Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gordo's 2015 Season Log

Gordo

Athens County
I'm a bit over bowed right now. Life be easier if i could score a #40 immediately. Shit, even a 20 or 30 pounder to get that muscle memory headed the right direction. Im running #50 right now.

Had my wife take a video clip and im not getting all the way back to my achor point after a few arrows. I can stack them on top of each other within 12 yards, and am consistent, but im releasing about 3 inches from the corner of my mouth. It seems by doing this im getting a better site picture. Almost looking down the arrow.

I gotta get that fixed, yeah? Could turn into hard to break habits if not.

With that being said, golfers get away with 3/4 swings.

Here i go, over thinking

Gordo

Athens County
Keep it up Gordo!!! You can do it!!! Good luck buddy!

My first shot when im fresh has been absolutely money. Im drawing all tbe way back to my anchor, easily holding, pickin a spot, and shooting some beautiful arrows.

Dont have the strenghth to just power through a shit ton of arrows, so im done trying. No need for bad habits.

Put a deer inside 10 yards/broadside, and i'd take the shot right now with extreme confidence.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The closer you get the arrow to the bottom of your eye the more accurate you will be. Try to us the top finger on your cheek bone as an anchor as well as corner of your mouth.

Gordo

Athens County
The closer you get the arrow to the bottom of your eye the more accurate you will be. Try to us the top finger on your cheek bone as an anchor as well as corner of your mouth.

Good advice. Thanks bro. Kind of ties together with my rambling earlier in the thread. Let u know how it goes

Hope u been doing great man!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Doing good G man. Best thing I can tell you is the longer you can hold at full draw, the more time you give your kind to react to your sight picture. That's why I shoot a 47-52 pound bow. Focus on your back tension and let the bow pull the string away from you.

Gordo

Athens County

Shooting three under seems to help bring the arrow closer to my eye. Just let one fly using cheek bone as reference point. First arrow was great. Shouldnt have shot anymore. Ill keep that in mind.

You shoot 3 under?

Gordo

Athens County
Doing good G man. Best thing I can tell you is the longer you can hold at full draw, the more time you give your kind to react to your sight picture. That's why I shoot a 47-52 pound bow. Focus on your back tension and let the bow pull the string away from you.

I really wish i had a 40ish lber. Im on the look out.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Shooting three under seems to help bring the arrow closer to my eye. Just let one fly using cheek bone as reference point. First arrow was great. Shouldnt have shot anymore. Ill keep that in mind.

You shoot 3 under?

Don't expect too much at first. Spend your time at 10 yards and make sure that you give yourself some time to get used to the sight picture. Learning back tension with a stick bow is different feeling. Don't set yourself up to fail by having too make expectation. You have to mentally slow it all down and don't get frustrated. I don't shoot three under but have in the past. Change your angle or perspective as you practice.
Your mind will get lazy if you shoot the same thing every single time. Also keep track of your trends on when something goes wrong, see if there is a pattern.

Gordo

Athens County
Don't expect too much at first. Spend your time at 10 yards and make sure that you give yourself some time to get used to the sight picture. Learning back tension with a stick bow is different feeling. Don't set yourself up to fail by having too make expectation. You have to mentally slow it all down and don't get frustrated. I don't shoot three under but have in the past. Change your angle or perspective as you practice.
Your mind will get lazy if you shoot the same thing every single time. Also keep track of your trends on when something goes wrong, see if there is a pattern.

Solid advice

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Just went out for a quick session and shit really well. Better than this morning. I'm telling you the longer you can hold at full draw,
Your mind will take over and put it home

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm shittin pretty well right now as a matter of fact! LMAO

GREAT STUFF MILO!!!! When I heal up me and the recurve ya lent me are gonna hit the target butt! BTW, I gotz to get it back to you sometime! Maybe we can hookup around deer gun season when you're down!

Gordo

Athens County
I gotta say, im crushing it with the recurve lately.

2 years ago i learned alot when going trad after filking buck tag early. Unfortunately, most of it was wrong. I was doing this snap type of shooting, not even getting all the way back to anchor because its 'instincts' i thought. Didnt work out well.

This time around, instead of blowing through a hundrede arrows a day, creating bad habits, i have slown way down.

I cant believe it. Secret to success is holding at that anchor for a good 3 count

Gordo

Athens County
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443472662.980714.jpg

Scouted a little today and hunh my climbing sticks. Acorn flat ripped up. This tree just offers great cover also. B there an evening this week. I am fired up

Last edited: