Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

groundhog

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
There was a guy a few years back at the Fulton County Fair cooking it up over an open fire offering samples. It was pretty good but it is still a groundhog, not something I am used to eating. My son loved it, but he eats about anything. He has even brested out crows....yech!!

swamp_donkey819

so are you legally aloud to just shoot groundhog on state land and leave it lay or will you get in trouble for it ? i actually wanna try it but if i shoot a big one i really wont have a use for it

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
so are you legally aloud to just shoot groundhog on state land and leave it lay or will you get in trouble for it ? i actually wanna try it but if i shoot a big one i really wont have a use for it

I'm not sure about State Land since I have never hunted it but you might want to check with the park office or the local Wildlife Officer and ask. I know there are some places that don't allow rifles to be used for hunting.

swamp_donkey819

ok i wasnt sure, im only using shotgun and once my bow gets sighted in ill be using that to, i found a use for em my friend wants the hides from them so she can practice tanning them but i wasnt sure cause i i know some people shoot coyotes take a pic of them and leave em lay and others keep them for the hides and some just shoot em to get rid of em wasnt sure if it went the same way for groundhogs

next thing youll try to roast a damn crow lik that goofy bastard on os did. coon crow and goondhog all taste like shit i gareetee you that. had a coon once an old mna in portsmouth made it for mee tastes like pot roast cook in an dirty old sock. gound hog probably tastes the same. theree is no reason to eat shit if your not in a survival situation. beaver is the only varmint that tastes good ask dale.

swamp_donkey819

yea i decided not to try it. didnt find any good recipes and everyone seems to have the same opinion plus it takes about week just to prepare it to eat and i just dont see the sense in wasting that much time and ingredients for something that will turn out bad anyways

badger

*Supporting Member*
next thing youll try to roast a damn crow lik that goofy bastard on os did. coon crow and goondhog all taste like shit i gareetee you that. had a coon once an old mna in portsmouth made it for mee tastes like pot roast cook in an dirty old sock. gound hog probably tastes the same. theree is no reason to eat shit if your not in a survival situation. beaver is the only varmint that tastes good ask dale.

Tom, you are mistaken on this one. I've ate plenty of coon and groundhogs without any complaints from me. Proper field care, healthy animals, and proper cooking methods will yield some fine vittles out of either animal.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Years ago my Dad's buddy, now deceased, held a "roadkill fest" every year that benefited the local pheasants forever. If it was legal to hunt it was cooked there. I remeber the groundhog stew was really good. I always went for that. It tasted pretty much like rabbit. If you've never tried BBQ raccoon your missing out. It honestly tastes like beef. One thing is they always said the young ones were the ones to eat for both Ghogs and coon.

swamp_donkey819

hey if it can be cooked ill try it, ong as i can actually find the proper way to dress it and prepare it and actually find a good recipe ill make it. and yea i heard bbq coon was really good, i heard if coon is cooked right it has a sweet taste to it, but how would you know if it had diseases like mange or ecoli or rabies or whatever else they have