Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I think something nice took a snow nap

OO2

In the Uplands
I would like to preface this post that I should have wrapped up my season on 29 Sept when I got on a hot pattern of the deer hitting the still green beans. Had an awesome hunt that night, as I was covered up in deer. It is worth noting now that I had my compound instead of the recurve as I felt I didn’t practice enough to earn recurve privileges. This decision likely cost me the buck. A nice buck pops out of the cover and immediately works in front of me perfectly broadside at 10 yards but I couldn’t get the dang release on the D-loop. He works out to 30 yards, slightly quartering away now, I stop him, settle and release the arrow. To this day I don’t know what happened. All I know is I heard a smack and watched in horror as the buck bounded off with my arrow barely penetrating his shoulder. Ended up trailing and searching for that buck the next few days never to find him as the collective thought was that it was a non-lethal hit. Ended up seeing him a month later and catch glimpses of him every now and again. My wounding of this buck weighed/ weighs very heavily on me.

Today, more so than usual, the above story bothered me as I was bundling up to head to the stand. It was a good reminder to settle down and pick a spot for the next hours to come.

Got into the stand today around 3 after getting all bundled and smoked up. As I was climbing up the tree I noticed the usual does in the woods about 50-60 yards away. I was thankful for the thick coating of snow on all the branches that helped hide my figure from them. I got settled in as they moved through and pulled the muzzy up.

As the afternoon wore on does and fawns trickled through the woods, following the same path the last three nights by my other stand. I was texting @Boarhead contemplating getting down and doing a slow walk about to the other stand to see what was pulling all the deer to that part of the woods. He told me to go with my gut. As more deer moved through to that area my gut told me to check it out. After they cleared out I removed the primer and climbed down. I made my way to a vantage point to observe where they would be going and upon my arrival I saw no deer.

At this point I was at a fork in the road and had to make a quick decision as it was now about 4:30. The decision was, stay at my new spot or return to the stand I have watched bucks walk by time after time while I have been in other stands at the farm.

Off I went back to my original spot, hopeful that a buck would show with the cold temps and snow. I arrive back to my original spot and make the climb back up the ladder. I get up to the top of the stand and there stands a doe about 175 yards away in the field. I slowly raise muzzleloader up from the ground as she runs out to the field.

To my amazement a buck was in pursuit, casually bumping her around. I fumbled with the primer trying to get it back in the muzzleloader all the while watching their movement. I watch this bump and feed cycle go on for what felt like an eternity as they stayed about 200 yards away.

Eventually the deer work off and I figure the hunt is all but over. I return the muzzleloader to the bow hanger and put my hands in my pockets to get some feeling back in them as I continually glance over my shoulder.

This buck was the only deer to re-enter the field. As he got closer I could tell it was the buck I hadn’t got a shot on with a bow earlier in November due to how fast he worked through the set. Fortunately for me this time he decided to cut across the snow laden bean field right to the stand. I range him at 175, 150, 100, 75, ... and put the range finder away once he hit the 75 yard mark. This stand was setup and trimmed with recurve hunting in mind so I had to stop him before he went any further as there were no windows if he continued his path. Thankfully he stopped in a window quartering to, I placed the crosshairs on his shoulder, picked a spot, and pulled the trigger.

He took off running hard back to cover but he was running like I had put a good shot on him. He made it 50 yards from impact. At this point I made a round of calls and started the work!

I am very thankful to have had this opportunity and even more relieved to have capitalized on it.

If anyone is interested I am shooting a CVA Optima V2 with 110 grains (volume) of Blackhorn 209 topped off with a 300 grain Hornady STP.

Thank you all for taking the time to read!

Fletch

Supporting Member
Congrats on a great buck.... As Giles said: "Guess you kept your powder dry".... But your cliff notes didn't say: Did you have your rubber on when you shot????........... Again.. Congrats....