Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I hate to be excited about this....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
3696D8D5-668C-418D-9925-F5705FF38E7B.jpeg

Well Sumbitch we had to get the generator out early this morning. Bad storms rolled in around 9:30 last evening, internet/cable went out first then on/off power several times before it went out for good. Waited til 1:30 this morning to see if by chance it would come back on as the storm was quick and moved on. Got up and ran cords then fired her up. Got up around 7 to run and get gas for the day for it, saying it won't be on til after 11:30 tonight. Internet still out as well so Terry can't work from home either.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Well Sumbitch we had to get the generator out early this morning. Bad storms rolled in around 9:30 last evening, internet/cable went out first then on/off power several times before it went out for good. Waited til 1:30 this morning to see if by chance it would come back on as the storm was quick and moved on. Got up and ran cords then fired her up. Got up around 7 to run and get gas for the day for it, saying it won't be on til after 11:30 tonight. Internet still out as well so Terry can't work from home either.
Boom-boom!! Kevin got you again!😂

If this is common, you may want to consider a generac. We have one and it runs off of natural gas…really gives you piece of mind when they’re calling for bad weather.
What's strange is over the last 10 years I can think of 5-6 times we have needed one. Last year is when we got the new one we have and it was because of an outage and we had just filled our freezer prepping for Covid. Now it has been 3 times this year already that we had to use it. We have definitely been talking about the installed generator like that, it will be on the definite list when we relocate to Ohio one of these years.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We’ve lost power more this year then the past 2. Coincidentally, Duke power has been rewiring the area while this has been going on. The storms we’ve had haven’t been any worse than what we’ve had since being down here….. Luckily the longest was 10 hours….

Reactions: Big_Holla
The guy that owns the building we lease at work was just telling us about a discussion he had with a buddy of his who happens to be a head guy at DTE here in Michigan. He was explaining that the huge boom of marijuana grow facilities is putting a tremendous strain on the power grid and to start expecting more and more brown outs and power outages (for unknown reasons) than ever. Of course our situation is due to the storm that came though but it was interesting to hear. He said that any new buildings that are being built for grow facilities are being put on a 2 year wait, drag their feet kind of thing, in an attempt to slow progress down so they can catch up to the demand. Said they don't even know how they are going to accommodate electric charging stations if demand goes up.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
The small gens work great for cycling if your home and short spans. A generator to run everything is the shit but will cost more up front and during outages. Once you get one, most likely you won’t ever do without. I have a 25k generac and it was great until the house was struck by lightning. Got it fixed but always had issues here and there. Got struck two more times, nothing direct but issues have continued w it. Just had it fixed and the mfer won’t start again. Hopefully they come out before this hurricane.

Considering getting rid of it and buying a small commercial one. Could have almost bought it with all the repair cost I’ve incurred over the years. Not badmouthing generac but I’m not totally happy with it. I do love the fact that when the power goes out I’m up and running within a minute like nothing happened. And everything is powered when it’s on……as long as it’s running. It’s not cheap to run and I figured I’m using 2.5 gallons of propane per hour.

On another note, cleco our power company decided to upgrade and make everyone pay for it and prior storms. My highest bill ever was 500 in august. 3 months ago it was 500, then 600+, this last bill was 847 😡. They are skull fucking me dry. I turned my ac’s off during the day and the temp is 75 when I get home in the evening. My house is well insulated. It’s been close to a 100 degrees these last two weeks.

I can’t win!!!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm not excited this time. Woke up w/ no electric. No problem. We have to go to a neighbor's funeral in a bit. Problem. The wife needs to be able to get ready. No problem. I fire up the genny & start flipping breakers back on. No electric. BIG problem. I can't get any electric into the house. The lights on the transfer switch don't light up. Things work if I plug something else into the genny, but not the house. So, I'll have to leave her in the dark & go by myself. On top of that, my whole fucking yard has gone brown this week. I'm hearing about this armyworm invasion, but its only affecting my yard & only where I have it treated. I dunno.