Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I hate to be excited about this....

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I'm not excited this time. Woke up w/ no electric. No problem. We have to go to a neighbor's funeral in a bit. Problem. The wife needs to be able to get ready. No problem. I fire up the genny & start flipping breakers back on. No electric. BIG problem. I can't get any electric into the house. The lights on the transfer switch don't light up. Things work if I plug something else into the genny, but not the house. So, I'll have to leave her in the dark & go by myself. On top of that, my whole fucking yard has gone brown this week. I'm hearing about this armyworm invasion, but its only affecting my yard & only where I have it treated. I dunno.

Sorry to see this!

I would confirm that your entire neighborhood is affected with no electric first. If so, then validate your extension cord that is plugged into the meter. If good, I'd say there's something going on with the meter plug, moisture or somethin.

You could take either that cord or a different extension cord and plug into at least one of your other duplex outlets after you physically open your transfer-switch from utility service to back-feed at least one of your electrical circuits into your home. I would try to plug it into a circuit that handles your most critical systems or needs.

Good luck Kevin! With regards to your yard, that sound nasty and hope you can get a handle on it.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Assuming that your genny has both 240v & 120v outputs, and perhaps generator breakers for those outlets, confirm that none of those breakers are tripped. If not, then again, take a regular 120v extension cord, plug it into your 120v output from your genny and plug the other end into one of your home duplex outlets after, and VERY IMPORTANT, you physically open your transfer-switch from utility electric service, so you can back-feed at least some genny electric into your home.

Just wanted to clarify because I assume your cord connected to your meter has a 240v plug connected to your genny 240v output.

Again, good luck to ya!

Last edited: