638400.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 285

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I.can't.believe you guys Derby shed that early. Id say 95% of my deer have.both sides still

FWIW Ron and I don't walk the bedding areas till mid to late March because of that. It's tough to do because some good sheds get chewed up but you look at the over all picture.

Till then we check fields occasionally...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great journal this year Gordo. Looking forward to it next season. Think of it this way: If it was so easy you tagged a whopper every year, you probably wouldn't get as excited over it. Knowing you can be so close, so many times, yet end a season with that buck tag is exciting and frustrating all at the same time. Sorta like going to a strip club. lmao

Gordo

Athens County
Great journal this year Gordo. Looking forward to it next season. Think of it this way: If it was so easy you tagged a whopper every year, you probably wouldn't get as excited over it. Knowing you can be so close, so many times, yet end a season with that buck tag is exciting and frustrating all at the same time. Sorta like going to a strip club. lmao

No doubt about it phil.

In the long run, its better that I didnt tag that buck this year.

I'm more motivated then ever for next season.

Coming up short is fueling my fire. I have alot to learn and alot to do

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good job Gordo with holding out for your target buck he will be bigger next season and it is hard to let those other ones walk but you would not have been satisfied with anything less.Good luck on taking him next season and with finding his sheds.

Gordo

Athens County
Good job Gordo with holding out for your target buck he will be bigger next season and it is hard to let those other ones walk but you would not have been satisfied with anything less.Good luck on taking him next season and with finding his sheds.

Thanks buddy.

Your right in saying no other deer would have been satisfying. I hope to get after him again next year. Time will tell. Who knows what the scenario will b next year

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Regarding the strip club comparison, speak from your own experience buddy.....

Hahaha! Buddy it has been 15yrs or more since I have been to one. Believe on my bachelor party they took me to one as it is obligatory to hit at least one isn't it?

No there are many of us on TOO who belong to the "strip club." Married with children. We are stripped of our spare time, money, cupboards keep getting robbed clean. . . .it is a different world now. Never did like those clubs anyway. I am too cheap to go to them especially if I have my own beautiful bride here at home.

Gordo

Athens County
Hahaha! Buddy it has been 15yrs or more since I have been to one. Believe on my bachelor party they took me to one as it is obligatory to hit at least one isn't it?

No there are many of us on TOO who belong to the "strip club." Married with children. We are stripped of our spare time, money, cupboards keep getting robbed clean. . . .it is a different world now. Never did like those clubs anyway. I am too cheap to go to them especially if I have my own beautiful bride here at home.

Couldnt agree more buddy. Being hustled is never a good feeling. Especially by a couple chicks in thongs