Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's about contest time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Now come on Jimmy.......Thats not hardly fair.... Im due for a goose egg........The good fortune has to run out at some point.....This year could very well be the year..... I am going into this year with very low expectations.... Just gotta wait it out and see

I think I can speak on behalf of the BIG RACK SNATCHERS and say we will be staying a team once again this year!!!!!! I really dont think any of them will have any objections as long as its allowed by the powers that be......So are you cool with that Ryan???[/QUOTE]

Good by me....

Can I trade Jesse for two kids too be named at another time???? :smiley_clap: rotflmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just my opinion but I never really liked the idea of keeping the winning team. I think it's more fun For all involved when it's completely random. Reason being is it keeps it absolutely completely fair and random. It's anybody's game by luck of the draw. By keeping in existing team that was a powerhouse last year some may feel that no matter the luck of the draw they are already behind the curve from the word go. Even professional sports go through a draft every year. I say put them all back in, shuffle them up and let the cards fall where they may. A "defend the title" and the rest being random changes the entire dynamics of the contest. It then becomes more of a king of the hill scenario. I don't know I just think it's more fun, exciting, and suspenseful for all involved when you know from the start that it's anyone's ball game.

At the end of the season you can still take that previously winning team members, add up their scores and see if they beat everybody again this year. If the did they're the all-stars.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just my opinion but I never really liked the idea of keeping the winning team. I think it's more fun For all involved when it's completely random. Reason being is it keeps it absolutely completely fair and random. It's anybody's game by luck of the draw. By keeping in existing team that was a powerhouse last year some may feel that no matter the luck of the draw they are already behind the curve from the word go. Even professional sports go through a draft every year. I say put them all back in, shuffle them up and let the cards fall where they may. A "defend the title" and the rest being random changes the entire dynamics of the contest. It then becomes more of a king of the hill scenario. I don't know I just think it's more fun, exciting, and suspenseful for all involved when you know from the start that it's anyone's ball game.

At the end of the season you can still take that previously winning team members, add up their scores and see if they beat everybody again this year. If the did they're the all-stars.

As usual, you have a good point. Here is a thought on a compromise: Term limits on winning teams. Say 2 years or 3 years or something. No more life long teams and lobbyist groups lining their pockets. No more losing reality with society. No more skewed senses of reality. Oh wait, we aren't talking about congress are we. lmao

Seriously not a bad thought on your part. If it meets resistance then maybe a 2-3 year maximum time limit to defend their titles.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As usual, you have a good point. Here is a thought on a compromise: Term limits on winning teams. Say 2 years or 3 years or something. No more life long teams and lobbyist groups lining their pockets. No more losing reality with society. No more skewed senses of reality. Oh wait, we aren't talking about congress are we. lmao

Seriously not a bad thought on your part. If it meets resistance then maybe a 2-3 year maximum time limit to defend their titles.

They can still defend it while on separate teams. Once added up at the end if they beat everyone again they're the all-stars. If they can't then there is a new All-star team to beat next season.

There would essentially be two goals. Not only win the competition. But score more than the all-stars. It's like a post season all-star game.

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro

I kind of wish it was more like a draft. Random draw can still lead to powerhouse teams vs. longshots. The more even the teams the funner the contest and the less its about "luck of the draw".

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

After three years in a row, a team should be able to make a rule, just like Kings! Just sayin'

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I kind of wish it was more like a draft. Random draw can still lead to powerhouse teams vs. longshots. The more even the teams the funner the contest and the less its about "luck of the draw".

Well that would include variables and stats way out of manageable abilities. You would have to come up with an entire system of abilities that would be impossible to score.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I'm in again for this year. I'm good with same rules and scoring, and also just one antlerless. Doesn't matter to me either way.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Only one antlerless. If you don't kill a buck can you still use an antlerless for your second deer? Not all of us are big buck (or little buck) killers every year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I really liked the way the contest was scored last year as well. One doe limit sounds fine TOO. I think Joe had a great point about the teams starting all over again.

Count me in.

Kaiser878

ohio

I would agree with this had we won by a landslide...But we didnt...Honestly we almost didnt win, your team was nipping at our heals and keeping us honest the whole time.... In reality the odds of us winning again are slim.... Last year our team was just very fortunate...That being said I think we should get atleast one chance to defend our title......

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would agree with this had we won by a landslide...But we didnt...Honestly we almost didnt win, your team was nipping at our heals and keeping us honest the whole time.... In reality the odds of us winning again are slim.... Last year our team was just very fortunate...That being said I think we should get atleast one chance to defend our title......

So if I read that correctly, this is your sugar coated way to tell Joe he is just being a sore loser?:smiley_crocodile:

)I am rolling with the ornery little devil on my left shoulder. He already kicked the angels booty off my right shoulder. lmao)

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Count me in! And I like the kids idea, I'm sure they'd love to feel included. As far as the rules go, I'm cool with whatever. It's always fun!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

You can. Once season is over we'll add up all your scores and see if you beat this seasons winning team. If you do, you retain the all-star title. It's basically the same thing. Except it retains the random draw of the contest.

The problem isn't the top three teams being close. It's the other teams who deserve to have every card put back I the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.