Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If you could go back..

Huckleberry Finn

Sounds like you are on the right track Jake. I'll offer this up regarding sports and education...

I turned down two outright scholarships and a third "offer" from a private school (couldn't give athletic scholarships) to play baseball. I did so because I came to the realization that my playing days were best left at the high school level. Could I have played A ball at some point? Maybe. But I would have wasted the best years of my life chasing a pipe dream. OU was a great fit for me on an educational level and on a personal level. It took me a while to realize I had zero regrets about not taking the opportunity to play at the next level, but it was the right choice. That may no be so for you, but make sure to give it some serious thought. College is about education first and all other things second. Adding a sport to the mix really complicates things...

x2, hanging up my cleats was the best decision I made. My friend and former roommate who has been a 4 year varsity athlete wishes that he did too. College is for education and you can play intramurals on the side.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That's always been a big problem I've had, I always blow money and I'm terrible at saving up, now I've gotten better this year with the mowing but I didnt save enough to make it through the winter..thankfully I'm working this weekend at the sportsman club. But anyhow, thats the MAIN thing my parents have preached to me..save save save.

I haven't really spent a lot of time in this thread, but I saw this post and it reminded me of a chart that I wish I would have seen when I was your age. It shows the power of saving topped with compound interest.

ai_115584-2.jpg

matt hougan

Dayton area
my biggest mistake in life is not deciding what I wanted to do in life. I am now 41 years old and am again looking at another career change. The folks I admire most and see the most fullfillment in life are those that decided early what they wanted to do in life and stuck to it. They set thier goals and did not settle. What ever you decide to be, do so prayerfully. I never regretted my college experience and I am proud of my militray experience. Both, I highly recommend. We can all sit here and make suggestions to you but really you need to find a quiet corner of the woods and be alone and ask for guidance and wisdom until you are sure which direction your most at peace with. Not to be preachy, but I beleive that in order to be truely happy you need to follow the path the Lord has in mind for you. I have been reluctant to give up control and until now I have failed miserably. The only thing that keeps me from being completely depressed about the foolish decisions I have made is my belief that this life is temporary and the fact that God doesnt care what kid of house you had, or the clothes you wore, or the car you drove. All he cares about is that you loved him and tried to follow him as best you could, everything else is clutter.

Sorry for evangelising!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
my biggest mistake in life is not deciding what I wanted to do in life. I am now 41 years old and am again looking at another career change. The folks I admire most and see the most fullfillment in life are those that decided early what they wanted to do in life and stuck to it. They set thier goals and did not settle. What ever you decide to be, do so prayerfully. I never regretted my college experience and I am proud of my militray experience. Both, I highly recommend. We can all sit here and make suggestions to you but really you need to find a quiet corner of the woods and be alone and ask for guidance and wisdom until you are sure which direction your most at peace with. Not to be preachy, but I beleive that in order to be truely happy you need to follow the path the Lord has in mind for you. I have been reluctant to give up control and until now I have failed miserably. The only thing that keeps me from being completely depressed about the foolish decisions I have made is my belief that this life is temporary and the fact that God doesnt care what kid of house you had, or the clothes you wore, or the car you drove. All he cares about is that you loved him and tried to follow him as best you could, everything else is clutter.

Sorry for evangelising!

Some of the best advice I've gotten Matt! I reread that 5 times..taking it all in.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jesse I think the point to the chart is "long-term" investing. Of course your going to have years that don't have as much return as others but generally over the long hawl it averages out.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In regards to the collegiate sports thing...

Like Jesse said, it's definitely not for everyone. If you play a sport in college, at any level, you will be forced to dedicate a SIGNIFICANT amount of time to said sport. Think of it like a job, except you don't get paid for it. Obviously it's not exactly like a job because it's something (I'm assuming) you've always enjoyed doing. That being said, when you play college sports, the level of skill increases and abundance of that skill increases... You may have been "king shit" in high school but guess what, in college sports everyone on that field or court was "king shit" in High School. The level of competitiveness is far beyond that of the high school days. It then becomes ALL about winning, and having fun becomes secondary.

I'm not trying to scare you away from it... I just want you to be aware of some things while you think it over... These are things that most young athletes don't realize until they've already gone into it. It takes a shit load of effort to (successfully) juggle academics and sports in college. Some can do it, some can't. During season, you can expect to travel and miss 2 or 3 days of classes in a week's time. The only problem with that is, the professors don't give a damn and you're still expected to perform in the classroom just like everyone else.

I played baseball at a D3 private school and to be quite honest it was an experience that I would never trade, for anything... and I only played two years. I got to travel to places I'd never been, saw things I'd never seen, and met people that I'd otherwise never met. I was in the best shape of my life and it felt amazing. The guys on my team were like brothers to me. But here's the kicker... Over the course of two full seasons, my GPA decreased every single semester. The further I went in school, the harder my courses became, and the less I could afford to "play catch-up." Knowing that I would never in a million years play Pro ball, I decided my baseball career had to end... Hardest thing I've ever done, by far. Giving up something I had done since I could walk did not sit well with me. But it was just reality.

Here's something to help you visualize just how much college sports affect academics. I was an Environmental Biology major. The last semester before giving up baseball, my GPA was down to 2.96. After I quit, my remaining semester GPA's were 4.0, 3.7, 3.9, 4.0.... and believe me, my last two years of courses were much tougher than the first two.

Like I said, I'm not trying to scare you buddy. Just be aware that if you want to play basketball in college AND be successful in the classroom, you'll have to work at least 3 times harder than anyone else. I can guarantee you, though, that it would be something you'd never regret doing.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I understand what you mean there JB. At times it's even hard to juggle sports and school in highschool, and honestly high school is really is. So times the work by like 3 or 4 and the amount of time I would spend on basketball by 2 or 3 and thats alot of time taken up. I like to think that I would be able to handle it all, but it seems pretty stressful..which is something I definitly dont want.
And this is all assuming I did make it to OU-C. Whihch right now is probly kinda unlikely. You're visualization really made it clear too.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
We're talking about financial aid and how to invest and save your money right now in Gov't. It really fits well with life and what I need to be looking into. I'm still 100% up in the air on what I'm gonna do. I keep going back and forth and changing my mind. I'm just gonna move to Alabama and flip houses lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Flipping houses is a rough way to make a living! That's what I wanted to do also, then the market tanked. So much for that! :smiley_blackeye:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
marry for money..or land..ugly can be overcome with new toys and places to hunt...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Just a little update..
I'm 90% sure i'll be getting on with the city this summer, doing season/street mantainance. I have a few in's there and they said the job is basically mine. So if anything else, this will get my foot in the door and may lead to another job in the future..i'm hoping. So this is good news to me, we'll see where it leads!