Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How often do you check your camera's ?

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Jack..

For example...Its 5;30am in early Nov. and for some insane reason your sound asleep... You had no intentions of hunting today..But .all of a sudden Your phone gives an alarm .. you check your email from the cam. Its a picture of a 170 inch buck with 4 drop tines making a scrape right in front of your cam. Will that give you any incentive to get your butt outta bed and spend the day in your stand?...I would say ..Yes. Another example..Your alarm sounds again while at work around 12:30pm..Theres a 170 inch buck feeding at your bait pile ...Will that give you the incentive to hunt after work?

Jack i prefer filet and alil red wine..See you tonite?? :)

Jesse..

Not sayin it will make it put bucks on the ground but what it will do is Reveal the "Unknowns" more conveiently...In which saves from wearing out alot of boot soles. The "Unknowns" is what separates us all from good ..bad or great hunters. :)

Didnt you say you reside in washington county?? I can be there in 5 hours..just need directions for din din :)

Last edited:
Ohio Mossy Oak,

...Not sayin not use em..but what i am sayin it will illiminate walking to your cam every other day...in which is a good thing.:smiley_coolpeace:

Is that an invite to dinner?:smiley_bril:

Hunting is an has been about getting the upper hand..Your full chit if you tell me it aint..I GUARANTEE you use items or gear that puts you at a advantage..You want fair an ethical get out there butt ass naked an strangle that monster 12 point with your bare fuggin hands..I could careless if a hunter wants to use a wireless cam.An then go out there an an wack a deer over a corn pile with a crossbow..I hunt within the law an follow MY OWN ethics..

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
OMO..

Then i say use em..dude..whats with all the anger..We are having a discussion...I Am listening to what everyones saying. Discussion is good. :)

Here's what Im getting at..The more you use technology to substitute trying to figure out this game the less rewarding it will be when success does come...Thats all im sayin....Am i guilty of it..?..Absolutely.....But i know in the back of my mind to acheive the maximum feeling of satififaction that i must keep it simple and keep it difficult. Because if it becomes easy then i will become disintreseted... thats just me..eveyones different.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jack..

For example...Its 5;30am in early Nov. and for some insane reason your sound asleep... You had no intentions of hunting today..But .all of a sudden Your phone gives an alarm .. you check your email from the cam. Its a picture of a 170 inch buck with 4 drop tines making a scrape right in front of your cam. Will that give you any incentive to get your butt outta bed and spend the day in your stand?...I would say ..Yes. Another example..Your alarm sounds again while at work around 12:30pm..Theres a 170 inch buck feeding at your bait pile ...Will that give you the incentive to hunt after work?

Jack i prefer filet and alil red wine..See you tonite?? :)

Jesse..

Not sayin it will make it put bucks on the ground but what it will do is Reveal the "Unknowns" more conveiently...In which saves from wearing out alot of boot soles. The "Unknowns" is what separates us all from good ..bad or great hunters. :)

Didnt you say you reside in washington county?? I can be there in 5 hours..just need directions for din din :)

Neither of those scenarios give you any advantage.. What's the odds of you getting your butt up, going through a scent routine, driving to the property, sneaking all the way through the woods to your stand, climbing up, and that buck still be there making a scrape or eating at my bait pile within range of my stand... Slim to none and slim left town. There is ZERO advantage over that and a SD card cam. Both will only tell you when you should have been there. With the wireless cam you just get to kick yourself in the butt much quicker.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here's what Im getting at..The more you use technology to substitute trying to figure out this game the less rewarding it will be when success does come...Thats all im sayin....Am i guilty of it..?..Absolutely.....But i know in the back of my mind to acheive the maximum feeling of satififaction that i must keep it simple and keep it difficult. Because if it becomes easy then i will become disintreseted... thats just me..eveyones different.

My biggest issue with you has been, and will most likely always be the fact that you make some pretty grandiose blanket statements and the bolded statement above is a classic example of that. That statement might be true for you, but that does not mean that it applies to me, or anyone else here on TOO. I have always, and will always embrace technology. The first mature buck I killed, was the first deer to ever step in front of a camera for me. Did that picture lead to his death? Yes. But only in the fact that it let me know he existed and it drove me to hunt harder that year than I ever had. The fact that I actually did kill him (two months and 1/2 mile away later) has nothing to do with new technology. My wireless cam has taken pictures of over a dozen shooter bucks in 3 years, all of which have eluded me. Never once in three years have I had a picture come in (while I was monitoring the camera) of a mature buck that would have been killable at that time. (In fact, I've never had an in season, daylight picture of a shooter in three years on that cam...) To sit here and tell me that it makes it easier for me to kill him, or that is makes it less of an achievement, is pure nonsense.

Like I said before, you are talking out of your ass on this because you have ZERO experience with it. It is just your opinion, not based in fact, and supported by your elitist views of the sport. At the end of the day, I have the experience to base my statements on and that's what it takes to make informed, educated statements. When you've seen first hand that wireless technology does not guarantee success, and it does not make things easier, then come back and we’ll talk about it. Until then, I’m not buying it because I know better…

OMO..

Then i say use em..dude..whats with all the anger..We are having a discussion...I Am listening to what everyones saying. Discussion is good. :)

Anger??? I wouldnt call it that..All though your "better then others" attitude i am getting from you does annoy me a bit..An from the sound of some other members post..I aint the only one feeling that way about you..An in response to your statement""

.The more you use technology to substitute trying to figure out this game the less rewarding it will be when success does come.."

.You do not know what makes hunting rewarding to me an the others on this forum.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

So essentially, you admit to it. You tell everyone it is cheating. You tell everyone it makes it easier. You are simply trolling. We don't care for that around here. You know as well as anyone on here a mature buck (or mature doe for that matter) will have the upper hand on us a large percentage of the time. They didn't get mature by not being observant. What trail cameras do for most people is give them a little more drive to get out there and keep at it when the mosquitoes are in their ears in the early season or when the ice is forming on their beards in the late season. They give me a picture (sometimes but not all the time) of what I have most likely already seen while scouting or shed hunting or road scouting with binoculars or in the tree stand out of range or . . . More times than not, we know when there is a pretty nice buck in the area.

My suggestions to you would be to make statements based on your personal experiences or specify what you are saying is YOUR opinion. Grandiose statements put out to stir the pot are not what we are looking for on TOO. Nearly everyone here would appreciate some debate, varying opinions, and humor. Please think a little before you make broad statements with no other intent than to stir the pot and you will be welcome here for as long as you would like. Come around to stir the pot and you can go back to whatever other sites you like to start crap on. Plenty of idiots out there that might even buy into what you are saying. Notice I said "Saying" not "Doing". We all know you use cameras, so starting crap on here about their superior advantages is nothing more than starting crap on here without reason.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Jack/Jesse ,

You guys have a great site here and it seems I'll always be a target. I don't wanna upset you guys everytime I type something that 's offensive to some.

Maybe it's best if you just delete my account. :(

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jack/Jesse ,

You guys have a great site here and it seems I'll always be a target. I don't wanna upset you guys everytime I type something that 's offensive to some.

Maybe instead look within yourself and try too see what causes you too rub people the wrong way.... It's been going on since you first started posting on the other site so it's not just the TOO site folks, it's most everyone you come into contact with..... Most don't see eye too eye with your methology..... You hunt your way and others will hunt theirs..... One is no more right or wrong then the others..... You need too tone down the debate mode you're in.....

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Fellows ,,

I'm stuck in traffic in Washington pa.. Nightmare ... Looks like I'll be eating Crenos pizza in new concord Ohio tonight since no one has din din ready :)

Mountaineer

Banned
WV

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jack/Jesse ,

That would be TOO easy...

We all actually agreed that you had shaped up a little while sitting around the fire at the TOO camp out. Today however, you reverted to your old ways. Whether you lack the ability to adequately convey your thoughts via written communication at times and the fallout is accidental, or you do it purposefully. Either way, you have an amazing ability to craw under peoples skin, especially mine as you well know. A little less generalization and a lot more humility would do you good. If that's not constructive crticisim you can swallow, then having your account deleted here is the least of your troubles. I was one of those people who was of the opinion you had turned over a new leaf here at TOO. I may never care for you, but that doesn't mean you are not welcome here as long as you are participating without creating an uproar. You HAD been doing that. That is until this thread came up and offered the perfect platform for one of your soapbox preachings. Surely by now you know this group is not going to tolerate your initial thread.

Carry on as you wish, but this group will run your ass off before Joe and I ever have a say in it. The members do the speaking around here, Joe and I are just here to act on their behalf...

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Fellows ,,

I'm old school witnessing a change...

I just need to accept it ..understand it and embrace it.. Not easy to do with my stubborn mentality. :)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nothing wrong with being old school man, just don't cram it down our throats! I love the old school, but I'm new school TOO. The greatest thing about hunting is that we all have the ability to do it our way. Is my way the best? No. Is anyone else's the best? Probably not, except for them. We all have a shared passion for the outdoors, just because we don't go about pursuing that passion the same way, does not mean we can't interact without chastizing one anothers differences. The idea here is to exchange and share information in a manner that is beneficial to all. By forming strong opinions based on little to no experience, then lumping us all in the same group, you tend to aliennate people. There are ways to offer opinions without rubbing against the grain. I've said before that a little "tact" would go along way for you when you start speaking your mind. You are entitled to your opinion and we invite you to share it with us, we just ask you do it in a manner that is a little less abrassive. That's all...

Schu72

Streetsboro
Paul,
Hang in there. You have a ton of experience to share, just work on your delivery. Like others have stated, I thought you were finding your niche here on TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wasn't trying to run you off either. I was simply pointing out some hypocritical BS you were spewing at the moment. I really don't think you are a hypocrit, so I figured you were simply stirring the pot. Nobody is asking you to change. I always enjoy some of the old school methods used. Look at Hoot. He is a riot and a wealth of old school information. Same with Ohiosam or FredT with their gun knowledge and stories of rarely seeing deer in Ohio. Even Badger's trapping/snaring info has an old school feel to it. Old school isn't about age. Diablo has an old school flavor to him as well. Like I said, nothing wrong with it, but don't come off targeting a vast majority of the users on this forum (including yourself as a trail camera user) and then act like you weren't looking for an argument. There is a place here for you, but hi-jacking John's thread wasn't the place.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Fuck moutianqueer. He and connie can rub sacks on the other site. I dont need it here.

I have run wireless and the only advantage it offers is not having to stmble around your spot, you can see your bait, minerals, battery life, and whatnot. I have left cameras literally for months... Have the cams helped us kill deer?? Yep, but never a mature buck. You still have to play his game. The cams have taken tens of thousands of pics but they have yet to produce a pic of me over a monster. They tell like other cams when you should have been there. I have learned as much as I have been frustrated by the cams. There really are no shortcuts despite what some tools on the net say.

I will however add one disclaimer.....If you had the cams, the right property, and could hunt with rifles I could see how they could take the fun out of it.