Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

how long to wait?

JPN

coshocton
This evening I cleared out a spot to put in a food plot. Im putting in some antler king no-till in one section and turnips on the other. I just mowed the area with a push mower and now Im planning on spraying some weed killer on in it. My question is how long do I need to wait after the weed killer before a start to plant the other.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm no expert, but I've used antler king. If I'm not mistaken it can be spring or fall planted. If I'm right, you might want to wait until the fall. The rape that's in it won't be touched until heavy frost turns it purple anyway. The stuff we put in last year was left alone until January then it was hammered.
If anyone disagrees, please feel free to correct me. I'm still learning food plots as well.

Huckleberry Finn

Depends...the simple answer is after the stuff that's there turns brown and dies (a week).

What kind of weed killer did you use, round up?

I can't tell you how many times I have sprayed something and 5 days later thought "oh crap its not going to die" only to pump it again, and the next day it's dead. Whoops. Even roundup pro takes time.

JPN

coshocton
I'm no expert, but I've used antler king. If I'm not mistaken it can be spring or fall planted. If I'm right, you might want to wait until the fall. The rape that's in it won't be touched until heavy frost turns it purple anyway. The stuff we put in last year was left alone until January then it was hammered.
If anyone disagrees, please feel free to correct me. I'm still learning food plots as well.

I was planning on waiting a little while before I plant, it was pretty cool out last night so I thought I'd go out and work on it. Im planning on planting the turnips around the 2nd week in July so maybe I'll plant the no till then as well...thanks for your help everyone.

JPN

coshocton
why cant you just till it all up, and plant. would the grass/weeds choke it out?

Maybe I can, im not sure. This is really my first time putting in a plot. I was really just wanting to kill off everything for the Antler king no-till that I wasnt going till up. Would that grow as well if I do till it since it is a no-till?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Maybe I can, im not sure. This is really my first time putting in a plot. I was really just wanting to kill off everything for the Antler king no-till that I wasnt going till up. Would that grow as well if I do till it since it is a no-till?

Tilling it up will only improve the growth. The no-till blends are usualy hardy seed types that can compete in a less than ideal environment. Give them the best chance to succeed and they'll perform better than billed...

BM was right in his advice. Its almost a given you have to go two rounds with weed killer. When the weeds seem to be recovering, hit them again and you should be good. The most important thing with no-till is making sure to get decent seed to soil contact, which I'm sure you know. That's why removing the excessive dead vegetation and running a disc, tiller, or even harrow drag over the area is a good idea. The better the seed bed, the better the growth. Even from seeds that are billed to grow with no tilling. The best looking plot I have ever had was a no-till that I turned with a disc...

JPN

coshocton
Tilling it up will only improve the growth. The no-till blends are usualy hardy seed types that can compete in a less than ideal environment. Give them the best chance to succeed and they'll perform better than billed...

BM was right in his advice. Its almost a given you have to go two rounds with weed killer. When the weeds seem to be recovering, hit them again and you should be good. The most important thing with no-till is making sure to get decent seed to soil contact, which I'm sure you know. That's why removing the excessive dead vegetation and running a disc, tiller, or even harrow drag over the area is a good idea. The better the seed bed, the better the growth. Even from seeds that are billed to grow with no tilling. The best looking plot I have ever had was a no-till that I turned with a disc...

That makes sense. I'll go ahead and till them both then...

Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I would simply roll the seed to get good contact and let it be. Dragging it will bury the seed TOO deep. But you'll be in good shape if you till it up. I always roll, broadcast seed, then roll again. Pretty solid system...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just a thought if on a shoe string budget. Ever watch them drag the infields of the ball diamonds? Back in the day you would see a station wagon/lawn mower/tractor/truck with a section of chain link fence and some foundation blocks on top of it. This can work too. If it is a big enough area and you just want to level it out a bit or break down the top layer of tilled ground a little bit finer, this could be an option for you too. Might even work for picking up some of the dead weeds/grasses and getting them off the worked up area but I am not 100% sure how well it would work. Just some ideas.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just a thought if on a shoe string budget. Ever watch them drag the infields of the ball diamonds? Back in the day you would see a station wagon/lawn mower/tractor/truck with a section of chain link fence and some foundation blocks on top of it. This can work too. If it is a big enough area and you just want to level it out a bit or break down the top layer of tilled ground a little bit finer, this could be an option for you too. Might even work for picking up some of the dead weeds/grasses and getting them off the worked up area but I am not 100% sure how well it would work. Just some ideas.

My drag consists of a chainlink fence strung through some barstock and pulled by a chain. It works great following an ATV.

I've had a few guys that were experienced food-plotters recommend against using chain linked fence for a drag. According to them, dragging with a fence has a tendency to drag a lot of your seed into one spot, like where you make a sharp turn or something. This is pretty counterproductive, considering the effort gone through to ensure an even broadcast across the plot. As Jesse said, it can also result in burying certain seed too deep. A lawn roller or a packer is the way to go. Have you ever seen a farmer pull a chain linked fence across one of his fields? I haven't.... But I've seen them pull plenty of packers over their seed.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am referring more to doing this prior to spreading the seed Jim. If you disk it or till it and want it broken down a bit more, then a chainlink fence drag is a cheap alternative to buying a cultipacker.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am referring more to doing this prior to spreading the seed Jim. If you disk it or till it and want it broken down a bit more, then a chainlink fence drag is a cheap alternative to buying a cultipacker.

Sorry, dude. You're absolutely right... a fence is a great tool for preparing the soil prior to spreading seed. You ever see one of those small harrow drags??? The kind with the lever you pull on to set the angle of the small teeth? I borrowed one last year from a buddy and man that thing was the cat's ass for dragging over freshly tilled soil! I've been keeping my eyes on the local auctions and what-not but just haven't come across another one.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think I have one laying around here somewhere. I have something a little better now for the tractor, so I don't pull the harrow anymore. Now that I think about it, I might have borrowed that from the neighbors to try out. Must have returned it. Hell, they had two of them and don't do anything of the sorts. Packrats of old stuff. lol