Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

hoyt protec single cam.. opinions

swamp_donkey819

my buddy is debating on gettin a hoyt protec for a hundered bucks. its the single cam, not the cam and a half. cand find any specs on it good bow or not worth buying? comes without any sights or rest for the price. has the xt2000 limbs 60-70lb draw

Its not a bad price the ones I found online go for between 100-200 bear bow. My dad has a collection of all the hoyt product catalogs I gave him a call and he found this in the 2004 hoyt catalog. I bold print at the top of the page it says HAVE YOU EVER SEEN AN ARROW VAPOR TRAIL?
43 1/2 axle to axle
65% Let off
Draw length adjustable from 27-30
Brace Height is 8
IBO rating is 265 for the xt2000 limb and 285 for the xt3000 (the bow with really shoot around 220fps)
String length is 58.5
Cable length is 45.5

I think it would make a good bow fishing rid personally.

It will kill a deer without a problem speed isnt a big issue. the only thing i could see being hassel with this bow is the fact it has a long ata which makes it a little hard to us in a treestand. I feel like there are better used bows out there for treestand hunting the that will cost the same amout of money (shorter ATA). Hoyt hypertec, mathews Q2XL. If I were looking at a used bow in the $100 price range Id stick to mathews, hoyt, and maybe ross. Those bow makers didnt have the quility issues that the others did during those years of manufature. Id stay away from PSE and Parsons from the 2000-2007 model years.

Last edited:
Its not a bad price the ones I found online go for between 100-200 bear bow. My dad has a collection of all the hoyt product catalogs I gave him a call and he found this in the 2004 hoyt catalog. I bold print at the top of the page it says HAVE YOU EVER SEEN AN ARROW VAPOR TRAIL?
43 1/2 axle to axle
65% Let off
Draw length adjustable from 27-30
Brace Height is 8
IBO rating is 265 for the xt2000 limb and 285 for the xt3000 (the bow with really shoot around 220fps)
String length is 58.5
Cable length is 45.5

I think it would make a good bow fishing rid personally.

At those specs it sounds like a hell of a bow for spot league on a tight budget

swamp_donkey819

yea ive heard parts scattered everywhere, lol so i take it my 2002 pse team primos prolly woulnd tbe a good bow to keep ahold of huh lol anyone wanna buy a bow. thats weird cause my cousin told me the same thing about pse`s last year but never said why they got the name

Pretty shitty equipment...people made all kinds of nicksnames. My cousin had his pse shark fail twice in the same month. Pse repaired it and sent it back to him only for the thing to fail again. These storys were pretty preveilant and earned pse a bad reputation that still is a exists in the archery community.

swamp_donkey819

yea ive heard all kinds of nick names just no one ever explained why just said they were junk, me personally have never had one fail, but id also like to avoid having one fail to. so i think ill just look for a new bow and save myself the what if troubles

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Parts Scatter Everywhere.... lol

They had some bad manufacturing in the late 80's to mid 90's that gave them a bad rep. PSE and light arrows were a bad combo.

Beentown

swamp_donkey819

what about a mathews fx bow, they any good, havent been much on mathews cause they always seem to be just about there name and speed so i never really followed em but looking at a mathews fx bow all set up 200 they aint notorious for limbs failing are they ?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
IMHO you can't go wrong with Mathews. I am biased though. You can get a used Mathews on AT for really cheap alot of times.

Beentown

swamp_donkey819

right on, like i siad ive never had any experience with mathews. ive heard peopl swear they are the best bow and heard others say that they disappoint more people then any other bow