Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Investing

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I’ve always throttled everything back in election years, just been my thing too do. End of 2019 was no different. Don’t get the returns but don’t get any surprises either. It’s served me well over the years. Too be honest I don’t even remember why I even started doing it. May have been the whole Busch/Gore debacle back in the day. Talked too some former coworkers who didn’t and are regretting that move, especially the ones within a couple years of retirement. Little too no time to recoup from it.
See, anyone within a few years of retiring should be throttling back anyway, regardless of an election year or not. Not doing so is too careless and risky. But for the latter 12 years or so of a career, I bet your approach would be pretty effective, J. Something I should probably remember but I’m sure I will forget. 😂

Reactions: aholdren

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
See, anyone within a few years of retiring should be throttling back anyway, regardless of an election year or not. Not doing so is too careless and risky. But for the latter 12 years or so of a career, I bet your approach would be pretty effective, J. Something I should probably remember but I’m sure I will forget. 😂
Early on, risk vs reward. Balls too the wall... Once you’re within 10, a little more conservative. Within 5 conservative.

Reactions: jagermeister

Cogz

Cogz
TX
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/historic-chinese-bonds-trump-leverage-beijing

The Lewisburg, Tennessee-based American Bondholder Foundation holds $1.6 trillion of century-old Chinese debt, including interest, dating to before the founding of the communist People’s Republic of China, that it wants the administration's help in redeeming. There is an estimated $6 trillion or more of the debt outstanding worldwide.

The bonds were issued by the Republic of China -- which ousted the imperial government in a coup -- as far back as 1912 and backed by gold; they were defaulted on in 1938. The ROC government fled to Taiwan, where it remains the official ruling body, after Mao Zedong’s communist party took over following the 1949 end of the revolution.

Beijing maintains Taiwan is part of China, and under international law, successor governments are responsible for the debts of their predecessors.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Emotional decisions lead to bad outcomes with $.....walk away for a bit.

Now is not the time to do a baseline check.

Wise man. I had a list of companies I wanted to buy. Giant blue chips. Had a number in mind for each one. Didn't want to exceed it. I let emotion get to me. I had the fear of missing out nagging me. I don't have big money to gamble. So I'm buying as little as 20 shares. My mind said "pay up another dollar. It's only $20 more. In the end that is nothing." They kept climbing higher. I paid $2-3-4-5 higher for some. My mind "20 shares at $5/share more than you want is only $100. In the long term that won't hurt you. They will make much more in the long run." I listened to myself justifying paying up. I got them all bought. Now some of them are down $100-200 each. Ha! I should have patiently kept putting in my orders at the numbers I wanted to buy in. I'd own the stocks now for less money. Oh well. I'm in it for the long haul. It won't kill me. It was a great lesson in patience and removing emotion.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
13% upswing in the value of my account since last week and back in the black. Lots of the stocks I follow have hit 52-week highs in the last week. I follow and don't own because of where they were positioned and they've only gotten more expensive. Tesla is killing it, as is one of my biotech firms and they're basically carrying the load.

Reactions: jagermeister

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
13% upswing in the value of my account since last week and back in the black. Lots of the stocks I follow have hit 52-week highs in the last week. I follow and don't own because of where they were positioned and they've only gotten more expensive. Tesla is killing it, as is one of my biotech firms and they're basically carrying the load.
Yesterday was a heck of a day for the market. It’s definitely encouraging. Hopefully it can keep some momentum going!

COB this past Friday I was down 14%. Yesterday at the peak I was back up about 5%. Currently, I’m still in the black, but only up 1.5%. I feel good about it considering I got nervous and lost my ass on 133 shares of INO stock that I never should have sold. Just another reminder... patience is good, fear is bad.

Reactions: 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All of the stocks I bought when the market was down are about break even or up a tad. I should have been patient. I could have bought them for the prices I initially wanted to. They started to climb. I got impatient and spent a little more. They dropped backed down. Now they are back up. Oh well. I still bought them at good prices to hold for the long term. I anticipate a lot of yo yo prices to come. Seems like the market moves on the media. It should move on the fundamentals of the company.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's safe to look again... 😂

If I pulled everything I invested today, I'd have turned 10% on my $ in 6 weeks. It'll be fun to look back in many years to see how things have come and gone. Good strong surge the last few days, which is definitely encouraging not just for my investment, but my day job.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Much like deer hunting, the "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" of investing can be haunting. Wayfair his an all time low of $21.70 at the bottom in March. Let's say you bought 10 shares for $217.10. They're stock has climbed back to $187.57, meaning a gain of $1,658.60 in 9 weeks. Impressive missed opportunity for me and many others 😂

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Much like deer hunting, the "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" of investing can be haunting. Wayfair his an all time low of $21.70 at the bottom in March. Let's say you bought 10 shares for $217.10. They're stock has climbed back to $187.57, meaning a gain of $1,658.60 in 9 weeks. Impressive missed opportunity for me and many others 😂
Yea there’s a bunch of em across the board. Facebook also hit an all time high, after that tremendous drop in March. So many other examples. My wife got on my ass in March for putting a bunch of money in... kept telling me I was too early, we should wait, etc etc etc. Needless to say, she’s not saying shit now. Wait, actually she said to me, “why didn’t you buy more?” I could’ve smacked her. 😂

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yea there’s a bunch of em across the board. Facebook also hit an all time high, after that tremendous drop in March. So many other examples. My wife got on my ass in March for putting a bunch of money in... kept telling me I was too early, we should wait, etc etc etc. Needless to say, she’s not saying shit now. Wait, actually she said to me, “why didn’t you buy more?” I could’ve smacked her. 😂
😂😂😂

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It sure feels like a ticking time bomb. Fundamentals have been out the window for months, watch it fellas:

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/e2617016-6655-3013-bb1e-f787f5940004/stock-market-legend-who.html
And I’m sure there’s someone just as reputable making comments 100% contrary to this guy. Who really knows what is going to happen? Whatever happens, happens. In my extremely short active exposure to the stock market, one thing I’ve noticed is there’s always some “investment professional” blabbing about their projection of what the future holds, on any given day. It just seems very similar to me to the national news media... How can you decipher the truth out of all of it? It’s frustrating to me. One day, bulls are touting how great things are. Next day, bears are saying “I told you fuckers the market would take a dump!” And round and round it goes. I don’t know where I’m going with all this... Except that I guess I don’t really know what I can and can’t trust regarding stock market predictions. And I’m not going to subscribe to newsletters or spend hours researching every little thing. So I guess I’ll just look back at a stock’s 5 or 10 year history, buy when I think it’s low enough, and then wait it out. Actually, I probably won’t even screw with buying stock in individual companies outside of crises such as this COVID thing. Outside of that it’ll be ETFs and Mutual Funds for me.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Oh absolutely JB. You can read 10 headlines in a row and they all contradict themselves.

I just shared because we are in that rebound mode, and find the shape of the actual "V" or "U", or "W" interesting. Housing permits ticked up and there are a few other positives, just hope she maintains.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Spot on, Jim. Look at the fundamentals of the company. Make your decision. Have an exit strategy as well. Make a note card when you buy a stock. Write down the reasons you bought it. Write down the goals of owning it. Write down when you will sell it or why you would sell it. Write down what you paid for it. Go back thru your notes periodically.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Might be, but if you sell right, it doesn't matter if it busts. I'm going to sell it next week if things keep up, then wait for the bust, then go back in heavily. Elon is as safe a bet as there is in the market.