Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Groundhogs 2016

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Living vicariously through you, J! I always enjoy groudhog hunting. Haven't had a chance to get out yet this year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463159266.825664.jpg

Gorgeous day out, little breezy but nice sunny day it turned out too be... May not last but I'm taking advantage of it lol

Wmiller07

Well I knocked on a few doors and got permission to groundhog hunt. The weeds and grass were too tall to really see anything so I will go back after they have the fields planted. There is also a pasture and shed with supposedly has a bunch. It was just nice to get outside. Saw some coyote dens and old hog holes. Also saw a bunch of deer beds.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well I knocked on a few doors and got permission to groundhog hunt. The weeds and grass were too tall to really see anything so I will go back after they have the fields planted. There is also a pasture and shed with supposedly has a bunch. It was just nice to get outside. Saw some coyote dens and old hog holes. Also saw a bunch of deer beds.

Congrats on acquiring the permission.... That's a good day there... It's slow, like you said the fields are high and ready for the first cut to come off.... Some have already taken it off but it hasn't been many and this rain isn't helping matters any either....

Look forward too your postings....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks and I knew it was a long shot today with the weather but I just wanted to get out of the house.

I've been out 3-4 times now and haven't seen any, but it's been sunny days and I'm just laying down watching the scenery and enjoying the Rays....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
IMG_1845.JPG

Damn ground hogs kept eating my soybeans. I sat up in the new box blind last night and hammered two of them with the 17hmr. Here is the first one.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks Chad and J! Wasn't that great of shooting, I was in a box blind with the gun benched on the blind and he came out at about 30 yards haha. I just put it on him and squeezed. The second one was a bit trickier at around 100 yards, shot right over him at first then adjusted and connected. haha

very fun though, can't wait to go again. It is a great type of hunting to bring a kind along too.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Nice job Al. The 17s are a sweet varmint gun. True tack drivers.

its probably my favorite gun i ever bought, bought it in college for 300 bucks. Its a savage, bolt action 17hmr. I have killed so many coons, squirrels, ground hogs, rabbits, etc with it. I only shoot hornady rounds out of it, and they just kill shit!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
its probably my favorite gun i ever bought, bought it in college for 300 bucks. Its a savage, bolt action 17hmr. I have killed so many coons, squirrels, ground hogs, rabbits, etc with it. I only shoot hornady rounds out of it, and they just kill shit!
I bought my boy the same one for Christmas back in 08. Had the accutrigger. I loved shooting the gun as much as him. I remember picking off a crow at 150 yds once. Unfortunately right before the next Christmas we got robbed and they took all our guns.

Wmiller07

Struck out again. Doesn't seem like there are many in those fields anymore. Saw a few old holes and maybe one active. There is another farm I can hunt and supposedly there are some under his barn. I did however see pidgeon, a deer, a rabbit and if I would have had a .22 with me I could have shot a bunch of starlings.