Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hickslawns Hunting log

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Short hunt tonight. It was all I could squeeze in though. Got into the stand at 4pm and rolled out at 545pm without seeing a deer. I mixed it up and tried a stand I had not hunted this year. Deer had been using 2 different fields in the area mainly. I felt from the direction I had seen them coming and going I had a good chance to catch them in transition from bedding to food. Might have slid in just a tad late for this, but I didn't see any feeding in the fields on my way out. I dunno. It was worth a shot.

Hours on stand: 1 hr 45min
Deer seen: None

Hours on stand for season: 121.5
Deer seen: 211

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I saw a couple shooters coming straight in last night out of that stand but I started coughing really bad and they fled to the next county. That might have had something to do with it. lmao

Sorry Phil, j/k buddy! Just got home from working some OT and feeling a bit ornery.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Way to stick with it buddy! Glad to hear there's still some TOOzers still giving it the best they can. Goodluck on your next few sits you have left!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What sort of idiot forgets his gloves on Jan 28? Doh!

The kind of idiot that is in a hurry to hit the stand! Fear me tonight you sneaky deer! I want to tag one so bad I would jump out of stand with my knife tonight! Waaaaarrrrr! (Battle cry). Ha ha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well. . . 4pm to 615pm on stand. Windy as all get out. No squirrels moving. No birds. Nothing but trees creaking in the wind.

Maybe 45min left to hunt and I see deer way off. Estimated 1/4 to 1/2 mile away on the other side of the field. Bear in mind this is a frozen field which had been plowed under. I chose this stand and route of entry because it was a perfect wind for this stand. The ONLY direction I could get winded tonight is if the deer walked out in the open and straight across this frozen, plowed field. Which direction you suppose they came? Yep. Unbelievable.

Ironically, I had not seen a deer from the stand on this property all year. Tonight the does/yearlings were herded up and I had at least 13 of them. It was tough to keep track of them all, but I counted minimum 13 different deer. Only 11 crossed the field for whatever reason. They came within 75-100yds from me. It appeared they were going to come in behind me and follow a trail to the cornfield to my west. I don't know why other than the high winds, but they got spooky when 40-50yds from the edge of the woods and 75-100yds from my stand. Could have been a coyote, could have winded me, or could have just gotten spooky because of the high winds. I don't know but for whatever reason they turned around and headed right back across the field. Sucks, but that is hunting.

Hours on stand: 2.25
Deer seen: 13

Season hours: 123.75
Deer seen: 224

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There's one thing I hate more than hunting on a windy day, and this is hunting on a COLD windy day! Way to keep at it Phil!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hit it yesterday morning. Originally plans did not allow, but the schedule changed. I figured I better get out there as the rest of the week looks pretty warm and mild. I hunted a stand and woods I had never hunted. Shed hunted it in the past. Ran cameras out there all year. Just never physically hunted it before. I guess I am grasping for anything at this point. Last year we got some sheds from a buck that over wintered there. I was hoping to sit in a stand with a nice vantage point to learn about their late season habits. I have been road scouting the area off and on all year.

Hit the stand early. Probably 3/4mile -1mile hike to get in there. Played the wind. Hunted from 7-930am. Saw nothing. I just don't know. I am scratching my head. Only known fact here is the area has everything they need. It was freaking cold there yesterday morning. Liked to have frozen my giblets off. Seeing a deer or even a coyote would have helped. Bringing one more layer or The Warm Bag would have helped. Didn't matter if I was warm or cold though. Still no deer moving.

Hunt: 2.5hrs on stand
Deer seen: None

Season hours: 126.25

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Up and at them early this morning. Walking in at 6am. 1/2-3/4mile walk. Found my tree, hung my climber. Got situated. Started to rain. Got soaked. Rain changed to snow. Saw two turkeys. Not a single deer to be seen. Came home. Conditioned washer and dryer with my hunting detergent and fabric softener sheet. Waiting on dryer to get the gear ready. I guess I shouldn't have washed it first. Maybe just throw in the dryer and be ready to hunt would have been a tad quicker.

Debating on where to hunt this afternoon. I am starting to think the deer are afraid of me. That must be the reason I am not seeing any.:tantrum: Oh well. I think the climber is staying home. Millenium and LW sticks are going in tonight. Time to hunt in close to the bedding. We most always stay out of there unless shed hunting or recovering a deer during the season. Well. . . running out of season. Time to get aggressive! I won't pull the setup until I am done tomorrow. This NE wind has me a good bit screwed up. The stands I can hunt at the farm on a NE wind isn't going to get me in bow range. They are more observation stands or gun stands. Getting a deer in bow range in them is more a matter of luck than regularity.

Morning hunt: 2.75hrs
Deer seen: zip

Hours hunted on season: 129

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Last stand. Best of luck to anyone else trying to beat the buzzer with a last day archery tag!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk