Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

IKS

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Congrats! I’ve never been lucky enough to get a double beard. How many birds are you allowed in Kentucky?

Two. One per day. NR license is like 140. And the turkey permit is around 85, you can kill two birds on that permit.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did you have them roosted then? Or go in blind? From your write up it sounded like: We showed up. Grabbed a spot. Nothing happening. Alex on his phone. Me near napping. Boom. Boom. We done.

Not knocking. Not jealous. Just laughing. You two knuckleheads have some crazy turkey adventures annually. lol Congrats.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Did you have them roosted then? Or go in blind? From your write up it sounded like: We showed up. Grabbed a spot. Nothing happening. Alex on his phone. Me near napping. Boom. Boom. We done.

Not knocking. Not jealous. Just laughing. You two knuckleheads have some crazy turkey adventures annually. lol Congrats.

We had some roosted that didn't gobble and we never saw them. Then we put on 3 miles of walking and calling trying to strike up a bird. About 10:30 we sat down and it happened about like you say. He looked up and saw a stutter coming. There were two Tom's dogging a single hen. They had to have been close when we sat down but they never gobbled, even when coming in strutted up and drumming they never gobbled. I think we actually enticed the hen to come in and not the Tom's. She probably wanted them off her ass. It went from "well shit" to "holy shit did that just happen" in 60 seconds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hopefully.
15552439659034367231194828006976.jpg
Today is a wet soggy mess. Setup on a ridge top field cold calling.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the update. I figured you two had some roosted. Going in blind isn't your style but then again, out of state. . . Hard to have much scouting/Intel from a distance.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I hope your bow hunting this morning. Unless you have a kid or it’s pissing cats and dogs I find it gay to hunt out of a blind for turkeys.... just saying [emoji23]

Pissing cats and dogs wasnt the word for it. The quad paths had small rivers running down them. We set the blind last night because we knew it would start raining about 2 am, we figured they hit the ridge top field a little after daylight. No dice. Back to the rock wall ridge.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
It was a fantastic time. I think we killed birds in every possible situation now lol. Joe set the deke out, hits his glass call while im settling on a tree. Im facing the deke on a ridge top, after joe didnt get a response he hits his vape, and decides to nest up on a tree as you guys saw in the picture. Luckily this ridge top provided a 4g network so i pressumed to pass the time trying to photo shop pics of joe while he cat napped on snap chat lol. We werent settled but a few minutes and i looked up and seen a bird full strutt 60 yards away. "joe dont move, joe joe joe dont move, strutter!" I was facing them as joe was on a wide enough tree to cover his back but facing away from them. They began to J hook on an old stone wall right next to joe. I started frantically whispering yelling to joe " get your ass up, back to the tree! back to the tree...theyre coming right next to you!" when i saw his chance. Joe gave me a look like i was joking but i was caught off guard my self, panicing to grab my diaphram, throw my half face camo on, throw my red dot on then prepare, all the while glancing back and forth on the birds keeping tabs. I think Joe got the point. I let out a slutty "im here for the taking" hoping they would give away their gobbling positions, but all we got was a spit and drum. Good enough. I yelled whispering, " do you see them?" I saw a full fan walloping towards joes side, 20 yards away, by that time joe was on his knees, gave me a thumbs up, bobbing and weeving aiming his gun, bird was in fulk strutt next to him . Shazzam. I stood up and stepped right and shazzam.

I went a few weeks before muzzy season in KY to try my luck and the amount of birds between the 2 properties blew my mind. I had a camera a mere 30 yards from our sleeping position this past december.