Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

i got the sickness

rossbows

Got a nice female coyote this morning. First one ever with a trap.

Attachments

• coyote 1.jpg
    coyote 1.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 150

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
There should be what we call a Whammy on the snare........It will be in the middle and slide up and down on the cable. Some are double aluminum ferrules and some look like springs. Just slide it over the end of the wire and if too big, add a small twig or whatever to take up the extra space and hold it on there tight. If your snares happen to not have a Whammy on them, I use stovepipe wire to hold snare in place ~~ Just wind it tight sorta like a spring........ I often wondered if a small piece of black tape would work.....or a small cable tie? Haven't tried it yet but bet it would work.....Good Luck!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations! Keep up the good work! If this coyote trapping thing would catch on with all deer hunters, we could reallly knock a dent in them!

rossbows

It was fun while it lasted. Im hanging it up for good with the snares. Went out this morning to check my sets and was totally disappointed in my findings better yet sick to my stomach. My second set I came to had a small doe in one around the neck. I couldn't believe it felt like shit. She was still doing good and was able to get her out. She just stood there for a few minutes while I took the snare off the tree than she ran off looked to be ok. I stood there thinking about my sets and thinking how could this had happened. They are 10in loops 6 to 8in off the ground. I always put a tree limbs over them to help avoid this problem. I went to the next six sets and had nothing still thinking what im doing wrong. As I went to the last four sets I found two more little does in the snares around the neck and they didn't make it. After seeing all of this im done with the snares. I have no idea what I was doing wrong but its not cool. The odnr says you must have deer stops and I do. You cannot have a loop an bigger than 15in and im way under that. This is just blowing my mind. If you guys have any helpful input would be great. Please no ball kicking I all ready feel like shit and they have relaxed locks.

Attachments

• doe.jpg
    doe.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited: