Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How old is this buck?

Kaiser878

ohio
That could be where I screwed up... I always thought you worked from the base to the tip when matching points, not the other way around. Too bad mrex isn't around to clear this up. LOL

No no no.. You do start at the base! thats why the brows are G-1s, then they progress! Those two points on that deer are typical and would be scored in numerical order as typical points! there is nothing Non-Typ about them! They are just lacking in length compared to the other side! That deer is a stud and should be put out of his studdly misery! KILL, JD....... KILL!!!!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey guys, I just want to clear this up in what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that you score the rack from beam tips to base. I was just trying to prove my tine mating steps. On the other hand Zach, you are/were also correct in that the tine in question is a typical tine(not a nontypical pt...aka,flyer,sticker or drop). I talked to a good buddy tonight who has scored over a hundred bucks in the past 20 years about this particular buck. He said, it all depends on HOW the official scorer sees it as to how it will be measured. He also was in agreement with me that even though the tine is a typical tine by all definition, it does sound to be somewhat of a abnormal(not nontypical) tine and it could be a straight deduction. It would be the same if it were out toward the end of the beam as a g-5. I'm not saying that I'm right and Zach is wrong but I just wanted to clarify what point I was trying to make. Bottom line I guess, it's up to how the measurer wants to score it. I do agree with Zach on this though.....................JD!!! Kill that FUGGER!!! Then we can see how this pans out.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok I'm confused. LOL. If the tine is typical by all definition, how can one consider it to be an abnormal point?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ok I'm confused. LOL. If the tine is typical by all definition, how can one consider it to be an abnormal point?
It can be confusing Jim but maybe abnormal was the wrong word. I talked to my buddy again and I think he said it best. He would have scored it the way I was thinking TOO. That tine in question would be scored as a typical G-3 point but it would have NO mate so the left side would be recorded on paper as a big fat zero. So you would have the 2 G-1's, 2 G-2, 1 G-3, 2 G-4's and 2 G-5's. That way all the tines are mated up to one another with the exception of the bastard lone G-3 tine. It would be the same if it were the last tine with NO mate like a typical 7,9,11 point buck would have. It wouldn't be counted against the over all score like a abby/non-typ. pt. would but basically get counted then cancelled out as if it didn't exist. I hope this clears it up abit buddy! This is just how my buddy and I think it should be scored and not necessarily how the eventual measurer would score it if the buck gets killed this year. It is also our opinion that this deer is definitely pretty much max'ed out and is prolly a 4.5 year old and his tine length prolly won't get much longer. He'll just get heavier and MAYBE sprout a few stickers. We figured he'd gross right at 150 +/- an inch or two. So based on this if I were JD, I'd wack his ass! Cuz he won't score much nicer next year but just get wiser! IMO

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Never saw him. Goin back out around 3. He was at corn pile last night so I know he's there. Hopefully this rain were supposed to get will hold off till after dark.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
One of the best of this buck so far. I keep saying the best pic is gonna be with my hands on em but we see how thats going....
[/IMG]
Somebody must have some stinky breath or they're gonna make out???
[/IMG]

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I've been butterin this buck up all week. I've taken a bucket of corn and checked the two cams at the corn pile every morning this week and he vanished tuesday and wednesday but back on schedule thursday morn thru this morn. Hopefully tomorrow morn will be his last breakfast...

Gordo

Athens County
Great buck and good luck droppin the hammer on him.

Is he showing up in daylight at your cams or are you trying to catch him on his way back?