Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks Lawn Services truck racing

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@5Cent Don't get me wrong, I'm ready to show. Forecast just isn't very encouraging.

PXL_20230512_061113974.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Any tracks up north this year? Oak Shade or Fremont?
Fremont runs the V8 trucks but we've never been invited. We've run Oakshade the last two years, but they didn't put us in the schedule this year.

Limaland, Waynesfield, Montpelier and Gas City Indiana. Those are the tracks they have us scheduled this year. Appreciate you asking though.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Digesting the night. Went out in hot laps and felt pretty good. Had no power steering. Went out for heat race. Started 6th. Finished 3rd. Was bumper to bumper for 1-2-3 until lap 5 or 6 when I tried a higher line to see try to pass on the outside and I jumped the cushion.ost about a second. Never made it back up. In fact, lap 4 or 5 I tried it and lost half a second. Tried it again and jumped the cushion. One of those things where you need to try because you never know if it is a better line of you don't try it.

My oil spewing issue reared its ugly head again. Guess I'll work on that along with the power steering. Back to the drawing board.

Rained out before our feature. Now we will race a double feature night June 16. Going to need to make it last through two hot laps, heat races, and features.
Screenshot_20230512-224603.png
PXL_20230512_225751447.jpg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Great to see ya got some more seat time Phil. It'll all come together one of these races, keep grinding, keep searching for that perfect lap....it's out there!

There's a point at 7,000 RPMs where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. It disappears. All that's left, a body moving through space, and time."

P8riot

Carbon, In
I would imagine sitting in that seat, cruising around turn 4 up to the line waiting for the green flag is such an adrenaline rush!!!! I need to feel an adrenaline rush. The only rush I get is hearing a wasp buzz my head these days!!

I'm saying prayers that you have a great and safe season this year! I'm following along with your updates.

Reactions: hickslawns

P8riot

Carbon, In
Gas City is 100 miles from me. I will demo derby that Buick I have in my garage. 🤣 I have enough frustration in my life to start messing with cars again. I love them...but also hate them. Especially in a time crunch like a race scenario, that would make me nuts!

• Haha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The video doesn't lie and it can be humbling. Saw video of the heat race before we rained out.

Things I learned: Truck is fast. It fast enough to just put motor everyone. I tried to pass low in a rutted out section where there is a broken tile they haven't repaired yet. Got squirrely and lost time. Had a couple restarts for guys who got a flat tire or transmission locked up in another truck. 3 laps to go and I tried the high line. Got too high and jumped the cushion. Lost precious time. So basically I am learning I need to be more patient. Tuck in. Hang with the leaders. Pass when they bobble. Focus on hitting my marks. Just need to be smoother out there.

The two guys with faster lap times than me have over 50 years racing and close to 400 feature wins combined. They really aren't that much faster. They are just better drivers with more experience. Tony races three classes a night. He knows exactly how that track changes throughout the night. He has more track and series championships under his belt than I have races. Lol. Point being: there is zero shame in getting beat by these two. They probably shouldn't be cherry picking an entry level class of $2500 trucks with their $5-10k trucks. No hard feelings here. It just is what it is. Truthfully, if you want to improve, then you race the best. These two help push the class to improve. On the flip side, they probably prevent the class from growing at times too. Nobody spends the time and money to race for 3rd or 4th.

The kid in the 9r truck won our heat. He is proof positive you don't need to have the fastest lap time to win. He is really green but went out and ran consistent laps. It served him well. First night in the truck for him although he may have gotten some test and tune time that I don't know about. He did a great job. It helps to have a father in law with unlimited budget for you. Not a knock. His FIL is top notch and very generous. Helps a lot of racers and classes out. Just saying it helps if you are starting in a competitive truck rather than a turd. Lol

FB_IMG_1684119836555.jpg
Screenshot_20230514-101117.png
FB_IMG_1684096533172.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tomorrow we race Waynesfield Raceway Park. 6 classes are running. They are running wing AND non-wing sprint cars and modified. When those three classes are done the trucks, stock cars, and compact cars run. Not real jiggy about the format but it might work. With two sprint car classes, I expect the track to slick off. It has had one race this year. Good chance it will be rougher than a cob for us too.

Edit to my previous post: Tony has 398 wins. Not sure on Rolly. Roughly 75 give or take a few. So top two drivers in our "entry level class" are combined for close to 500 feature wins. Lol. Whenever I get my first win it is going to be sweet. It will be like the 78yr old guy who finally shot his first Ohio Big Buck. 🤣

I did swap power steering pump and was forced to swap the rack and pinion as well. Having working power steering won't hurt my feelings. Went to test and belt was not spinning. Swapped it out. Still no spin. Had to get a shorter belt (no tensioner on it.) Come back. Starter won't crank. The ol girl made me put some loving into her between races. New 5pt harness since my old one was outdated. I think (hope and pray) she is ready to rock. I also believe I figured out the oil leak/spray issue. Be nice to go thru a night with no mechanical issues.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you aint wrenching, you aint pushing it hard enough. Lol. Good luck
Or you are rolling the dice hoping it holds together. I put in my hours between races in efforts to avoid issues. Stuff happens though. Sometimes you push and all you find is the next weakest link.

Reactions: giles and P8riot

P8riot

Carbon, In
Tomorrow we race Waynesfield Raceway Park. 6 classes are running. They are running wing AND non-wing sprint cars and modified. When those three classes are done the trucks, stock cars, and compact cars run. Not real jiggy about the format but it might work. With two sprint car classes, I expect the track to slick off. It has had one race this year. Good chance it will be rougher than a cob for us too.

Edit to my previous post: Tony has 398 wins. Not sure on Rolly. Roughly 75 give or take a few. So top two drivers in our "entry level class" are combined for close to 500 feature wins. Lol. Whenever I get my first win it is going to be sweet. It will be like the 78yr old guy who finally shot his first Ohio Big Buck. 🤣

I did swap power steering pump and was forced to swap the rack and pinion as well. Having working power steering won't hurt my feelings. Went to test and belt was not spinning. Swapped it out. Still no spin. Had to get a shorter belt (no tensioner on it.) Come back. Starter won't crank. The ol girl made me put some loving into her between races. New 5pt harness since my old one was outdated. I think (hope and pray) she is ready to rock. I also believe I figured out the oil leak/spray issue. Be nice to go thru a night with no mechanical issues.
When you're racing against $ and experience like that, all you can do is stay consistent and hope for an error on their part.

I'm sure your day will come!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When you're racing against $ and experience like that, all you can do is stay consistent and hope for an error on their part.

I'm sure your day will come!
Sort of like deer hunting, if it was easy we would find something different to challenge us. I've had a handful of laps running with them. With more consistency, I can hang with them every race. Get to the point where you may not be able to pass them, BUT they can't get around you either.

I want to emphasize the reasoning I mentioned these veteran guys or bigger budget guys is NOT to cry, complain, or make excuses. They are simply the bar. That is where I need to get to.

Reactions: Clay Showalter

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Truck got pretzeled. I heard it was pretty gnarly to witness. Think I'm okay. Told track people i was. They believed me. Never even made me go to the squad to get checked out. Got it loaded. Drive home. Parked in front of my shop typing this and processing/digesting things. I'm at the pissed off stage.

Cross that off the "been there done that" column in life; rolled a race truck and put on a great show for the fans.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I kid you not, mid roll this is the exact thought I had "this isn't good."

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Truck got pretzeled. I heard it was pretty gnarly to witness. Think I'm okay. Told track people i was. They believed me. Never even made me go to the squad to get checked out. Got it loaded. Drive home. Parked in front of my shop typing this and processing/digesting things. I'm at the pissed off stage.

Cross that off the "been there done that" column in life; rolled a race truck and put on a great show for the fans.
Glad you're hopefully OK.