Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I really got away with one tonight

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After getting busted tonight at 15 yds, I thought my night was over. Little did I know that an hour later I would get another chance for redemption.

This time, a huge doe with twin button bucks came strolling in, but on the opposite side of the creek. I'm not to proud to say that I was honestly blinded by the light of opportunity. A lot of things were working against me that should have convinced me to pass.... But I did not listen. She was on the far edge of my comfortable range at 21 yds. She was on high alert because she could see my truck. And it was a very awkward shooting position, turning hard to my right and bending over to clear some branches. I should have known better. I know better.

Anyway she stopped right where I needed her to. I came to full draw and anchored as the draw-check clicked. I loosed the arrow and instantly I knew it wasn't good. The shot itself was great. The problem was she was on such high alert that she pinwheeled hard, instantly, like I've never seen a deer pinwheel before. She ducked what seemed like 2 feet, as she spun around at the same time. Then the unthinkable happened. As I watched my arrow fly, I could tell it was going to be a clean miss and my heart began to sink. But then suddenly the old doe, while spinning and ducking, somehow lined her head up perfectly with the flight path of my arrow. I was in disbelief when I heard the smack, and watched her run away as the arrow stuck out from behind her ear. Then there was a loud crash as she ran into some remnant culvert pieces near the property line.

I was absolutely sick, disgusted, and saddened.

I climbed down as fast as I could to try to assess the situation and hopefully get another shot at her. But when I got to the culvert pipes I found a few spots of blood, and never heard her leave the thicket, so I decided to go home and wait her out for a bit.

After two hours of beating myself up, I went back to the site of last blood to take up the trail. To my surprise, I found good blood within minutes. One tree was actually sprayed pretty good. Between the blood and the fact that she ran into those culverts, I began thinking that maybe I had a chance. Sure enough, after about 35 yards, there she was down in the creek, dead as a door nail. I believe now that she was dead within minutes and I could have taken up the trail right away after all. But of course that's hindsight for you. The creek is deep and the banks are really steep, so after fishing her to the side I had to call a buddy to help get her out. It appears that the arrow buried right to the base of her skull, cutting a main arteries and her windpipe as well... probably while she ran.

So, I'm not proud of myself by any means. I am extremely thankful and happy that this deer did not suffer. I am incredibly lucky because I know this could have gone so much worse. Looking back on my decision making, obviously I made a poor choice. The combination of those factors working against me should have kept me from sending an arrow. My excitement certainly got the best of me. But I will not forget this experience and it'll undoubtedly be in the back of my mind every time I draw back on another deer with my recurve. I'm just thankful I can learn from it while still having a positive outcome.

F93B728C-A0B5-48BA-9413-85896367D049.jpeg
ABC89B5C-CFFF-411F-8FC0-FB4ABD0CF40E.jpeg
BA6C5253-440F-41A3-9149-03ED2E60C4FF.jpeg

Lucky

Sunbury
Nice Jim... Shows you learn with every hunt. Sometimes its something small and other hunts things are learned that youll think of every hunt. It was definatly made to happen, that doe had a destiny with you. Its unreal the quickness that hunting, especially bow hunting, can make feelings and emotions go from one extreme to the other in miliseconds. Some deer just are meant for you and some arent. Now you got great meat, its a little easier waitn on the big boy.

Jamie

Ohio
fortunate outcome. could have been much worse, but dead is dead. I agree that it was not a good choice to shoot at a deer in the circumstance you described. today, no way I would not have taken that shot, but 30 years ago I might have. I don't shoot at them any more unless they beg me for an arrow, but nothing dies unless we put some arrows in the air. congrats on recovering your deer.

It all worked out in the end as it was intended to. Deer sure have a way of doing the complete unexpected and doing it very fast, this was a great example. I always remember my dad's story of one of his first deer he killed with a recurve. He was behind a clump of trees as the doe went past him on the other side, less than 10 yards away completely relaxed. On the release that deer whirled so quickly and he hit it in the opposite hip!! Luckily the arrow hit the main artery and it bled out fast, I guess as it was intended to.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I will definitely be more conservative on my shot choices from here on out. I think that, after shooting that buck last year, and all the practice I put in this summer, my confidence level may have been just a little bit inflated. This was a humbling experience and it snapped me back into reality. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you think you are... You have to account for those things beyond our control.