Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How'd you meet your wife?

Buckmaster

Portage
I met my wife in the same mannerism that enabled me to meet many of you.......

I placed my free trial ad on Match.com and on the third day of my free seven day trial my future wife emailed me. That was in 1999. We got married in 2001.

So how about you?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
At a family reunion.

Really.

My best friend from HS came home for a family reunion and we were going out that night and he brought one of his cousins along. She happened to be my future wife. :smiley_bril:

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I met my wife on a bet in a bar. Was out drinking and carousing with some buddies. I was being pretty cocky and a buddy said "you are not the greatest looking guy in the world how do you score these women"?? I said "I am just smoove. In fact pick any woman in the place and I'll have her phone number before we leave tonight"!!

Fugger had to pick a hottie that was going to be some work. Long story short I had to have some help from a girl that was a friend (you know dance with her so I could scope the other one and get her attention). Anyway i ended up dancing with my future wife and getting her number. We did not go on a date for a month or so but spend alot of time talking on the phone. We went out and things just clicked. She moved into my house within a couple months and were married 2 years later. Three kids and 18 years later we are still together for the moment.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
We actually have a pretty good story...

When I was a senior in high school, Tracie was a sophomore. We had a close mutal friend at the time. (Years after this meeting and before Tracie and I got together, there was a weird drunked moment involving a slobbed knob and it's never been the same between us all since! ;) ) Anyways, our friend introduced Tracie to me one day between classes. My wife had, and still has, a great ass and she happened to be wearing her "duct tape" pants that day. (A pair of grey, fake leather pants.) When she turned to walk away, I made the cocky smartass remark to my buddies that: "I'm going to marry that girl someday." The irony with the statement at the time was the fact that she hated me. My best friend at the time used to be best friends with her boyfriend. There was some serious tension between the groups (she and her boyfriend were in band and we were all jocks) so she pretty much hated me and thought I was, in her words, a "total asshole".

Two years after this, we ended up chatting on AIM while I was at OU. She had broke up with her boyfriend and I was working my smooove. Ended up, my roommate had a crush on her for the longest time and wanted to go on a date with her. So I agreed to take one for the team and go on a double date with Tracie and one of her friends. After the date, I asked her how it went and she said my roommate was not for her, but that she wouldn't mind going on a date with me. I broke the new to my roomy and asked for his blessing to take her to a New Years party and he agreed. So I took her to the New Years party and ended up getting plowed and she caught her first buzz. I ended up sleeping with her (taking the old V card in the process) and felt like shit about it the next day. Two days later, she came over to watch the Buckeyes win the National Championship, then we spent 3 hours on the phone afterwards. I basically asked her out because I felt shitty for sleeping with her. The plan was to date her until she graduated high school and left for Kent State thinking I could get out of it then...

We just celebrated 2 wonderful years of marriage and wil;l celebrate 8 years together on January 3, 2011. She never gave me a reason to leave. After a while, I began to realize what I had and was thankful I "did the right thing" even though I did it with unpure intentions. I have been around a lot of marriages and I'd be hard pressed to find someone that has it better than I do. I hit the lottery and it took me a couple of years to realize it!

PS: That same roommate was one of the groomsmen in our wedding. So he did a good thing by not being a dick about me dating her!!!

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
We both worked for the same company at the time. I was fresh out of school, and she was an older & wiser woman who sank her claws into me. Completely took advantage of a much younger and innocent man... the rest is history. (she's only a few months older than me, but she hates when I let people know that :smiley_armscrossed:)

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
After a while, I began to realize what I had and was thankful I "did the right thing" even though I did it with unpure intentions. I have been around a lot of marriages and I'd be hard pressed to find someone that has it better than I do. I hit the lottery and it took me a couple of years to realize it!

Funny how that stuff happens... my wife & I dated for almost 4 years before we got engaged and then married. I did just enough stupid shit during that time to almost screw it up. Believe me, at times it seemed like that was my goal. Luckily she saw through the BS, didn't kill me in the process, and stuck it out. I'm a lucky man.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I met my wife when I was in the 8th grade. I was listening to the Eagles on my Dad's 8 track player when my sister introduced me to her. I knew right then and there that something was different about her. I didn't know what, but I just knew something was different.

Over the next 10 or so years we never spoke much and barely new each other. One time I came home on leave and met her at a bonfire. We kinda hit it off and started dating. I was just trying to get in her pants and she never gave it up. When my leave was over I went back to California and sorta kept in touch for three of four years. When ever I was home we'd hook up (still not getting anything from her either). It wasn't serious and I'd usually date a few other girls too (generally got farther with them).

One time I came home and something was just different. Maybe we grew up, I don't know, but it was different. We ended up getting serious and about six months later she moved to California. We were broke as can be, but some close friends let us stay with them. One evening I had a "premonition" of her in a wedding dress. I occasionally get these "visions". It's weird, and doesn't happen often, but when I do they almost always come true. Anyway, I asked her to marry me and for some reason she said yes. A week later Saddam invaded Kuwait and a week after that I was in Bahrain for the next seven months.

If you can date a girl and have her still waiting for you after an open ended deployment (meaning you don't know when or if your coming home) then chances are you've got a keeper. Two weeks later we got married at the Justice of the Peace in Santa Anna, California (for money purposes) and that June we came home to Ohio for a church wedding. Yes, she was wearing that exact dress, the exact make up, and hair style.

That was 19.5 years ago. We've had ups, downs, really downs, and some really really bad times, but some how always pull through. You name it, we've gone through it. She's stuck with me through six or seven deployments, moving every two to four years, and all the other joys that come with being married to the Marine Corps. She's my best friend and while we don't always see eye to eye I'd do it all over again in a second.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I met my wife on a bet in a bar. Was out drinking and carousing with some buddies. I was being pretty cocky and a buddy said "you are not the greatest looking guy in the world how do you score these women"?? I said "I am just smoove. In fact pick any woman in the place and I'll have her phone number before we leave tonight"!!

Fugger had to pick a hottie that was going to be some work. Long story short I had to have some help from a girl that was a friend (you know dance with her so I could scope the other one and get her attention). Anyway i ended up dancing with my future wife and getting her number. We did not go on a date for a month or so but spend alot of time talking on the phone. We went out and things just clicked. She moved into my house within a couple months and were married 2 years later. Three kids and 18 years later we are still together for the moment.

yeah you lost that bet...just took ya a while ta realize it:smiley_bril:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Met mine in a bar In South Korea. She is Korean and at the time was living in Paris, but was home visiting family. I danced with her sister to make her a little jealous and to get an "in" at the table.. After a while I danced with her too.. She and I ended up in a hotel that night. Simple one night stand.

She moved back to Korea a month later and gave me a call. We ended up just calling each other sometimes.. One morning about 8 months later we were laying in bed and had both just woke up. She was laying on my shoulder. I simply said "Hey", "What" she said, "You wanna get married?", "Sure", "Alright then" .. I was 19 and she 29.. That Lasted 10 years.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Picture it! Small town, Ohio 1999. I was a produce clerk at Krogers and she was a cashier - that I found very attractive. I went through her line several times when I was buying lunch or picking up a few groceries. I tried making small talk with her but was generally too nervous. One evening her and her friend took a break together and they walked through the produce department, as they walked through I said "Hiya ladies!" and did a big sweeping wave of the hand. They looked at each other and giggled. My face turned red and I thought to myself "boy, I just blew that". Anyhow, I didn't give my chances with her much thought after that. Several weeks passed and someone (I can't remember who) told me I should ask her out on a date, I told them I would but that I didn't think it would get me far as I felt she thought I was a big dork. A few days later I looked up her number and gave her a ring and asked her out on a date. She obliged and I hung up the phone the happiest 17 year old kid in the world.

We headed up to the Lennox Center one Saturday evening to eat at Champps Americana and to watch Carie 2. She paid for dinner even though I objected several times. She told me that she didn't want me to think she came on a date with me just for a free meal (I remember thinking then that I met "the one"). I told her that if she was going to pay for dinner then I definitely needed to pay for the movie. Once the check came and she paid I told her that I needed to hit up Old Navy since it was around the corner if she didn't mind. So we headed there (hey, I was 17 and just came into some "unexpected money" and needed a new pair of jeans. LOL!) We ended up having a great time and a few weeks later we started going steady (3/16/99, to be exact ;) ). We became engaged in 2000 and married in 2002. My wife is simply the best and I fall more in love with her everyday. I don't think I could ask for a more easy going lady to spend my life with.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
my best friends aunt and my wifes mom worked together recommended that we date and we went on a blind date and we ended up getting married.....lol....not a great story like the others on here.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow, some great stories here.

I came out of a 4 yr relationship where I was engaged and nearly married to a high maintenance, demanding, materialistic bitch. She sure could give a bj, but before we tied the knot I ended it realizing I would have had a massive coronary by 40 if I followed through with it.

Now that the controlling ex was out of the picture I was in "play mode". Me and the boys partying and chasing tail every night. I was just learning to play the field and getting some confidence in myself. The last thing I wanted was a girlfriend. "Screw women" was my attitude, I didn't need them.

Erin had just come out of a long relationship with a guy that did her wrong. She was scorned and having fun with her friends. She also had the "screw men" attitude. She didn't need them. She read Cosmo all the time and wanted to have the boys chase her and then shoot them down in flames. I guess her way of getting back at the ex.

We were at BW3 one night and had never seen each other. I watched her control the room. Every guy in the place had his eyes on her. She was really working a full house that night. She was talking to a tall, well built guy, with money and smooth talking. I had one of my friends that knew the guy run diversion. Pulled "Hunky" off of her and I moved in. Found out where she worked and played it cool. Next day was Valentine's Day and I knew she was working one of the remote booths for Alltel in the mall on a Sunday morning. She was sick and I had a cold too. Both probably feeling a bit hung over. I went to the Haulmark store to buy my mom a card for Valentine's Day and casually bumped into her while she was working. The card for my mom won her heart. Dated her 6 times before she let me kiss her. Unheard of at the time. At that time in my life if I wasn't getting a bj/handy/booby play on the first date, i was moving on. There was something different about her though. In the end it was the fact that it took six dates to let our guard down and move past the "Screw women" and "screw men" attitudes. Once I kissed her, she later admitted she knew it was all over and I was "The One".

10 years, two kids, and a lot of memories (good and bad) later, here we are. She tolerates a lot, but I will never give her a "good" reason to leave me. I haven't always been the nicest husband, but she has my trust and commitment. I might be a dog, but I am a loyal dog. An a-hole, but her a-hole. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I probably don't deserve her.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Met my wife in college. We were both working toward the same degree and had a lot of the same classes together. Freshmen year we were just good friends... sophmore year we started dating... and we've been together ever since. This January will be our 4 year wedding anniversary. :)